Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Version 2.0

July 27th, 1996: "Thinking of You" by Selena Q. [1]
August 3rd, 1996: "Thinking of You" by Selena Q.
August 10th, 1996: "Thinking of You" by Selena Q.

[1] You don't need me to tell you who Selena Q. is, do you?XD

[1] You don't need me to tell you who Selena Q. is, do you?XD

I thought about using her myself, but it seemed to convergent to have another mid-90's Latin craze. In any case, we've had five number ones in a row by women, so time for a change:

August 17th, 1996: "Thinking of You" - Selena Q.
August 24th, 1996: "Soon Forgotten" - Roundabout [1]
August 31st, 1996: "Soon Forgotten" - Roundabout

[1] The 70's hard rock band returns with a comeback single, having replaced lead guitarist Ritchie Blakemore with the American musician Joey Santiago.

September 7th, 1996: "Always Be My Baby" - Aaliyah [1]

September 14th, 1996: "Always Be My Baby" - Aaliyah

September 21st, 1996: "Always Be My Baby" - Aaliyah

[1] Originally written for Mariah Carey's Daydream album, the song is scrapped when Carey chooses to go in a sexier direction. As such, when Jermaine Dupri is brought in to produce Aaliyah's sophmore album, it makes it as her second single, quickly outshining the lead single "Shine Out", which reached #28 overall.

Event: October 8th, 1996.

President Gramm signs a watered-down Telecommunications Reform Act of 1996 into law. It allows for auction of unused TV and radio spectrum, and addresses the "Internet", but does not alter limits on radio station ownership (which a Texas radio network had lobbied for) nor does it exempt small businesses from ASCAP or BMI licenses if they play radio music.

This will mean a very different direction for Clear Channel ; in ATL they pivot to a model of broadcasting non-royaltied music (from unsigned artists, pre-1972 live recordings, "world music" from non-Berne countries, etc.) that businesses can safely play.

Last edited:
I was actually also thinking of making T.J. Fantini either a member of a 'N Sync-esque act, or a male Britney.

I like the male Britney idea. Also, Justin Timberlake & Ryan Gosling together could either be a good combo or end up in a scrap where one or the other leaves and a replacement is used. I had ideas for Britney to re-emerge, but it might go over badly. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Event: The young Britney Spears, aged 15, wins the role of Dorothy for the Wizard of Oz Broadway show. This re-entry into the world of entertainment comes with the death of her father in a gun-related accident, giving her mother the push to leave for New York to give her daughter a second shot at success in the entertainment world, particularly since she had performed in off-Broadway shows in between failed Mickey Mouse auditions [1].

[1] The time in an off-Broadway show between Micky Mouse auditions is OTL.

I like this better than my chainsaw playing screamo Britney idea for some reason. Makes more sense. I might use the screamo chainsaw idea for someone else in another ten years though.

Event: Gospel performer Jessica Simpson turns her back on her father Joe as well as her religous upbringing. She soon drops out of high school, runs away from home, and finds solace in her local punk scene.

"What's it called when you don't believe in the man in the sky? An Athiest? Yeah I'm that"- Jessica Simpson, 1998 [1]

[1] I can't picture her doing screamo. Since she was a gospel performer, she might switch to dark Diamanda Galas type music that calls for some range. Despite the changes, she's sadly still a bit like OTL. Expect some chicken of the sea moments.

Edited due to some further ideas.

Last edited:
October 5th, 1996: "Jazzy Belle"- Mizfit*

*Hip-Hop duo from Atlanta, consisting of Andre "3000" Benjamin and Antwan "Big Boi" Patton. One of the first successful acts from the "Dungeon Family" label.

October 12th, 1996: "Jazzy Belle" - Mizfit
October 19th, 1996: "Jazzy Belle" - Mizfit
October 26th, 1996: "Chinese Whispers" - Witch Hazel [1]

[1] The first significant breakout for Reprise Records since Katrina in the Surf a decade earlier, Witch Hazel use a pastel pop style that's more richly orchestrated and produced than most of their peers, hearkening back to the sounds of Brian Wilson and other baroque pop composers.

Event: November 5th, 1996.

Former Texas governor Ann Richards narrowly defeats Phil Gramm in the U.S. Presidential election (the first time since 1944 that both candidates were from the same state)

U.S. Presidents so far in TTL

Lyndon Johnson (1965 - 1969)
Richard Nixon (1969 - 1974) resigned
Gerald Ford (1974 - 1977) acting
Ronald Reagan (1977 - 1981) assassinated
George Bush (1981 - 1985) acting
Jerry Brown (1985 - 1993)
Phil Gramm (1993 - present)
Ann Richards (elect)

Last edited:
November 2nd, 1996: "Let It Flow" - Toni Braxton

November 9th, 1996: "Let It Flow" - Toni Braxton

November 16th, 1996: "Let It Flow" - Toni Braxton

Event: Songwriter and LTM head Michael Jackson marries client Alyssa Milano after a long, slightly creepy romance.

December 21st, 1996: "California Love" - Tupac ft. Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman

December 28th, 1996: "Honey" - Mariah Carey

January 4th, 1996: "Honey" - Mariah Carey

Event: in January 1997, Fox network premieres a new series "Alien Contacts" hosted by former Beatle John Lennon, where he investigates UFO and alien experiences, both by other celebrities and ordinary witnesses.

He himself has had such experiences since the 1970s, and has grown more and more interested in the subject (he attributes surviving his latest heart attack to extraterrestrial intervention, and recalls floating out of his body and seeing spaceships above the hospital). He's also had some experience as a TV show host (guesting the Mike Douglas show), so Fox feels he'll bring the viewers in.