Alternate General Motors Vehicle Lineup (1980-Present)

This timeline will explore an alternate General Motors through the vehicle lineups of Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac. The timeline will mostly focus on the domestic car lineups, but trucks, vans, and especially SUV'S will be focused on as well as the SUV segment grows in the 90's.

Last edited:
1980 Chevrolet Lineup
072816-Barn-Finds-1980-Chevrolet-Monza-Towne-Coupe-1.jpg

COMPACT:
Monza

c1.jpg

SUB-COMPACT: Chevette

citation1-e1457017361831.jpg

SMALL CAR: Citation
All new for 1980. Replaces the Nova. Also available in three door.

1980-chevrolet-malibu-classic-photo-557597-s-original.jpg

MID SIZE: Malibu/Coupe/Wagon

3771559841_cebe351846_z.jpg

LARGE: Caprice/Impala/Wagon

80-montecarlo-tb.jpg

PERSONAL LUXURY COUPE: Monte Carlo

sc0517-300449_1@2x.jpg

SPORTS: Camaro

cfa6f3b2a3537e5c7eeed78406e5fa5e.jpg

SPORTS: Corvette

Last edited:

SwampTiger

Banned
GM kept the US Chevette too late. Same with the Vega based Monza. GM needed a smaller FWD, efficient commuter to overwhelm the market. Instead we got the interesting but flawed Fiero, and clunky Chevette. I bought a Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt that year, with the 4L/4H tranny. Fun car. Quick, but red-lined at 92 mph. Still got 32 mpg.

kernals12

Banned
GM kept the US Chevette too late. Same with the Vega based Monza. GM needed a smaller FWD, efficient commuter to overwhelm the market. Instead we got the interesting but flawed Fiero, and clunky Chevette. I bought a Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt that year, with the 4L/4H tranny. Fun car. Quick, but red-lined at 92 mph. Still got 32 mpg.
There was the Chevrolet Sprint. Alternatively there's the Vauxhall Nova/Opel Corsa.

kernals12

Banned
Read it. I like your Ford one better. Wish you would do a Chrysler one.
I did Ford and GM because I was feeling depressed about their lost market share. Chrysler has managed to remain within a consistent band of between 9 and 16% of the US market since 1961.

kernals12

Banned
Seeing Monza and Monte Carlo there reminds me of the under-noticed 1970s fad of naming cars after cities. In addition to those, there was the:
Chrysler Cordoba (with the Soft Corinthian Leather)
Dodge Monaco
Lincoln Versailles
Ford Torino
Ford Granada
Cadillac Seville
Dodge Aspen

Last edited:
As much as I liked the Ford timeline, I didn't like that Lincoln was killed off. The continental was way better than any Cadillac. Mercury being killed actually makes sense in the long run.

kernals12

Banned
As much as I liked the Ford timeline, I didn't like that Lincoln was killed off. The continental was way better than any Cadillac. Mercury being killed actually makes sense in the long run.
Lincoln was continually losing money and being outsold by Cadillac by staggering margins. Chrysler abandoned the luxury market when it killed off the Imperial marque in 1975, so it seemed like a sensible move for Ford to do likewise.

One of the problems regarding the Chevette is the failure of GM to replace the Chevette with a more suitable Front Wheel Drive model before the 1981 or 1982 model year. Something else that GM should have done with the Chevette was to start the development when the development of the T Platform (That the Chevette was built on) was started.

Here is how the product life of the Chevette in the U.S. market could have been if it was done right (Mainly major updates listed here).

1974 - Chevette gets introduced for the 1974 model year (2 years earlier than OTL) offering 3 and 5 door hatchback 4 door sedan and 5 Door Station wagon versions.
1980 - All new redesigned Front Wheel Drive Chevette is introduced which will be the based on the Opel Kadett D but with sealed beam headlights and Redesigned Bumpers (That meet U.S. safety standards). 5 Speed manual becomes an option. Scooter model no longer available for retail sales.
1981 - Retail sales of both the sedan and station wagon versions of the Chevette are discontinued midway in the model year to make room in the lineup for the soon to be introduced Cavalier. A Diesel engine becomes available. 3 Point seat belts in the back seat (Center lap belt in the back seat) become standard.
1982 - The sedan and station wagon versions of the Chevette are discontinued as the all new Cavalier goes on sale. Fuel injected engines (TBI) become an option (Standard in California). Scooter model dropped too.
1984 - Final year for Carburetors.
1985 - Chevette gets redesigned for it's third generation based on the Opel Kadett E but again with sealed beam headlights (As the development of this generation started prior to the use of composite headlamps being approved by the NHTSA) and Redesigned Bumpers to meet all the U.S. safety standards. Fuel injection (Still TBI) becomes standard.
1986 - The sealed beam headlights on the Chevette get replaced with the aerodynamic composite headlights used on the Kadett E but with SAE complainant bulbs.
1987 - Diesel engine dropped due to both falling sales and the Oil Glut and a 4 Speed automatic becomes an option.
1988 - The trim line is completely overhauled (Base, S, CL, and RS) and Multi-port Fuel Injection becomes an option.
1990 - For the final year of this generation the Chevette gets automatic seat belts (There would be no reason for GM to add an airbag to the existing Chevette when the redesigned model is in the works) and the 3 Speed Automatic is dropped.
1991 - The Chevette is redesigned for it's forth generation adding a Drivers side Airbag based on the Opel Astra F. CS model replaces both the Base and S trim lines.
1992 - High performance Z22 Chevette becomes available. Anti-Lock brakes become an option (Standard on the Z22).
1994 - The Chevette is given a facelift (Includes chassis refinement) and adds a Passenger side Airbag.
1998 - The Chevette is redesigned for it's fifth generation and adds second generation Airbags based on the Opel/Vauxhall Astra G.
2003 - The Center lap belt gets replaced with a 3 Point Seat Belt and Anti-Lock Brakes now standard.
2004 - Final year for the T Body Platform and the 3 door hatchbacks.
2005 - A all new Chevette (Will be based on the Astra H) for it's sixth generation debuts now built on the same platform that the either a new generation Cavalier (If it gets fully redesigned ITTL) or it's replacement (If the Cavalier is discontinued in 2005 as IOTL) is built on.
2007 - 5 Speed automatic and a 6 Speed Manual becomes an option.
2009 - 4 Speed Automatic and 5 Speed manual dropped.
2010 - Chevette is redesigned for it's seventh generation (based on the Astra J). 6 Speed Manual now standard and a 6 Speed Automatic now the only Automatic transmission available.
2014 - New Clean Diesel introduced.
2016 - Redesigned Chevette (Based on the Astra K) debuts for it's eighth and final generation (Due to declining sales of Small Cars in favor of crossover SUV's).
2019 - Trim lines are modified (LT model replaces both the 1LT and 2LT models and the base L model dropped)
2020 (Projected) - Final year for the Chevette (Production is schedued to cease on September of 2020).

1980 Pontiac Lineup
pontiac-sunbird-1980-4.jpg

COMPACT: Sunbird

37663791980-Pontiac-Phoenix.jpg

SMALL: Phoenix
All new for 1980. Replaces the Ventura.

38356140001_original.jpg

MIDSIZE: LeMans/Sedan/Wagon/Grand Am

001.jpg

LARGE: Bonneville/Catalina/Safari wagon

840062_7c1ab51814_low_res.jpg

PERSONAL LUXURY: Grand Prix

2391239-1980-pontiac-firebird-formula-std.jpg

SPORTS: Firebird

Driftless

Donor
Why did you keep the Citation?! That car probably did more than any other to sink GM.

I know this is just one persons anecdote, but I ordered a 1980 Citation when they were first introduced (with the new and horrible transverse V-6). Hands down, the worst car I've owned for maintenance. I could not keep it out of the shop(everything from seat controls to power steering to master brake cylinder, a window falling off!, etc), and eventually the internal engine lubrication problems with that new V-6 ended in a partial engine rebuild at 38,000 miles. That was a few months ahead of the national recall for those very same issues, so GM made me the scapegoat for the engine problems. I sold the car to an acquaintance - with full disclosure of it's BS service history. It was 20 years before I bought another GM car - and that was a high mileage pickup.

1980 Oldsmobile Lineup
7052120001_large.jpg

SMALL: Omega
Redesigned for 1980.

8661889104_8ffaebb7c7_z.jpg

MIDSIZE: Cutlass 78

maxresdefault.jpg

oldsmobile_98_regency_1980.jpg

LARGE: Delta 88 and Regency 98/ coupe/ custom cruiser wagon

33123970002_original.jpg

oldsmobile-toronado-1980-1.jpg

PERSONAL LUXURY:
Cutlass Supreme and Tornado

Note: Starfire never existed.

Last edited:

kernals12

Banned
I know this is just one persons anecdote, but I ordered a 1980 Citation when they were first introduced (with the new and horrible transverse V-6). Hands down, the worst car I've owned for maintenance. I could not keep it out of the shop(everything from seat controls to power steering to master brake cylinder, a window falling off!, etc), and eventually the internal engine lubrication problems with that new V-6 ended in a partial engine rebuild at 38,000 miles. That was a few months ahead of the national recall for those very same issues, so GM made me the scapegoat for the engine problems. I sold the car to an acquaintance - with full disclosure of it's BS service history. It was 20 years before I bought another GM car - and that was a high mileage pickup.
A Car and Driver writer admitted later that he and his colleagues were fooled by GM. They drove press cars that had their torque steer engineered out. He said he was shocked when he drove a normal production version how much torque steer there was. It was a dumpster fire of epic proportions.