Alternate names for republican head of state

Hmmm....
Some more from old english.

Dightner = Manager (from dight (diht) meaning dictate)
So maybe Landsdightner or Rikesdightner or Statesdightner.
Hātanera = Commander/ caller (from Hāt, meaning spoken/call).

Really deep we might conjure up Ombight which meant official. So Overombight, or Firstombight Highombight etc....

Or if one wants to get even more political. ..
FirstThegn , thegn meaning originally 'servent'.

High Reeve. Was the term for the ruler of 'free english Northumberia', after they lost their King.
*bites tongue*

Zen9

Banned
*bites tongue*
Well yes I've modernised the spelling to middle to modern English.
Since things like 'dight' were actually spelt 'diht', much as right was spelled 'riht' high was hih etc...
And Reeve was spelt slightly different too.

And yes in haste otherwise I'd have written "free english north of the Humber" which I think was how it was written.

Well yes I've modernised the spelling to middle to modern English.
Since things like 'dight' were actually spelt 'diht', much as right was spelled 'riht' high was hih etc...
And Reeve was spelt slightly different too.

And yes in haste otherwise I'd have written "free english north of the Humber" which I think was how it was written.
Don't forget you've changed the pronunciation too.

Getting a bit OTT there lad. Short bursts is all I get.
You want better, you know what to do.
Well it's all my experience with Old English. I can't help but get annoyed when someone says something is Old English when it isn't. Add in follow up misspellings of places like Northumbria etc and it comes across a bit half-assed.

If those words had survived, their spelling would change too.
Superintendent gave me ideas.
Principal, comptroller.

Ooh. And on an unrelated note, head clerk.

[edit] If Old English didn't jam Gs into those words, whose fault is it?

Last edited:
I've always been fond of Governor General. In a federal republic it acknowledges the component states while clearly indicting a national union.

Maybe some kind of prefix attached to "custodian"?

Or suffix:

Custodian General?
Custodian of the Land and its People?
Custodian of the Law?

How about another Native American derived term? High Mucky-muck (or Muckety-muck), although looking it up this seems to be related to food in some way?

How about another Native American derived term? High Mucky-muck (or Muckety-muck), although looking it up this seems to be related to food in some way?

There was "grand sachem", which was adopted by some non-native organizations like Tammany Hall.

Zen9

Banned
How about statesadministrator?
Firststatesminister? (Danish translation)
Oh and what was that Latin term
.....imperator?

Come to think of it, I've previously come up with a name for somebody who does what Queen Elizabeth does in a republic. That name is: mascot.