Alternate Muppet Show guest stars

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Jon Lennox, Apr 9, 2019.

1. overoceans Well-Known Member

He sang James Taylor's You've Got A Friend for the final number.

Not sure if it was supposed to be horror-themed or not, but I do recall being somewhat weirded out by the line "They'll take your soul if you let them...", never having heard the song before, and more-or-less taking Price's sinister reputation at face value.

Kaze and cortz#9 like this.
  2. overoceans Well-Known Member

According to wiki, in the UK it was ITV, and in the US, first-run syndication.

3. overoceans Well-Known Member

Okay, yeah, definitely.

As a kid, I'm not sure if I caught on to the joking contrast between the macabre motif and the feel-good lyrics. (Bowing to the general reverence for James Taylor, I avoided writing "sappy")

4. overoceans Well-Known Member

This list makes for some interesting reading.

The guest stars really were a combination of B-list, past-their-prime, and top-of-their-game, with no category seeming to predominate in any one period. For example, Don Knotts, relegated in 1977 to the pre-Eisner Disney live-action ghetto, is followed the next week by John Cleese, still basking in Python/Fawlty glory in the UK and with his best years in the US market still ahead of him. Lots of other vivid juxtapositions, too.

5. overoceans Well-Known Member

And if it wasn't subject to the reverse-stigma of being an innocent children's show, I really think the muppets would have made a good match with Cheech and Chong. Have an episode where the Swedish chef uses their recipe to make some special brownies, and Cheech and Chong end up being the most coherent people on the show.

Yes and cortz#9 like this.
  6. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Andy Kaufman.

7. overoceans Well-Known Member

Interesting. Wonder how you would work anti-humor into the muppet formula. He could do a sraight man/funny man routine with Fozzie Bear. Kaufman keeps deliberately messing up the punch-line to Fozzie's set-ups, but Fozzie laughs anyway, 'cuz he's not too bright.

For the finale, something like Cleese's, where he refused to sing any song the band started playing. Kaufman comes on ready to do an Elvis number in full regalia, then when he starts singing, it's the weirdo slavic guy's voice, the band gets confused, and they have to start all over again.

And at the end where they all come on stage and say good-bye, Kaufman could announce that he wants to wrestle Miss Piggy, and then Miss Piggy comes on and knocks him down with one karate chop. (If they can get the sexual innuendo past Lew Grade.)

(Caveat: I only know Kaufman from Taxi and Jim Carrey's portrayal in the Forman film.)

8. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

If they get Kaufman in the first or second season, they get a sillier (but still weird) Kaufman if they get Kaufman on season 4 or 5, they get super weird Kaufman but he liked kids shows and he might decide to just have fun with it.

GTStinger likes this.
  9. DTF955Baseballfan 12-time All-Star in some TL

Another cool when I thought of later, Ted Knight. His Ted Baxter is similar to Fozzie in some ways, like how Fozzie kept messing up Nancy Walker's name that time and calling her fancy talker, or how Ted acted like ge was a lot better than he was or like Fozzie acts like his simple jokes are so hilarious - I remember once I'm saying he had the best joke ever and Kermit said it wasn't funny and he said he had a better one.

I could see Kermit asking him to help Fozzie and Ted giving Fozzie pointers on humor - except Fozzie already has done some of the same things at different times. Maybe someone else makes an appearance, or it could just be a phone call, and they could be asking if Fozzie could replace Ted Baxter as the news anchor at WJM.

Yes and cortz#9 like this.
  10. georgy176 The Not So Great Know It All

With his acting career long past it may not qualify for this OP, but how about Ronald Regan (prior to his election of course unless this appearnce somehow derails that). In a debate between him and Sam the Eagle on American values and exceptionalism wonder who would emerge the more partiotic?

unclepatrick and Kaze like this.
  11. Hadley Well-Known Member

Did Henry Winkler ever show up? You know they would have done something with how Fonzie and Fozzie sounded similar.

unclepatrick and cortz#9 like this.
  12. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I don't think Winkler ever did the Muppet Show.

unclepatrick likes this.
  13. Kaze Well-Known Member

How about this off the ball idea - BIG Bird from Sesame Street? The Frog jumps from one show to the other - it would be interesting to have the bird to do the same.

cortz#9 likes this.
  14. nbcman Donor

15. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

maybe Weird Al could've gotten in in that sweet spot where his career was just taking off and the show was in its final days (1979-1981)

16. Seandineen Member

Oconner would be great interacting as archie bunker with Sam the Eagle.

cortz#9, H.Flashman(VC) and GTStinger like this.
  17. Mort the Reaper Well-Known Member

Or maybe the show could've lasted longer for whatever reason.

cortz#9 likes this.
  18. The Wooksta! Well-Known Member

Jimmy Saville - Miss Piggy gave evidence at various hearings about his conduct.

19. Mort the Reaper Well-Known Member

I think Bruce Lee might've done well as a guest star if he'd lived longer. Wonder how Miss Piggy would react to one of the most famous karateka in the world appearing on the show... kinda torn between admiration and jealousy.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM
  20. THeaven I am the Watcher

Robin Willaims

cortz#9 likes this.