Alternate Names for American States

One semi-insane idea I had would be to name almost every state for a President. This would have started when Washington died in 1798.

There are two ways to to this. One is when a President who has served a full four year term (excluding William Harrison, Tyler, Taylor, Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Garfield, Arthur, Kennedy, and Ford) dies, a state is renamed for them, starting with Virginia being renamed Washington.

The other way, more likely, that when a new state is admitted to the Union, Congress just names it after a former President, excluding Vermont and Rhode Island. So that leaves 38 potential states. When Kentucky and Tennessee were admitted, the only available former President was Washington, so presumably Kentucky comes in as Washington and Tennessee remains Tennessee. Then Ohio would have to be admitted as Adams under this system, unless the "president has to be dead rule is applied" which would change things, as no dead presidents would be available as names until after 1824.

My only question being how would we handle John Quincy Adams and other US presidents with the same last name?

My only question being how would we handle John Quincy Adams and other US presidents with the same last name?
Perhaps we make an East/West or North/South Lastname scenario? I realize it's by no means a perfect solution, but it's the only one I can think of.

Let me know which of these sound plausible, or at least interesting:

Williamsland, Jamesland, Jacobia, Annesland, Victoria, Queensland, (yes I'm borrowing from Australian states) Kingsland, Elizabethia, (New) Hanover, Stuart, Edwardia, Frederericksland, Fredericia

The following can all have "New" added to the front, or not: Hanover, Saxony, Wessex, Essex, Sussex, Middlesex, Kent, Lancaster, Lancashire, Monmouth(shire), Devon(shire), Cornwall, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Ulster, Connaught, Leinster, Munster, Donegal, Mercia, Northumberland, Northumbria, Nottingham(shire), Berkshire, Hereford(shire), Hertford(shire), Norfolk, Suffolk, Argyll, Sutherland, Orkney, Dumfries, Fife, Aberdeen(shire), Linlithgow(shire), Bute, etc

Judea, Israel, Galilee, Sinai, Palestine, Jordan, Canaan, Moab, Lebanon, Edom, Amon, Assyria, Aramaea, Samaria, Perea, Idumea, Nabataea, Phoenicia, Sheba, Wilderness

Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, Golgotha, Calvary, Gethsemane, Caesarea (Philippi), Damascus, Bersheeba, Hebron, Arimathea, Sepphoris, Cyrene, Jericho, Tyre, Sidon, Bethesda, Emmaus, Masada, Tiberius, Philadelphia, Gaza, Gomorrah, Sodom

Eden, Paradise, Purgatory, Hell, Sheol, Gehenna, Promised Land

Adamsland, Evesland, Sethia, Methuselahsland, Noahsland, Shemsland, Hamsland, Japethia, Abrahamia, Sarahsland Josephia, Ramesses, Phaoronia, Benjamin, Calebsland, Joshuasland, Davidia, Solomonia, Ruthsland, Naomia, Estheria, Elijahsland, Danielia, Samuelia, Marthasland, Johannia, Petria, Paulia

Trinity, Christiania, Christ's Country, God's Country, Resurrection, (New) Covenant, Rock of Salvation, Land of the True Cross, Salvation, Land of the Savior, Ascension, Paschal Lamb, Passover, Blood of Christ, Communion, Transfiguration, Baptism, Body and Blood, Burning Bush, Rapture, Revelation, Apocalypse, He Is Risen, He Will Come Again, He Is Coming

Olympus, Parnassus, Elysium, Tartarus, Hades, Amazon(ia), Atlantis, Callipolis

Artemesia, Heralclea, Apollonia, Poseidonia, Hephaestia, Vulcania, Urania, Calliope, Clio, Hestia, Vespia, Neptune, Saturn(ia) Jovia, Mercuria, Venus, Hera, Aphrodisia, Cupidia, Athens, Minerva, Demetria, Persephonia, Promethea

Persia, Babylon, Sumeria, Akkadia, Elam, Transoxania, Sarmatia, Scythia

Avalon, Camelot, Prester John's Kingdom

Gondor, Mordor, Arnor, Eriador, Harad, Rhûn, The Shire, Moria, Valinor, Lindon, Mirkwood, The Undying Lands

(If you want, you can add "Land of" before most of these) Freedom, Liberty, Justice, Hope, Courage, Perseverance, Persistence, Equality, Equity, Liberation, Emancipation, Compassion, Virtue, Charity, Love, Goodness, Brotherhood, Sisterhood, Humanity, Fellowship, Fortitude, Endurance, Honor, Truth, Generosity, Stewardship, Temperance, Righteousness,

Sin, Vice, Evil, Wickedness, Corruption, Greed, Wrath, Bitterness, Strife, Abomination, Terror, Horror (remember, they don't have to be named by the people who live in them, and even if they are, I'm sure there are plenty of us who would feel such names might be appropriate for our own home regions)

Tragedy, Despair, Calamity, Disaster, Catastrophe, Scandal, Misfortune

Guale, Yamasee, Wampanoag, Haudenosaunee, Chumash, Ani'yunwi'ya, Shawanwa, Quinnipiac, Patawomec, Mamaceqtaw, Anishinaabeg, Hopi, Ndeah, O'odham, Lenape

New Country, Green Hills, Sweet Berry Thicket, Tallgrass, Flashflood, Rugged Slopes Beyond the Mountain, Uplands, High Bluffs, Lowcountry, Downstream

Cabotia, Hudson(ia), Verrazzano, Ponce de Leon, De Soto, Coronado, Cartier, Bradford, Winthrop

Cursed Country, Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here, Turn Back While You Still Can, Save Yourself Before It's Too Late

Happyland, Sweetcountry, Innocentia

Last edited:
1596776980126.png

I plugged the 50 states into a random word generator: http://www.nexi.com/fun/rw/rwcgi.cgi. I'm kind of terrified by these.

Calling all state namers!

What is this?
I created a discord server specifically to house alternate state names. So far, we're at almost 300, but we're still in need of help!

How can I help?
Joining the server and suggesting state names are good ways to help. If you decide not to join, spreading the word would also be very helpful!

I joined the server, and I don't see my suggestion from this thread on there. Why is that?
Currently, the server only has 2 members and we're a bit overwhelmed, we still have things to do before we can break the backlog of suggestions, but it'll be on there eventually!