Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Dixie-45
F-381 Thunder Hound

F-381 Thunderhound.png

By 1943 the writing was on the wall for the CSA but admitting defeat was not an option In Featherston's Confederacy and so designers and weapons makers strived to come up with newer and more powerful weapon systems.
The F-381 Thunder Hound started life as a simple and interesting idea which was to take the venerable F-38 Hound dog and increase it's horsepower by adding a second engine.

As novel as the idea was it wasn't really feasible, the Hound Dog was designed to be as small and sleek as possible for speed and agility. there simply was no room for a second engine but a new proposal was made to remove the engine from the nose and mount an engine in each wing, this would double the horsepower and make room for more weaponry in the now vacant nose.

The idea while a simple one was not as easily executed, the wings needed to be enlarged and redesigned to take an engine and the tail required redesigning as well, it was also decided to give the new design a tricycle landing gear which again required more re-engineering.
Another problem arose when government officials in charge of supplies and acquisitions protested the new design that required two expensive inline V-12 engines for a single seat fighter when one engine was all that was needed for a fighter already in production and so the designers settled for two slightly less powerful but less expensive radial engines, radial engines were used primarily for bomber aircraft and the CSA was doing very little bombing by 43.

A new design was finally settled upon by late 1943 but the new plane bore only a slight resemblance to the once vaunted Hound Dog and used very few common components.

In the end a single prototype was completed the day before the CSA officially surrendered and the Thunder Hound prototype was destroyed without ever taking to the sky.
Like Featherston's dream of a larger more powerful CSA , the Thunder Hound went up in smoke.

Man, the name THUNDER HOUND is simultaneously so very silly and so powerfully Awesome that it's spiritual home is the Dark Millennium of WARHAMMER 40,000!

Austin XPA-1104.png

An hypothetical paint scheme for the proposed Austin Aviation & Motor Works XAP-1104 fighter.

In December of 1943, the Austin company would submit this design to the Confederate Air Force, which was unorthodox given the position of the propellers are within the fuselage rather than in either the pusher and the front positions or on the wings. Powering it aloft was an Austin AAM-107 engine with a projected speed of 356 mph, as well as having the provision of having a RATO unit in the tail to assist in take-off. Armament would consist of a pair of 20mm Hispano-Suiza cannons and two 13mm heavy machine-guns in the nose as well as accommodating two 155mm or 6.1 inch Mark 8 unguided rockets for use against enemy bombers from beyond the effective range of their defenses.

@cortz#9 so I remember you liked challenges (maybe I am remembering wrong?) , what about doing something like the JIR but for troop transport who could also be like this trope?

Might I please ask you chaps if there are any efforts to illustrate aircraft from the Kaiserreich timeline in these forums?

So I just had a thought pop into my head. What if Yak got ahold of the designs of the Pegasus engine that powered the Harrier. And. You got a Yak 38 Forger powered by a Pegasus knock off. Would this improve the Forgers performance enough to give it the ability to compete with the Harrier on the international market?

@cortz#9 so I remember you liked challenges (maybe I am remembering wrong?) , what about doing something like the JIR but for troop transport who could also be like this trope?

What's a JIR?

One thing I never quite understood is how to imagine different vehicles for different alternatehistory.

I understood scrapped or abandoned or prototypes can be put in a TL, but how does the KR team figures it out ? Because I think until the 1940s the vehicles will be the same as our universe.

Driftless

Donor
Oh, I think there was plenty of room for PoDs that could have happened that give aircraft a different development path.
  • Neuter the very broad patent interpretation first given to the Wright Brothers. The excessive reach of those patents unnessarily slowed the development of pioneering aircraft. Confine the patents to their wing-warping control system. Those patents retarded work by Glenn Curtiss and many others.
  • Shift from heavier use of Rotary engines to Radials and Inline at an earlier date.
  • Lighter weight high performance engines of any type would give a different path.
  • Laminated wood monocoque construction existed before WW1 (mostly for racing planes) , but the deteriorating nature of the glues limited it's utility in the rough and tumble world of everyday and wartime flying. Create a more durable glue at an earlier date and that could lead to a significant change in the construction of aircraft.
  • Earlier use of cantilever construction, reducing the need for draggy struts and wires
  • A couple of technology reaches, but interesting all the same: give Henri Giffard and Clement Ader lighter weight, yet more powerful engines than they possessed at the time and both dirigibles and heavier-than-air craft are decades ahead of OTL
That's just a few I can think of off hand.