Alternate History Games

I think I remember that, did it have a politician as a secret fighter?

And there were no good games before computer games Weapon M.

Greetings All,
I've just joined the forums and finished reading the list.
I'm rather suprised no one mentioned "Crimson Skies", both the Board game or the Computer game.

Cadimus said:
Greetings All,
I've just joined the forums and finished reading the list.
I'm rather suprised no one mentioned "Crimson Skies", both the Board game or the Computer game.

Welcome to the board! :)

Actually, Crimson SKies has been talked about before, but I guess everyone forgot or is all talked out about the game.

Thanks for the welcome.
Sorry, but I don't get the Superman reference.
I first played CS when it was still owned by FASA, before the buy out.

Yeah, I misread your name, thought it was Cadmus not Cadimus, it's some secret government research lab...

I got Crimson Skies in that 3 pack with Starlancer and Metal Gear Solid

Here's one, DREAM POD 9's pen&paper rpg Gear Krieg. It takes place during an alternate WWII, which is fought with transforming Mecha, Tesla Cannons, earlier jets, and Rocketeer type Jet Packs.

Romulus Augustulus said:
Cadmius...ever played Ogre?

Anyway...most Paradox games would count. Hearts of Iron 2, for instance...or Europa Universalis and friends.

Ogre, GEV, The Creature that ate Sheboygan (sp).
I've been playing and collecting War Games since 1972. I've many of the AH (Avalon Hill), SPI, SJ games, and quite a few of the reprints.

Scarecrow said:
but can you 'win' and have the CSA survive?

Yes, winning is too difficult, however if you want to continue to enjoy your independence, you need to ally with Great Britain or French/Mexican alliance.

Romulus Augustulus said:
Anyway...most Paradox games would count. Hearts of Iron 2, for instance...or Europa Universalis and friends.

Anything by Paradox Entertainment in my book deserves an entry into AH gaming Hall of Fame. I've probably got more playing time out of those games than of many more visually polished ones that just prove that there is more to gameplay than slick interface.

As a matter of fact, some Europa Universalis II players created a scenario they call "Aberration", which is an Alternate History scenario (for years 1419-1819) with a variety of changes, including a surviving somewhat strong Byzantium, Granada-dominated Spain, powerful Ukraine (and no Russia), and the great colonizer nation of Eire (Ireland). For the EUII fans here, it is a highly recommended scenario that builds a well developed AH world, with the events that simulate the development of nations in that ATL, but leave enough space for determination. Last I've heard the people who created "Aberration" are doing a Victoria version of it, set in the same world, but in the era of Victoria (1836-1920).

One can also argue that most strategy games out there that allow the player to be any side in the conflict/competition could potentially be an AH game (see Total War series for example - things rarely develop the way they do in OTL, as I've seen things like Holy Roman Empire-dominated Europe - by 1150, nonetheless!; resurgent Byzantium in 1321 scenario that completely takes out Ottomans by 1350; or, even stranger, the World-Conquering Empire of... yes, Switzerland!).