Alternate media markets

I don't know if there's any interest in this idea, but I want to hear the forum's feedback...

I have an idea to redraw the media market areas for television in the United States. Basically, the US is divided up into 210 regions, and each region typically has one affiliate of each major network that broadcasts over that region. But I think that there are many improvements that could be made to the present system. The digital transition would have been a good time to have done this, so I guess that can be the POD for sweeping reform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_market

How many other people geek out about this sort of thing? If you like this idea, you can like this post or post your opinions. I've drawn up a few statewide maps already, and I will consider posting them once I get some feedback. You can post your own maps too, if you want.

I don't know if there's any interest in this idea, but I want to hear the forum's feedback...

I have an idea to redraw the media market areas for television in the United States. Basically, the US is divided up into 210 regions, and each region typically has one affiliate of each major network that broadcasts over that region. But I think that there are many improvements that could be made to the present system. The digital transition would have been a good time to have done this, so I guess that can be the POD for sweeping reform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_market

How many other people geek out about this sort of thing? If you like this idea, you can like this post or post your opinions. I've drawn up a few statewide maps already, and I will consider posting them once I get some feedback. You can post your own maps too, if you want.

Interesting concept to tamper with the Market regions... Another intersting idea would be "Each Media Market Region is a state on it's own" - how would a 210-sate US feel? Would Trump still win the election or would it be demographically more just and fair?

Interesting concept to tamper with the Market regions... Another intersting idea would be "Each Media Market Region is a state on it's own" - how would a 210-sate US feel? Would Trump still win the election or would it be demographically more just and fair?
Most media markets are anchored by a host city, so if they were their own states, Clinton would've won by a landslide.

L9XKag.jpg

Found this

I've always felt that where you get your local news from is so important to your local culture and your shared experiences.

I like that idea but I was thinking more along the lines of reform of the present system. There are some media markets that are really small, other places where markets could be combined, other places that have a significant population that isn't being served by their own media market.

I've always felt that where you get your local news from is so important to your local culture and your shared experiences.

I suppose this is part of my motivation. More localized news sources, as well as more available media content in underserved areas. This I think is especially an issue in edge cities that get overshadowed by their big-city neighbors.

Plus, I like making maps.:D