Alternate names for the Republican Party

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
19254r.jpg

The Workers and Farmers Party!

In that the expansion of slavery threatened both. Although from my modern perspective, I cannot fully wrap my mind around how it was the expansion of slavery which was most viscerally objected to.

Thomas1195

Banned
Given that there were significant number of German Forty-Eighters in the newly formed Republican Party IOTL. Eventually several years after that, the first progressive/liberal political party in Germany was established as German Progress Party.

So, American Progress Party?

What Fanboy said. Could also just be shortened to "Union Party" or "Unionist Party", harkening back to its legacy as the party that saved the Union. That, or the "Liberty Party", harkening back to its anti-slavery roots (invokes the song "Lincoln and Liberty Too").

Last edited:

VadisDeProfundis

Gone Fishin'
Perhaps the Progressive Party sticks around and is something of a factor, but at the end of the day doesn't amount to much; and the two parties end up merging to form the Progressive Republican Party?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
The expansion of slavery would mean that instead of hiring free whites, factory/plantation owners would just buy slaves.
Oh, I understand how slavery undermines free labor. I'm just questioning why the focus on the expansion into new territory.

And I think a big part of the reason is that we as human beings tend to focus on change, and not so much on baseline numbers. Although in this case, arguably, this tendency very much played to strength.

American Party? National Party? Constitutional Party?

Definitely not the American Party. That name was already in use by the Know-Nothings.

You could see a situation where the Know-Nothings become the dominant opposition party to the Democrats, meaning that it is the American Party versus the Democratic Party.

But that's gonna be a very different United States (and, I suspect, the American Party is going to have to moderste its stance on immigration to stand any chance whatsoever). But I'm digressing.