Alternate History Quotes

"Mrs Thatcher. Mrs Thatcher. I just...I wanted. Marry Christmas Mrs Thatcher."

Anne Banks 12/23/83 seconds before opening fire into a crowd, killing 3 and wounding PM Thatcher. Miss Banks was found to be insane.

"Yesterday Berlin!Today Paris!Tomorrow London!Forward loyal soldiers of the Motherland, we've crushed Prussian militarism, Syndicalism is the next on the list!"

-Marshal Pavel Shantilov to his troops during the early stages of the Battle of Paris. The Russians would eventually triumph but at a stupidly high cost for all involved.

"Never in the history of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few. When the Franco-Spanish fist fell across the great commonwealth of America and the valiant men of the two Colonel Kennedy's regiments stood fast holding the center against the great odds of tyranny and oppression. Future generations will speak their names with pride, maybe envy knowing how far short of this mark most of them will fall. Ladies and gentlemen of the commonwealth, Lords and ladies of the Empire, I give you sir John F. Kennedy and sir Robert Kennedy, brothers in arms, men of war, seeking peace."

--- Prime Minister Winston Churchill speaking at the ceremony honoring the 1st and 2nd Massachusetts regiments after the continental war of 1944-51 shortly after the ceasefire

My fellow Britons, over the years we have won against all odds, even in the most troubling circumstances, we have fought the enemies on the beaches, on air, and by sea, but, I must say, this time Britain, we are in dire straits, we are fighting a inhumane monster of a country, and I say now, we will not, I repeat, we will not give up Britain! We will fight until our last breath, and even then, we shall continue to win and restore Democracy to the world! I say fellow men, women, anc children, make your King and Country proud!--Prime Minister and Lord Protector Joseph Chamber Ash's (Democracy Party) televised speech in 2056, after the loss of the Battle of Brittany to the United Federation of Russia (UFR)

President Bill Clinton's Televised Address to the American People
August 17, 1998

Good evening.

This afternoon in this room, from this chair, I testified before the Office of Independent Counsel and the grand jury. I answered their questions truthfully, including questions about my private life, questions no American citizen would ever want to answer. Still, I must take complete responsibility for all my actions, both public and private. And that is why I am speaking to you tonight.

As you know, in a deposition in January, I was asked questions about my relationship with the individual who calls himself the Batman. While my answers were legally accurate, I did not volunteer information. Indeed, for the last ten years I have been aware of the illegal and irresponsible actions of the Batman and I have not used my authority as President to condemn him, as I should have done. It was wrong. It constituted a critical lapse in judgment and a personal failure on my part for which I am solely and completely responsible.

But I told the grand jury today and I say to you now that at no time did I ask anyone to lie, to hide or destroy evidence or to take any other unlawful action.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] I know that my public comments and my silence about this matter gave a false impression. I misled people, including even my wife. I deeply regret that.

[/FONT]I can only tell you I was motivated by many factors. First, by a desire to protect the American people from the horrendous acts of terror committed by the man who many of us know all too well. His name is the Joker, and sadly, he remains at large, taking the lives of more innocent Americans each day and destroying the confidence and integrity that this nation was built on.

I was also very concerned about protecting my family. Had I complied with the Joker's demands earlier, I would not have been there to protect them. I betrayed the confidence of the American people, but I did it to ensure the safety of my wife, my daughter, and the millions of Americans who deserve to live in a world without terror. And if I faced the same choice again, my actions would be the same.

If it were up to me, I would continue this fight against injustice. But the American people must have their say as well. And they have asked that I turn in the Batman to the Joker in hopes that he will cease these mindless killings. As the servant of the people, I must comply.

This has gone on too long, cost too much, and hurt too many innocent people. I take responsibility for my part in all of this. I must put it right, and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to do so.

And so tonight, I ask you to stand up and fight for America, and more importantly, to fight for your children and their children, so that they can live in a world of hope, not a world of fear. That is the world my parents, had they not been murdered 50 years ago, would have liked to see.

With that said, I must say to you tonight:

I am the Batman.

Batmanclinton.png

"From the Stars, Knowledge."

Wing Commander John Dashwood (RAF), the first man on the moon upon stepping out of the lander in 1971.

Some teasers for the TL I'm hammering out and want to start updating soon:

"The Roosevelt years were a hard time, for all of us. But they were nothing compared with what was to come. It's not hard to see why so many young men went off to fight in other peoples' wars."

-Captain Barry M. Goldwater, Memoirs of an Eagle Legion Bomber Pilot, 1942

"The central question under consideration in this election is whether our nation is to be another internment in the necropolis of Western Civilization, or rather, its final pallbearer."

- US President James Buckley, 1972 Presidential Debate

From another project:

"It was a wintry overcast May day in 2022, and the last President of the United States was being paraded naked in chains through Grand Rapids. The populace cheered as the Governor, fresh from his conquest of Maryland and Beltway Raid, presented the city he chose for his capital with various statues and artifacts from the Den of Vice, Washington. In tow were labor leaders, law enforcement of the former federal government, and the guest of honor, the aforementioned President. Their bodies shivered in the nuclear winter and trod poorly on the ill-improved roads as they were led to their point of execution. As President Anders was lashed to the crucifix he would be remain on until weeks after his death, he defiantly asked Governor Kleermaker, "Is this the future of mankind? Dirt roads lined with crucifixes?"

"Shut the fuck up", the Governor replied as he tightened the knots on the cross. Anders complied."- Gabrielle Martinez, Pilate in Nazareth, Texas A&M Press, 2047

Last edited:
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" - President Aaron Burr (because it's alternate, see?), being attacked by a velociraptor and/or dying of a sudden heart attack.

Some examples from my Sparrow Avengers setting, Cloud Atlas style:

"I will never understand why the honourable gentlemen of our parliament turn a blind eye to the inequalities of our kingdom's commoners and industries. Have we really reached... the height of hubris... that we seem content with staying behind and not grasping the ripe opportunities present all around us ? Living off our glorious past and bombastic hopes for the future is not enough. In the previous months, I've travelled our lands, collected information vigorously, observed and documented with an open mind. What I saw often saddened me. We are a realm without a future, without a vision, without... guts. We are a broken country." (much booing and commotion) "If I were you, I wouldn't be so self-righteously offended, gentlemen... We need to get our peoples back on their feet again, and not allow Budapest and a handful of other cities to be the only jewels worth being proud of. We need to act NOW, but this will not be easy. The occassional charities will not be enough. The occassional great engineering work will not be enough. The constant, satisfied, mutual patting of ourselves on the back will never do. Gentlemen, we need a plan for national rejuvenation. Not provisional, not temporary, not pro forma, but long-term, well thought out and striking. We will be strict to ourselves, we will not be content with "good enough" and we will end the greedy accumulation of profit and wealth into just a few centres and for worthless causes. We shall be striking, we shall astonish the world around us. Don't cry your eyes out for the Hungary of old, for the Hungary of our fathers and mothers. It's not dead yet ! And now, if you'll allow me to explain in detail what I have in mind..."

György
Dénes Andrássy, independent MP of the Hungarian parliament (giving his famous and historically significant speech), ca late 1870s
"I don't care what the appeasment-minded MPs in parliament are peddling at the moment. If their proposals pass, I'll voluntarily resign, no need to sack me. When I was made police chief, I swore that I'd protect the lives and decency of all citizens in this once divided country. And as far as I'm concerned, we will not bend over and give in to the inane demands of rad-reg terrorism. If we'd do so, we might as well give up as a functioning democratic society..."

Stanislava Pančurová, first female Chief of National Police, interview with Slovak public TV news crew, 1976
"Well, you know what they're saying these days: 'Only Masaryk could go to Poland'."

Antonín Švehla on Jan Masaryk's diplomatic visit to Poland, late 1930s, eve of the Second World War
"Like the moon it shall be established forever, a faithful witness in the skies."

astronaut Edward Gorski, quoting from Psalm 89:37 after gazing at the Earth during his first steps on the surface; first moonwalk of the Visegrad Union Space Programme, 1996
"Think of it whatever you like, but it's no laughing matter... Once an IRSB* goes off just a few meters from you and your vehicle, any thoughts on the politics concerning these local matters go right out the window..."

anonymous French peacekeeper, League of Nations peacekeeping mission in the Banát autonomous region, 1962
(*- "improvised roadside bomb")

"I cannot promise any miracles, but what I can promise is steady progress towards making us a single polity again, if we all listen to each other and respect one another. I cannot be entirely certain at this moment, but I have hopes that this day will mark the beginning of a new chapter in the history of Russia. A future Russia built on the principles of civic society and newly found tolerance. A Russia that will not forget its past, but will nevertheless part with its past excesses."

Jelena Glebovna Kerenska, one of the leaders of the Russian Reunification and Reconcilliation Movement, 1985
"Sometimes history is just out of whack
Sometimes you can't tell fiction from fact
As close to expectations as it gets...
...and then SMASH like in a game a'conkers !
The world goes completely bonkers
And outta' nowhere here come the zeps
With all the eager and weird sky pirates
And the 30s go wild n' off the tracks !
"

20th Century Birds (Get A Wee Bit Hysterical, Luv !), a popular novelty song by British-French prog-debris band The Smokin' Macaws, 2005
Ominous and intriguing enough ? ;)

I posted this in the older thread, but I think I'll post it again.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Last words of Hannibal Barca, Battle of the Trebia, 218BC

“This is WJR news and this is Sheffield Stone reading. It is Monday, May 18th, 2020. Good morning everybody!

The Western FWS is reporting a high fallout forecast for the Great Lakes region from the 22nd to the 25th. Remain indoors if possible. By orders of War Minister Lodzki, all forces must wear their issued protective masks when outdoors from the 22nd until the order is lifted.

A report issued by climate researchers at Varner Hill finds a spring unlikely this year for Michigan. I hope you’ve remembered your Victory Hothouses! However, they are optimistic about a spring next year south of the 45th parallel.

The Ohio campaign is going well. We are welcomed as liberators by most locals. Much of the region’s food supply is under our control and shipments are already going north.

General North’s Internal Affairs task force has cornered the Machinist rebels in Pittsburgh. Saturation bombing will begin in one week if all suspects, including the Pittsburgh government, are not surrendered for a tribunal. People of Pittsburgh, please urge your leaders to do the right thing and accept justice for their crimes against the citizenry.

Lord Preston is raising another regiment of Grenadiers for the Northern Campaign. His Lordship has said that they expect limited resistance and Justice Minister Potezny has suspended automatic audits for territories north of the Straits of Mackinac and east of the Bruce Peninsula. Those in the region can expect Permanent Territorials at annexation.

Battle Creek and Kalamazoo have been welcomed into the Realm. Audits are currently underway by Internal Affairs. Law-abiding citizens have nothing to fear.

The North Star Republic’s decadence and union coddling have led to a general strike. Badger Corps Commandant Charles R. Lincoln has called for harsh retribution against trade unionism and the Badger Party has withdrawn support for the current government. A vote of no confidence is expected later in the week. I’m glad we don’t have anything like that here!

In sports…”

Grammy award winning song 2002

Reporting knowing unknowns

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened
are always interesting to me,
because as we know,
there are known knowns;
there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say,
there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns –
there are things we do not know we don't know."

Funkmaster Rumsfeld D.

"Long ago the G8 nations played the Olympics in harmony... but then everything changed when the Russian nation attacked,"

Something from a little adventure serial I want to start in the Writer's Forum on the side:

The Baron and I were led through the opulent palace as concubines and eunuchs murmured around us. Finally, we arrived at the throne room of the Grand Turk himself, Reseph Bey. The Sultan sat at his throne, surrounded by armed guards. As the doors opened and we were ushered into his presence, he drew his great scimitar and began to laugh maniacally.

“Ah, hello there, Reseph!”, the Baron shouted across the room, waving.

The Grand Turk stood up with a manic countenance. “You’re too late, Don Frederico! My snipers are already in place and not even you can save him now!”

I shared a quick confused glance with the Baron.

“Er, what? We’re not here about that.”

The Sultan returned to Earth, looking slightly disappointed in our heroism. “Oh, okay then. Sorry, I’m fine, so are the wives and kids. How about yourself? New sidekick, I see.”

“Yes, that’s right. His name is Reinhold.”

I waved at Reseph. He waved back.

“Now”, the Baron continued, “what was all that stuff about the snipers and us not saving someone?”

Reseph lit up. “Oh, right, the plan! I’m going to assassinate the King in Yellow-“

“Mikhail?”, the Baron interrupted. “How’s he doing?”

“Fine!” the Sultan replied. A eunuch gave a curt whisper to the Sultan. “Oh, I’ve just gotten word that my men blew his head off. Beyond that, though, I’m sure he’s fine. Anyway, where was I? Oh, right. I’ve just assassinated Mike, the King in Yellow, and am going blame it on the Russians. Once Russia and Ruthenia blast each other to the seven hells in a really terrible war, I’ll move my imperial war machine into the Black Sea and pick up the pieces!”

“Devious, Reseph. And here I thought you were losing your touch.”

“Thank you, Red. I try. So, you’re not here to foil my plan even a little bit?”

“No, I’m afraid. I’m sure we wouldn’t have been able to stop it anyway.”, the Baron said with a distant forced smile.

“Thanks, mate. It means a lot to me. Anyway, why did you pop in?”

“We’re looking for a refit for our ship. Victoria, well, she’s seen better days.”

“Damn shame, Red. My shipwrights will offer you every assistance!”

“Right ho, Reseph.”

“Oh, and one more thing, Red…”, the Sultan continued. “One day I will have the honor of killing you and burning all that you cherish in a glorious twilight of civilization.” he said with a smile.

“The same to you, Reseph!” said the Baron as the Sultan’s guards led us to the shipyard.

Death, destruction and apocolypto. That was all there was forthcoming, we had not wanted that, and shooting the freako was all that could be done, the only thing I saw in that man was jello and cardboard. I needed to sacrifice, I needed to kill.

Miss Fomme, how did you plan shooting President Brown?

I just got a gun from some fucking backwater town, I hated him, he was just ruining our country, I needed to take action, he was a monster, a fake man , I don't believe people, they say I just killed a man, but they should be thanking me, i released them from the bad energy.

Miss Fromme, what was the bad energy?

You'd find out soon enough

-Footage from an Interview with Lynne Squeaky Fromme, the woman who shot and killed President Jerry Brown in 1982

"President Humphry was a man set out to fix thw corruption of the Nixon/ Agnew administrations. With his death, I will continue his legacy."

President George Wallace speaking at Former President Hubert Humphry's death.

"Let me tell you about the negro, they are a savage, murdering peoples. They would much rather murder and steal than do their rightful work, they are evil, and must be purged quickly and be taught their proper place. President Smathers is just a new world order puppet to the Negro, the Kikes, the goddamn Godless Sinners, and the Papists, we should all be wary" - Excerpt from Matthias Koehl's announcement speech that he would be running for President of the Confederate States, January 4th 1974. He would eventually go on to win, mainly due to voter fraud.

I like making myself type up the worst things to be said for some reason. :confused:

This one is based on Crusader Kings II

"Let them come! I shall smite these Infidels and send their shattered armies running back towards Rome!"

-Badshah Aarif III of the Umayyad Empire upon receiving news that Pope Paul IV was calling up the sovereigns of Europe to retake Francia from the Muslims.

Vexacus

Banned
"In the United States, they're filled with curiosity and they keep asking, 'Why doesn't he come?' Be calm, for I tell you now; He's coming!"

General Hideki Tojo. 4 September, 1948 at a rally of soldiers, sailors and airmen in Sacramento, Capitol of North American Prefectures