Alternate History Combat Aircraft

The Japanese actually had their own indigenous design for ramjets and had a number of aircraft proposals utilizing them, the most well known is propably the Kajaba Katsudori interceptor. I have to check the book when Im home but I think there was also an actual proposal and plan to equip the Ohka with such an engine (besides the more well known plans with motor- or turbojets instead of the rockets).

The Japanese actually had their own indigenous design for ramjets and had a number of aircraft proposals utilizing them, the most well known is propably the Kajaba Katsudori interceptor. I have to check the book when Im home but I think there was also an actual proposal and plan to equip the Ohka with such an engine (besides the more well known plans with motor- or turbojets instead of the rockets).
Interesting. I've always thought the Japanese could've made V-I's.
Going to try some more Japanese ram and pulsejet powered alternate aircraft designs in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've always thought the Japanese could've made V-I's.
Going to try some more Japanese ram and pulsejet powered alternate aircraft designs in the not too distant future.
If you are interested in japanese experimental aircraft design of that era I can recommend both volumes of "Japanese Secret Projects: Experimental Aircraft of the IJA and IJN 1939-1945" by Edwin M. Dyer III. They are phenomenal books and go into extreme detail about some of the more outlandish projects.
He also has a website: https://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/ but its way less complete and up to date then the books.

If you are interested in japanese experimental aircraft design of that era I can recommend both volumes of "Japanese Secret Projects: Experimental Aircraft of the IJA and IJN 1939-1945" by Edwin M. Dyer III. They are phenomenal books and go into extreme detail about some of the more outlandish projects.
He also has a website: https://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/ but its way less complete and up to date then the books.
Thanks for the link and I would definitely like to check out that book. :cool:

DBUomjf.png

Fairey Battle with two Merlins instead of one.

It very much looks like a british take on the Bf 110 (and pretty cool!), but im not sure how much parts compatibility you could keep after such a severe redesign, might at that point be easier to go with a new design.

It very much looks like a british take on the Bf 110 (and pretty cool!), but im not sure how much parts compatibility you could keep after such a severe redesign, might at that point be easier to go with a new design.
My understanding is that Fairey did drawing-board a twin-engine Battle early in the design process, but it never went anywhere because the spec they were designing for only allowed for one engine.

An alternative to the Blenheim, as well as the stand-in for the OTL Battle?

Another AH favorite avenue, something for either coastal command or the FAA too......
Yeah. The way I've seen it described, Fairey designed the Battle to be adaptable to two engines because there was uncertainty at the time of the design phase as to what treaty limits would be in place. The spec ultimately went with a single-engine light bomber, but the aircraft could've been adapted to take a twin-engine design using two Prince engines, which I can imagine being swapped for a couple of Merlins. The draw-up I've got there envisions two Merlins and a wing arrangement shifted to carry bombs externally in favour of a radiator arrangement, which'd narrow the wing and reduce drag, at least if I understand plane things. Notably, the closest thing to a twin-engined Battle - one unit with a twin-bank Monarch engine - could outrun and out-climb early-war 109s and Hurricanes and nearly hit the speed of later Spitfires, and that's with the thick wing. Two Merlins and a thinner wing would contribute both more power and less drag.

Would it be the world's biggest game-changer? Probably not, but it'd probably be a welcome addition to the British arsenal in the early to mid-war and likely give the RAF a decent workhorse that could fill the heavy fighter niche on top of light bomber duty - that nose just begs for a cannon armament.

YBCrodo.png

But like many declaration of "Il Dulce", it was mostly hot air. Despite the herculean efforts of rationalization and simplification, the MCIV 772 (Macchi Castoldi Idro-Volante/Hydro-Plane), as it was officially known administratively, was problematic to produce. To cope with the limitation of the Italian line-engine, Macchi had effectively taped two engine together and that obviously meant producing two engines for a single plane. Worst, Fiat had to create a new assembly line for the Macchi-modified AS5 engine and produce twice the usual amounts to power a single plane. The Italian militaro-industrial complex was simply unable to cope with such heavy demand. But with Mussolini's weight behind it and an unusual close collaboration between Macchi and Fiat, 200 MCIV 772 and necessary spare parts complement would nonetheless be produced.
Not only that, but Macchi also proposed a training version with a single engine and single propeller, this considerably simplified production time and 50 MCA 773 (Macchi Castoldi Allenamento/Trainning) be produced too.
Great story as always and good pictures although its the first time I have heard Mussolini be called "The Sweet"