Alternate History written by Africans?

Does anybody know of any, be it on this forum or professionally published? I can't think of any from the top of my head. Authors can be from any racial background or country, as long as they're from the continent of Africa. I'm particularly interested in how they portray Africa in their work.

Does anybody know of any, be it on this forum or professionally published? I can't think of any from the top of my head. Authors can be from any racial background or country, as long as they're from the continent of Africa. I'm particularly interested in how they portray Africa in their work.
I know there are a couple of South Africans on here who are, or at least once were, fairly active. I can't think of their names right off the top of my head, or remember if they have any TL's, either completed or WIP's... If I come up with any names, I'll let you know :)

African speculative fiction is finally getting its due. Let’s talk about books to seek out. | The Washington Post
Speculative fiction is blossoming across Africa. The Nommo Award, established in 2017 by the African Speculative Fiction Society, highlights some of these exciting new works. Major writers like Nnedi Okorafor and Tade Thompson have, between them, won the field’s highest honors, including the Hugo, World Fantasy and Clarke awards…

So, what are some titles that readers may want to add to their collections?

Silvia: Tade Thompson made a splash with his science fiction trilogy “Rosewater,”…

Lavie: Good choices... Tade struggled for years to find a mainstream publisher — “Rosewater,” a novel that ambitiously details a very strange alien invasion in Lagos — was first published by the small press Apex Publications before being acquired by Orbit. His “Making Wolf” similarly had a small press release initially. I highly recommend it for fans of gritty noir with an alternate history vibe.

Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of “Mexican Gothic,” Gods of Jade and Shadow” and “Signal to Noise.” Lavie Tidhar is the author of several novels, including “The Violent Century,” “A Man Lies Dreaming,” “Central Station” and, most recently, “By Force Alone.”

Last edited:
I know that @OurSacredWar was Ethiopian, his brief though incomplete timeline on Afro-fascism was fascinating...

I know it’s been a while but in case you’re still interested in this…

Apple TV+ streaming series Shining Girls (a mystery thriller set in Chicago with a plot that involves time travel and jumping between alternative timelines) is based on a novel. What came as a surprise to me is that a the novel is written by Lauren Beukes, a South African author. While Shining Girls is set in U.S.A. her other works like Zoo City (noir mystery set in an urban fantasy Johannesburg) take place in Africa.

Don’t know if you would classify Beukes’ writings as alternate history or just sci-fi/fantasy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's Mr.Gatsby, their TLs has combined with Afrofuturism elements.