Alternate Names for USA

JUst trying to think of other possible alternative names that the founding fathers may have considered

umm..

Commonwealth of North America?
E Pluribusunum??
New Brittannia
Jeffersonville???

E Pluribusunum and New Brittannia are ASB but a Commonwealth rather than a Republic is certainly plausible with some very minor changes.

Columbia. Really, it's a little surprising the Founders didn't go with that, since I believe it was fairly common to refer to the Thirteen Colonies collectively as Columbia.

I had always considered it an amusing possibility that had people taken Amerigo's last name as the continental name rather than the first, we could have the United States of Vespuccia. Just as silly really.

What say you, Vespuccians?

If Edmund Andros hadn't been quite so aggressive, the Dominion of New England could have been expanded to all 13 colonies, and thus all of the United States of OTL today would have been known as New England, not just the Northeast.

If Edmund Andros hadn't been quite so aggressive, the Dominion of New England could have been expanded to all 13 colonies, and thus all of the United States of OTL today would have been known as New England, not just the Northeast.

Interesting, but I never heard they had further plans to expand it. I'da thunk making a Dominion out of the south would happen.

Anyways, Fredon was proposed (plural adjective Fredes/Fredish, poetic name Fredonia): http://books.google.com/books?id=aY...ct=result#v=onepage&q=Fredonia Fredes&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=ne...result&resnum=8&ct=result#v=onepage&q&f=false

I had always considered it an amusing possibility that had people taken Amerigo's last name as the continental name rather than the first, we could have the United States of Vespuccia. Just as silly really.

What say you, Vespuccians?
That MAY not be true. Here's an article about three possible origins for America.

There is a chance that America could have been called Mosquito instead.

Thande

Donor
Some of the ones considered in OTL by the US founding fathers were "Freedonia" or "Fredonia" (its inhabitants would have been called "Fredes", rhymes with Swedes - no, honestly), "Appalachia", "Alleghenia", and most popularly "Columbia". Of course people forget the USA is really the USNA - all the early documents give it the more rational name of "The United States of North America", but that was soon dropped.

If you go further back in PODs you get things like Virginia or Florida, both of which were used at different points to refer to the whole of North America.

Interesting, but I never heard they had further plans to expand it. I'da thunk making a Dominion out of the south would happen.

By the time it was dissolved in 1689 the Dominion of New England also included New York and the two colonies that would eventually become New Jersey. The idea had merit in the eyes of many colonists (it was meant as a defensive measure against the French) but when Andros started shutting down the Town Meetings, playing with property rights, and trying to promote the Church of England, that's when folks started getting angry...

The colonies were called Provinces.

United Provinces of America.

Or...

United Provinces of the American Republic.

Or...

The United Provinces of the Republic of North America.

King Thomas

Banned
If the orginal USA had become known as a Confederacy, you could have had the Southern side forming a Union in 1861-same Civil War, but with the Union side fighting partly to keep slavery instead of OTL's Confederates being the pro-slavery side.