Alternate History Challenge: Create a world where Witch Hunts come back after 1850

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by JustinianTheGrand, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JustinianTheGrand Augustus

Somehow make witch hunts common again after the year 1850.

Edit: So I have received some....clarification of the broadness of my post. I'll clarify a bit. I was talking about witch hunts in Europe and the Americas and I'll say that the time frame is 1850-1930.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

Global Nuclear war

3. FranzAncheNo Citizen of the Republic of Pistoia

4. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

Witch hunts occur in certain parts of Africa to this day, so... OTL. If you want it to be in the West, however, I suspect @Wolttaire rightly points to the only option that'll get the trick done by the present day. Only a complete civilisation-wrecking disaster can accomplish this.

However... I don't believe the Whiggish myth of history being an upward trajectory, nor do I believe that the current culture of secularism is in any way a permanent "evolution". It's merely a phase, that's going to pass in time. So a future history scenario where witch hunts are once again a viable policy option doesn't strike me as at all implausible. Although I must note that any true fervour for such things was a historical anomaly, and it will again be such if it should happen again.

5. sarahz Well-Known Member

You need to ensure that any historical departure removes the Catholic Church from any position of power. Belief in witchcraft is heretical and historically the Vatican was far more likely to prosecute witch hunters than alleged witches. The only real exception being Jeanne D' Arc and she of course was later canonised. A protestant theocracy, however, is pretty likely to be into witch trials.

FranzAncheNo likes this.
  6. TRH Tyrannosaurus Rex Handler

It doesn't have to be a universal thing, though. Perhaps the Great Awakenings could add focus on witchcraft to their agenda? Then it would be baked into the character of evangelical Protestantism, and witch hunts would become part and parcel of periodic spikes in religious fundamentalism, at least in the Anglosphere.

KaiserWilhelm and Kerney like this.
  7. Kerney defender of low probability atls everywhere

Go after minorities.

They were throwing Indian Shamans into insane asylums and jails into the 1930s. Take them to Indian boarding schools and have the kids burn them to cut them off from "Uncivilized" cultural ties.

Make Louisiana go after Voodoo practioners in order 'educate/suppress' black people.

Then, with these fine examples, have poor whites start to turn on each other.

8. Strategos' Risk Oriental Orientalist

Ever heard of a little something called the Mueller Report?

9. Kerney defender of low probability atls everywhere

Do deals with the forces of Hell qualify as a hostile foreign power? If not, it's not illegal. That means the Mueller report won't cover it.

10. Mad Bad Rabbit Well-Known Member

I'd have to say: yes.

11. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Must have missed the whole no current politics outside of Chat thing, heh?

DO NOT REPEAT.

12. Strategos' Risk Oriental Orientalist

It was a joke, but trolling is probably an even worse infraction, so alright.

13. Fabius Maximus Unus qui nobis cunctando restituit rem

IDK, the spiritualism and occultism had a bit of a revival during the Victorian period, and it's not too much of a stretch from "Occult powers exist" to "We must punish people who misuse occult powers".

14. Mad Bad Rabbit Well-Known Member

The Carrington Event awakens psionic powers in humans. The Victorian spiritualists and occultists and fakirs and Ghost Dancers weren't fake...

Strategos' Risk likes this.
  15. Strategos' Risk Oriental Orientalist

How would a post-Carrington American Civil War go? Not to mention that this is the height of the Taiping Rebellion, and shortly after the end of the Crimean War.

16. Byzantion Well-Known Member

Didn't a death occured in France in 1870 because of Mass hysteria?

17. JustinianTheGrand Augustus

I was talking more about widespread organized things. Like Salem but on a bugger scale