Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Well in recent books there is even the serial number of the DB-601A used, and folks looked at all the tale tale signs in the picture, cammo, markings, aircraft's identifiable features, and they quite confidently put it as an early aiframe in spring 1941. So it seems to jibe. Of course, those IAR folks have this maddening habit of clustering a bunch of people in front of the plane so it's obscures many details, both with the IAR-80 inline and the IAR-47. Needless to say, i would sell my soul, an arm and a leg for pictures clearly showing the IAR-80 with DB or Jumo inlines, or the IAR-47!

And yes, the IAR-80 with Jumo-211D and F is an ATL i like more and more. At least the germans had loads of Jumo-211s sitting in depots, about 7000 of them by late war. There was an overproduction of Jumo-211 in 1942 for example. so it would barely make a dent if they'd give us say 150 Jumo-211D by 1942 and later 200 Jumo-211Fs in 1943-44 to fit on IAR-80 airframes. That, or having the JRS-79 built as a trimotor with 3x IAR K14 engines, and the IAR-80 using the Jumos used OTL by the Savoias.

How about italian aircraft powered by the Jumo-211? Some Fiat, Macchi or Reggiane fighter airframes OTL using the weak and outdated radials like the A.74 or the P.XI would have been transformed by the Jumo, not quite as much as the DB airframes, but still quite close?
A small nitpick the IAR-47 and 471 are different aircraft and now on to the Italian Jumo aircraft how about the Ba.201 with a jumo (an old and rather bad drawing i made)?

ZXA21.jpg

How about italian aircraft powered by the Jumo-211? Some Fiat, Macchi or Reggiane fighter airframes OTL using the weak and outdated radials like the A.74 or the P.XI would have been transformed by the Jumo, not quite as much as the DB airframes, but still quite close?

Install the Jumo 211 on a small fighter, like it was the MC.202 or G.50V and there is a very useful fighter. With Jumo 211s from 1941-43 (F, J, N, P), the resulting Macchi or Fiat would've still be in-betwen MC.202 and 205 speed-wise, ie. 620-630 km/h.
Leaves the DB 601s-605s for the bigger Reggianne fighters.

Install the Jumo 211 on a small fighter, like it was the MC.202 or G.50V and there is a very useful fighter. With Jumo 211s from 1941-43 (F, J, N, P), the resulting Macchi or Fiat would've still be in-betwen MC.202 and 205 speed-wise, ie. 620-630 km/h.
Leaves the DB 601s-605s for the bigger Reggianne fighters.
Macchi Mc.2002 with Jumo 211 engine.
Macchi-C.202-Folgore-w-Junkers-Jumo.png

I tried extending the tail a bit for a sleeker look but wasn't happy with the results.

Cross post as I think this could have made a good Heavy Fighter with about eight machine guns or a couple of cannon mounted in the wings. (Because synchronizing fire through counter-rotating propellers is hard and I don't have the Soviets managing to do it in my Crimson Skies Universe) A bit longer wings I'd think (certainly not reducing it to one engine like they did OTL, and no Barbarossa to kill the project) and I'd keep the twin tail but add two machine guns to the rear turret.
S-2M-103-7.jpeg

As the other thread says I could see it as a fast recon plane as well. Thoughts?

Randy

Cross post as I think this could have made a good Heavy Fighter with about eight machine guns or a couple of cannon mounted in the wings. (Because synchronizing fire through counter-rotating propellers is hard and I don't have the Soviets managing to do it in my Crimson Skies Universe) A bit longer wings I'd think (certainly not reducing it to one engine like they did OTL, and no Barbarossa to kill the project) and I'd keep the twin tail but add two machine guns to the rear turret.
S-2M-103-7.jpeg

As the other thread says I could see it as a fast recon plane as well. Thoughts?

Randy
I prefer the other design with the same coupled engine

ZXAUS10.png

S-2M-103-7.jpeg

Randy
I could see it being fast but not sure how maneuverable it would be.
A good bomber killer I would think.

I prefer the other design with the same coupled engine

View attachment 866761

Haven't seen that one before.. Neat! And it frees up the nose for weapons.

I could see it being fast but not sure how maneuverable it would be.
A good bomber killer I would think.

Maneuverable? This is essentially the same period OTL where certain authors and comic writers were pushing the idea of a Gee Bee Sportster as a fighter aircraft :)
09e40d3671b2734fd5c7a3d3eb7048a1.jpg

Randy

Driftless

Donor
Haven't seen that one before.. Neat! And it frees up the nose for weapons.

Maneuverable? This is essentially the same period OTL where certain authors and comic writers were pushing the idea of a Gee Bee Sportster as a fighter aircraft :)
09e40d3671b2734fd5c7a3d3eb7048a1.jpg

Randy
IIRC, the originals were a bitch to fly - very unstable. Also, as I understand it, the 90's replica had some limited computerized fly-by-wire help, and an extremely skilled pilot(Del Benjamin). I saw that at Oshkosh once in the previous millenium (95?). Damn cool!!

S-2M-103-7.jpeg

Randy
Tis the stretched limo of fighter craft only question is is there a pool in the back lol

Transylvania Empire Fokker Dr.I w DVIII tail+.png

Another warplane of the Transylvanian Empire, this one from the Great War, southern front 1919.

Fokker Dr.I with tail from a Fokker D.VII.

Any worth in reducing the number of wings from 3 to 2 on the Dr.I?
It would probably be similar to a D.VII but maybe not as fast, this alt-version might be a little faster than OTL while still retaining good maneuverability.
Just my opinion, nothing to really base this on though.

Any worth in reducing the number of wings from 3 to 2 on the Dr.I?
Forgot that I had this bi-plane version of the Dr.I with D.VII tail.

Fokker Dr.I w DVIII tail-Bi-Plane=.gif

Again I can't honestly say how or if there would be any improvement in this design over the OTL plane but I think it might be faster.