Alternate Islamic symbols?

I only recently learnt that the crescent moon (and/or star) wasn't actually a Muslim symbol until fairly recently, and that's because of the Ottomans' adoption of secular moon-and-star symbolism (from the Byzantines and/or Turkic peoples), and subsequent reinterpretation in the wake of their dismantling.

Given that, what other symbols (as antithetical as icons are to Islam) could have arisen? I'm favoring Zulfiqar, but are there any abstract symbols which would lend themselves well to the proselytising of Islam?

Hand of Fatima/Hand of Mariam/"Khamsa" (particularly common in the Maghreb)

Evil Eye symbols against Hassad "Al Ain" (particularly common in the Mashrek and Turkey and Asia)

(Combination of the two above, particularly common in Egypt)

Sword of Ali as you mentioned

I think that it is difficult to choose a single symbol for a religion that in its beginnings lacked such symbols, as is shown with the flags of the Umayyads and Rashidun caliphates. However I am definitely in favour of Zulfiqar, this in combination with various shahadas or Allah written in Kufic script would look quite well. To me it fits the unique character of Islam quite well and thus, is its best symbol (other than the Shahada or Allah written in calligraphy).

I would suggest that too since the Zulfiqar (rather than swords in general) is more a Shia symbol

True, but Sunni have used Zulfiqar as a war symbol on certain regiment flags and swords are used today as symbols of certain Wahabbi groups (Saudi Arabian flag). So it is not like it is some sort of fundamental difference and that swords are 100% Shia.

الله is the most obvious symbol of Islam. In fact, for many Muslims, it's much more important than the moon and crescent even today.

Here are some OTL modern day Islamic symbols:

Shahada (The testimony: There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is God's messenger):

Flag_of_Jihad.svg

Green (important colour in Islam):

libyan-flag.png

Tawhid (Oneness) - here is the symbol found on the Iranian flag, a very stylized form of the word Allah:

Emblem_of_Iran_means.jpg

It's really worth considering the importance of caligraphy in the Islamic world, it holds much more prominence than symbols.

الله is the most obvious symbol of Islam. In fact, for many Muslims, it's much more important than the moon and crescent even today.

Here are some OTL modern day Islamic symbols:

Shahada (The testimony: There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is God's messenger):

Flag_of_Jihad.svg

Green (important colour in Islam):

libyan-flag.png

Tawhid (Oneness) - here is the symbol found on the Iranian flag, a very stylized form of the word Allah:

Emblem_of_Iran_means.jpg

It's really worth considering the importance of caligraphy in the Islamic world, it holds much more prominence than symbols.

Agreed. As I said it is the best symbol for Islam from what I can see. However I think Zulfiqar is an interesting alternative to the crescent moon and was used more often in Islamic history.

True, but Sunni have used Zulfiqar as a war symbol on certain regiment flags and swords are used today as symbols of certain Wahabbi groups (Saudi Arabian flag). So it is not like it is some sort of fundamental difference and that swords are 100% Shia.

Hence why I said the Zulfiqar specifically and not swords in general