Alternate History Combat Aircraft

nice but I'm not sure the 37mm firing through the hub would be possible in that configuration.
I remember there being a racing conversion of a privately owned P.39 that had two engines like that, but I can't remember the book it was in. Other than that it (allegedly) flew at Reno in the 1950's

nice but I'm not sure the 37mm firing through the hub would be possible in that configuration.
Considering that, IIRC, the space where the forward engine lives in this image is where the 37mm is housed on the normal P-39/P-63, I believe you would be correct.
There is no cannon firing thru the nose hub, I usually draw the gun muzzle sticking out of the front of the prop hub but you'll notice in my pic the nose is pointy.

LSFD.png

Free German variant

I thought that every production jet a/c had a tricycle undercarriage. With the engine where it is on this one how would that work out?
The front wheel of the landing gear is positioned beneath the front of the jet engine like in this picture of a Yak-15 which inspired my Bv-1090.

Y.png

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
I believe the Yak 15 prototype had that layout only with a tailwheel. They had a few issues, such as the jet efflux causing fires on grass landing fields, melting and setting fire to asphalt-surfaced runways and burning the tailwheel off. If you thought landing (or taking off) with the tricycle layout was a load of giggles...

Pangur

Donor
I believe the Yak 15 prototype had that layout only with a tailwheel. They had a few issues, such as the jet efflux causing fires on grass landing fields, melting and setting fire to asphalt-surfaced runways and burning the tailwheel off. If you thought landing (or taking off) with the tricycle layout was a load of giggles...
Yeah, I can see that being "stressful"!

The front wheel of the landing gear is positioned beneath the front of the jet engine like in this picture of a Yak-15 which inspired my Bv-1090.

View attachment 871433
Actually the Yak 15 was a taildragger, it being a standard Yak 3 with a jet engine bolted on. It was quickly replaced with the Yak 17 that had a tricycle undercarriage. In the meantime, the intermediate models Yak 15 were upgraded to using a steel tail wheel....

There is no cannon firing thru the nose hub, I usually draw the gun muzzle sticking out of the front of the prop hub but you'll notice in my pic the nose is pointy.
In that case, you'd have traded higher speed for a colossal reduction in firepower, unless the wing-mounted guns were swapped to 20mm autocannons (and the cowling guns were at least .50 cals, if not more 20mm).

Actually the Yak 15 was a taildragger, it being a standard Yak 3 with a jet engine bolted on. It was quickly replaced with the Yak 17 that had a tricycle undercarriage. In the meantime, the intermediate models Yak 15 were upgraded to using a steel tail wheel....
The Yak-15 was built first as a tail dragger and then with a tricycle landing gear.
93c71ce71d46028e4b57355cc8c666f7.jpg

Yak%2B17.jpg

In that case, you'd have traded higher speed for a colossal reduction in firepower, unless the wing-mounted guns were swapped to 20mm autocannons (and the cowling guns were at least .50 cals, if not more 20mm).
You can't have everything but I think 20mm's would've fit in the wings.

Hello,

Found a set of plans for the Yak-15. I had some misconceptions about how the tail wheel was placed. That cleared up, but the pilot would have problems bringing his aircraft to take off because of the forward view, what little there was.

Hello,

Found a set of plans for the Yak-15. I had some misconceptions about how the tail wheel was placed. That cleared up, but the pilot would have problems bringing his aircraft to take off because of the forward view, what little there was.
No plane is perfect and my emergency fighter is very far from perfect, it's just my opinion of what the simplest, cheapest and quickest single engine jet fighter the Luftwaffe could've gotten into combat to maybe make a difference.