Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by SaveAtlacamani, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Tangle Kerbal Crasher

The Federalized Republic of Howard's Landing
    How does it maintain ice? Is it near the poles?

Imperator Frank likes this.
  2. Imperator Frank Member

EDIT: I'm sorry, i was really tired and didn't understand your question. the ice thing was a mistake on my part, i went back and fixed it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    SaveAtlacamani likes this.
  3. Falkanner Armchair Cartographer

I'm just leaving this here since I have no intention of completing it.

The way I made it was actually pretty interesting. I started out with an MS Paint doc that was 2 x 4 pixels, and I colored in a few pixels green and the rest of them blue. Then, I scaled it up by 2 and added more detail. I repeated this until the map was so large that adding detail was taking too long, and I simply imported the end result to G-Projector. If anyone wants to use it or touch it up, please do so.

Untitled map.png

4. Imperator Frank Member

That's an awesome way of generating a surface for a planet.

SaveAtlacamani likes this.
  5. CannedTech Antifa is my city Donor

upload_2017-8-9_23-46-49.png

WIP for a revamped Triton map, likely highly inaccurate, but based on this. I'll likely add some fluff for aesthetic purposes though just so it isn't so wonky since there's just the southern hemisphere in detail on that map.

6. CannedTech Antifa is my city Donor

upload_2017-8-10_21-11-8.png

And the hopefully somewhat ok final product.

7. Mr. Orwell Well-Known Member

IMG_9313.PNG
    A planet in a scenario I had made with a friend in 10th grade, his was my map of 1 of 4 extra planets in our solar systems goldy lox zone. That is the planet after human conquest (vengeance for 1899, also because my friend wanted these aliens to invade us). Some info...

Poseidon
    *World Type: Humid jungle land surface, ocean world
    *Main Species: Cthulites; Molluskite
    *Main Resources: Metals, Oil, Crystal
    *Situation: Currently in a state of Cold War between the land and water nations. The two main superpowers are the Permites and the Silurians. World technology has stayed the same for relatively a century.

Flashman and Blind like this.
  8. VenusUberAlles Member

Is there any other Alternate History timeline behind this? I was just wondering about the distribution of the territory.

9. Mr. Orwell Well-Known Member

10. dartingfog Well-Known Member

I assume this is a kind of lox found at Goldy's Deli, served with bagel and schmear.

11. dartingfog Well-Known Member

Orbital eccentricity would be nice to know, especially if it is greater than 0.1 or so. If it's greater than that, you will get a weird resonance thing like Mercury has (which, like your planet, has a solar day twice as long as its year). If it's less than that, your planet will be tide locked and it would have a sidereal day length that is identical to its year (in your case, 36 days). Your planet's synodic (or solar) day would be infinite.

12. Imperator Frank Member

What do you recommend?

13. VenusUberAlles Member

14. Mr. Orwell Well-Known Member

The Italians and Iberians managed to work out deals with other nations to annex more land into their small territory, specifically land still held up with rebels or non profitable area's. Otherwise it was kinda random borders.

VenusUberAlles likes this.
  15. dartingfog Well-Known Member

I'm not an astrophysicist, but...

I would say somewhere around Mercury's eccentricity (0.1-0.3) is about right. Any less than that, and you will get tide-locking. The Earth's Moon has an orbital eccentricity of 0.05, so mild eccentricity probably leads to tide-locking rather than 3:2 resonance like Mercury. As eccentricity increases, however, you can get some even more exotic spin-orbit resonances, including 2:1, 5:2, 3:1, 7:2, 4:1, 9:2, and 5:1. See Figure 8 in this article (it's near the end): http://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...03EC960C8A8526888FE.c1.iopscience.cld.iop.org

Basically what this means is that in order to get the "weirder" resonances, you need a higher orbital eccentricity. In Mercury's case, at an orbital eccentricity of 0.20, there is a 100% chance that a Mercury-like planet will have a 3:2 resonance and a 30% chance of a 2:1 resonance. A higher orbital eccentricity (around .35), will mean that you get a 2:1 resonance, rather than 3:2.

16. tom Member

17. dartingfog Well-Known Member

I've seen this before, and it's interesting, but I don't particularly like it. The problem I have with it is that it only gives you solar systems very similar to our own, with an Earth-sized Pluto at the end of it. No Hot Jupiters and no planets with high eccentricity orbits like the ones astronomers are finding. Of course, those systems probably aren't hospitable to Earth-like life.

Zaffre and ThePoliteCannibal like this.
  18. Municipal Engines The Worst Kind of Heretic

I'm utterly loving all of this, though I can't for the life of me figure out what the light brown and dark brown represent on terraformed planets.

19. Tangle Kerbal Crasher

The Federalized Republic of Howard's Landing
    Uninhabitable areas and especially icy uninhabitable areas.

ThePoliteCannibal likes this.
  20. Hapsburg Robrotrenominator

Overhead view of the Milky Way as politically understood by humanity, circa 2390. It has been 9 years since the Republic of Orion won its independence from the Terran Federation. A trade treaty was completed the previous year, and both space nations begin in earnest a friendship and alliance to peacefully expand among the stars and engage in valuable trade with one another.

2390.png