Alternate History Radioshow Idea (and potential Brainstorming)

All good points.

I'm thinking the discussion will largely be about alternate outcomes for the war itself (and if/how it could've been prevented), though I think with something as all-incompassing as World War II, we could (and probably should) make the first programme entirely WWII centric, reviewing it's place in AH, while also taking a look at an Alt-hist TL (or alternative media) on the subject.

Alternate WWII ideas are okay, but they've been done so many times that's it's basically a cliché at this point.

Shouldn't the first episode of the Alternate History Radio Show be, in general, the history of the genre, with a few mentions of material that could be considered "Classic Alternate History"?

Personally, I'm confident I can manage it on a weekly basis, but if others would prefer perhaps a fortnightly/monthly show, I can work with that. Maybe we could start off doing it monthly/fortnightly and build up to weekly as we get more contributors.

Quality over Quantity should be an important point, if you want your radio show to stand out. Even if this can't be done daily/weekly, it needs to be something that will make the listeners say, "Wow, these guys really did their research!". I suppose that some POD's would need more time to research than others, so I wouldn't worry about feeling pressured to constantly find something to talk about when it comes to alternate history ideas.

I do like the idea of the affiliation with the FB page. In terms of the name, I'm happy with 'The Alternate History Radio Show' in theory (as it does what it says on the tin etc), plus I can get a few Voiceovers to that affect fairly quickly. If you have any better ideas I'd be happy to change that though. I'd caution though that it must be something straight forward, that conveys what it's about, to anyone coming across the podcast for the first time, so nothing overly fancy

I initially thought that this was going to be a literal radio show, but wouldn't it be better if this show was live-streamed either on Twitch or YouTube?

Last edited:
All good points.

I'm thinking the discussion will largely be about alternate outcomes for the war itself (and if/how it could've been prevented), though I think with something as all-incompassing as World War II, we could (and probably should) make the first programme entirely WWII centric, reviewing it's place in AH, while also taking a look at an Alt-hist TL (or alternative media) on the subject. Obviously with something like the UK pulling out of the EEC, since there's been next to nothing in terms of AH about it (somewhat surprisingly given Brexit ATM), our Alternate History reviews that week would need to be on something else (which isn't entirely a bad thing, given the format I have in mind, as it'll break up the discussion nicely).

We need to have something more interesting than just alternate outcomes to the war. It's been done a million times, as Allochronian has said. I would argue for an entry that would attempt to answer why we discuss this conflict so much, its importance to our genre in historical context, and the great works of WWII AH.

We could do similar big discussions about the American Civil War, and maybe the American Revolution and World War I.

Personally, I'm confident I can manage it on a weekly basis, but if others would prefer perhaps a fortnightly/monthly show, I can work with that. Maybe we could start off doing it monthly/fortnightly and build up to weekly as we get more contributors.

Only if we want short episodes with little depth. I would advocate for a longer runtime to really get to the ideas. I for one think we should do quality over quantity. This is also why we have the blog - for the 'downtime' from podcast episodes.

In terms of when to record, Friday's probably the best day for me, though I'm fairly flexible as long as I'm not recording in the middle of the night, UK time. I'd envisage post-production not taking all that long, though I'd like to give myself Saturday to complete it, so it's ready for the beginning of the next week. Given this logic, I think our first recording session would be Fri Aug 30th, ready for completion on Sept 1. I'm thinking the discussion (which will make up the main bulk of the show) will be approx. 22 minutes, with it being split into 2 segments (separated by the 60 second summary feature, etc). This would make it more fast-moving and keep listeners concentration. If we do run over the 22 mins time with the discussion, that won't be too much of a problem as I'll just edit it down to the desired length during post-production.

I'm on the East Coast of the United States. I'm unemployed for the moment so I'm free for now but I don't know how that will change. It's a five hour difference between me and you. For the moment I'm good with Fridays but I might be getting another commitment that may or may not be then.

I do like the idea of the affiliation with the FB page. In terms of the name, I'm happy with 'The Alternate History Radio Show' in theory (as it does what it says on the tin etc), plus I can get a few Voiceovers to that affect fairly quickly. If you have any better ideas I'd be happy to change that though. I'd caution though that it must be something straight forward, that conveys what it's about, to anyone coming across the podcast for the first time, so nothing overly fancy.

If we really want to play up association with the Facebook Group I'd recommend "the Alternate History Online Show" or somesuch, for name recognition. I think it's a straightforward name.

Alternate WWII ideas are okay, but they've been done so many times that's it's basically a cliché at this point.

Shouldn't the first episode of the Alternate History Radio Show be, in general, the history of the genre, with a few mentions of material that could be considered "Classic Alternate History"?

I second this. We should definitely integrate discussion of great AH works into our initial episode.

Quality over Quantity should be an important point, if you want your radio show to stand out. Even if this can't be done daily/weekly, it needs to be something that will make the listeners say, "Wow, these guys really did their research!". I suppose that some POD's would need more time to research than others, so I wouldn't worry about feeling pressured to constantly find something to talk about when it comes to alternate history ideas.

I also second this. Frankly, with the amount of research we would need to do, perhaps once a month for the really big stuff? Or simply a 'it goes out when it's ready' philosophy, with shared content and short essays filling in the remainder. We will need to do a LOT of reading for this. In my time moderating Alternate History Online I'd say one of the big mistakes newcomers make is reading only AH content and not actual history books. We should also probably have good grounding in historiography too.

I initially thought that this was going to be a literal radio show, but wouldn't it be better if this show was live-streamed either on Twitch or YouTube?

Either of those would work.

Deleted member 2186

We need to have something more interesting than just alternate outcomes to the war. It's been done a million times, as Allochronian has said. I would argue for an entry that would attempt to answer why we discuss this conflict so much, its importance to our genre in historical context, and the great works of WWII AH.

I fully agree with this.

If we really want to play up association with the Facebook Group I'd recommend "the Alternate History Online Show" or somesuch, for name recognition. I think it's a straightforward name.

I like it.

I second this. We should definitely integrate discussion of great AH works into our initial episode.

While it would be a good idea, what about finding those who have not been discussed to death and find works not so widely known.

I also second this. Frankly, with the amount of research we would need to do, perhaps once a month for the really big stuff? Or simply a 'it goes out when it's ready' philosophy, with shared content and short essays filling in the remainder. We will need to do a LOT of reading for this. In my time moderating Alternate History Online I'd say one of the big mistakes newcomers make is reading only AH content and not actual history books. We should also probably have good grounding in historiography too.
What about rotating it, one week discussion AH book, then What if Events and then general AH History.

Hi,

An update my end... as I've been having a rethink...

I get what you're all saying about Alternate World War II scenarios being done to death on here, but we also want to introduce new people to the delights of AH (hence the cross promotion on the radio)-and the basic World War II what ifs would provide a good intro. I do think we're on the same page when it comes to mentioning AH work regarding World War II (as well as OTL historical studies and the like)-in fact, I sort of envisaged that happening organically, so apols if I didn't make that clear. I'd say that shouldn't just be the case for the 'obvious' topics only-if there's a TL (or an AH) about the UK staying off the Gold Standard in 1925 and we're discussing that topic, contextualising it by using the TL available would be vital, provided it's a well-executed AH. Same goes for actual historical content related to this (and other less obvious) topics. Even if there isn't anything that specific, there would be a few bits of AH work on 1920's Britain, which would have potentially dealt with the Gold Standard issue-even if it's only in passing.

I take SS's point about half an hour perhaps being too short, so I've revised the plans slightly. How about, a 60 or 90 minute podcast, on the first week of the month (I really do want to do this with regularity, even if the guests alternate from month to month), though in between times,
along with the blog, I'll upload a few audio teasers (perhaps a 60 second summary or 2) that won't be available anywhere but online. We'll also do the podcast in 2 or 3 parts , to make it easier for people who perhaps are driving, to be able to listen to just one half hour part at a time. Also, with a lengthier podcast, we'll need to enable the radio stations taking it to easily opt out so they can insert their own content, like commercials, trailers and news etc, or to broadcast it in instalments.

Re the showname, how about simply 'The Alternate History Show' (as a handful of radio stations have signed up to it now). However, during the show (and when promoting generally), we'll give preference to the online platforms as the 'main' way of accessing the podcast, plus the blog and audio teasers will obviously only be available online. We could also do a sort of 'feedback' feature on the main podcast this way, where we tell people what's online that month and perhaps read out comments from listeners via the blog or social media.

I like the idea of live streaming in theory (especially since we could then take live interactions with listeners), the only problem being sorting a few technical bits out my end, so we can drop in the 60 Second Summary and the like into the mix mid-way through a discussion, as live if that makes sense. Also if it's edited, it'll naturally sound more polished and any technological blips that may arise can easily be removed. So it might be a good idea to have live streaming as a medium term goal.

Re the time/day of the recording, would Saturday be preferable for you guys? I'm afraid I can't really do Sunday. If we're recording for longer, Sat would be better for me, though this would mean the podcast won't be released until Mondays at the earliest.

Let me know what you all think.

Hi,

An update my end... as I've been having a rethink...

I get what you're all saying about Alternate World War II scenarios being done to death on here, but we also want to introduce new people to the delights of AH (hence the cross promotion on the radio)-and the basic World War II what ifs would provide a good intro. I do think we're on the same page when it comes to mentioning AH work regarding World War II (as well as OTL historical studies and the like)-in fact, I sort of envisaged that happening organically, so apols if I didn't make that clear. I'd say that shouldn't just be the case for the 'obvious' topics only-if there's a TL (or an AH) about the UK staying off the Gold Standard in 1925 and we're discussing that topic, contextualising it by using the TL available would be vital, provided it's a well-executed AH. Same goes for actual historical content related to this (and other less obvious) topics. Even if there isn't anything that specific, there would be a few bits of AH work on 1920's Britain, which would have potentially dealt with the Gold Standard issue-even if it's only in passing.

That is sensible. We should, though, at least have a good familiarity with the works on the subject so that we may be able to discuss them when they cme up.

I take SS's point about half an hour perhaps being too short, so I've revised the plans slightly. How about, a 60 or 90 minute podcast, on the first week of the month (I really do want to do this with regularity, even if the guests alternate from month to month), though in between times,
along with the blog, I'll upload a few audio teasers (perhaps a 60 second summary or 2) that won't be available anywhere but online. We'll also do the podcast in 2 or 3 parts , to make it easier for people who perhaps are driving, to be able to listen to just one half hour part at a time. Also, with a lengthier podcast, we'll need to enable the radio stations taking it to easily opt out so they can insert their own content, like commercials, trailers and news etc, or to broadcast it in instalments.

I concur on all points.

Re the showname, how about simply 'The Alternate History Show' (as a handful of radio stations have signed up to it now). However, during the show (and when promoting generally), we'll give preference to the online platforms as the 'main' way of accessing the podcast, plus the blog and audio teasers will obviously only be available online. We could also do a sort of 'feedback' feature on the main podcast this way, where we tell people what's online that month and perhaps read out comments from listeners via the blog or social media.

Something about having the show name as the genre strikes me as presumptuous, but I can see the name working to pitch for radio stations. Everything else is sensible.

I like the idea of live streaming in theory (especially since we could then take live interactions with listeners), the only problem being sorting a few technical bits out my end, so we can drop in the 60 Second Summary and the like into the mix mid-way through a discussion, as live if that makes sense. Also if it's edited, it'll naturally sound more polished and any technological blips that may arise can easily be removed. So it might be a good idea to have live streaming as a medium term goal.

Hypothetically it sounds good but the logistics of it sound hard. We might have to do different sections for different time zones.

Re the time/day of the recording, would Saturday be preferable for you guys? I'm afraid I can't really do Sunday. If we're recording for longer, Sat would be better for me, though this would mean the podcast won't be released until Mondays at the earliest.

Saturday would probably be best, as the time needed for this wouldn't be so long as to prevent me from indulging in my Saturday night hobby (swing dancing). That being said, the time zone thing is a very real issue; what is noon for me is five in the afternoon for you, and so on and so forth.

Hmmm I'm thinking re the timezone issue, we might have to record at different times to a degree, depending on who shows up as guests on the show. Personally I can make any time from noon here (7 AM your time) to 10 PM my time-at a stretch anyway. So would say... something like 3/4 PM UK time be good for you, in the main? I think that's not a bad theoretical time for most people, though we may have to occasionally shift to a later recording time if we have say... someone from Australia/NZ on the show, unless they're night owls and don't mind recording at 4/5 AM their time.

Hmmm I'm thinking re the timezone issue, we might have to record at different times to a degree, depending on who shows up as guests on the show. Personally I can make any time from noon here (7 AM your time) to 10 PM my time-at a stretch anyway. So would say... something like 3/4 PM UK time be good for you, in the main? I think that's not a bad theoretical time for most people, though we may have to occasionally shift to a later recording time if we have say... someone from Australia/NZ on the show, unless they're night owls and don't mind recording at 4/5 AM their time.
I'd be willing to do that. Depends on when exactly, of course, but this seems reasonable.

@Peelitebkearns and I have recorded the first episode.

[a href="[URL]https://www.buzzsprout.com/423790/1639375-the-alternate-history-show-ep1-world-war-ii-part1[/URL]"]Part one[/a]
[a href="[URL]https://www.buzzsprout.com/423790/1639975-the-alternate-history-show-episode1-world-war-ii-part2[/URL]"]Part two[/a]
[a href="[URL]https://www.buzzsprout.com/423790/1640065-the-alternate-history-show-episode1-world-war-ii-part3[/URL]"]Part three[/a]

We're looking for future cohosts and future topics of discussion; we're doing the Anarchy in England for our next discussion, so any recommendations on literature on that subject are also welcome.

We can take any feedback here.

[a href="[URL]https://www.buzzsprout.com/423790/1639375-the-alternate-history-show-ep1-world-war-ii-part1[/URL]"]Part one[/a]
[a href="[URL]https://www.buzzsprout.com/423790/1639975-the-alternate-history-show-episode1-world-war-ii-part2[/URL]"]Part two[/a]
[a href="[URL]https://www.buzzsprout.com/423790/1640065-the-alternate-history-show-episode1-world-war-ii-part3[/URL]"]Part three[/a]

We're looking for future cohosts and future topics of discussion; we're doing the Anarchy in England for our next discussion, so any recommendations on literature on that subject are also welcome.

Firstly, great job to both of you! I think you went over some interesting topics (this coming from someone who isn’t as good with military history, so I definitely enjoyed this) and I like the separate segments. I think you focused on each topic a good amount, although there’s a few I would have focused on just a little bit more due to personal preferences, but that’s obviously pretty subjective nitpicking and I never was really bored when listening. Every topic was overall very neat, even if it’s not really what I’m into.

Long story short, I’m loving this podcast thus far and I look forward to the next episode.

Deleted member 2186

Nice job.

Nice work. I feel obligated to recommend the classic "Fuldapocalypse" Cold War hot but not nuclear hot as a topic, and (hope this doesn't sound too boastful) wouldn't mind throwing my hat in the ring for someone who could talk about it.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was able to finally listen to the podcast awhile ago and I enjoyed it a lot!

I remember learning a few things that I didn't know before.

I don't know anything about The Anarchy, so I may have to do my own light research on it.

I assume these historical events that you've chosen will be random, right?

Will you accept "listener mail" on your radio show?

Another thing I would include on the show is a list of primary/secondary sources so that others may be interested in looking them up.

What do you think about using special episodes for a visual podcast?

I look forward to the next podcast!

Hey, Peelitebkearns and SpanishSpy,

I was able to hear most of your talk about the Beatles.

Even though I don't care much about them, I was surprised to learn that the band had some interesting history that could have resulted in different outcomes.

By the way, you links don't work anymore.

Is the Alternate History Show still operational?

If so, I would like to hear about your next episode on Nuclear scenarios.

Maybe this link might be of some help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls

Hey, Peelitebkearns and SpanishSpy,

I was able to hear most of your talk about the Beatles.

Even though I don't care much about them, I was surprised to learn that the band had some interesting history that could have resulted in different outcomes.

By the way, you links don't work anymore.

Is the Alternate History Show still operational?

If so, I would like to hear about your next episode on Nuclear scenarios.

Maybe this link might be of some help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls

The show's still going, although the hosting site that @Peelitebkearns is using only lets the recordings remain there for ninety days. He's looking for a replacement at the moment.

And I've been doing research on nuclear war for the past two weeks. We record on Monday.

We're looking to do an episode on the Israel/Palestine conflict in April - is there anyone out there knowledgeable on the subject who'd be willing to come on as a guest?