Alternate Emperors of France?

Is it possible for someone other than Napoleon to proclaim themselves emperor or king of france? Who would it be (I was thinking Jean Victor Marie Morea, or André Masséna)? and How well would they do as the Emperor or King.

might I suggest another member of the Bourbon family, Louis Stanislas (OTL Louis XVIII); he was fairly intelligent and after the 100 days of Napoleon was a pretty liberal monarch. He might be acceptable but any situation involves the elimination of Napoleaon, IMHO.

Massena might do the job; I've played around with using Davout, whose military abilities and inclinations are in my opinion about the same as Napoleon's. The key difference (problem, from your perspective?) is that Davout seems wholly uninterested in founding a dynasty - he would have been happy with Consul-for-life (and thus n't have any reason to give Vienna decent terms in 1805; guillotines for the Habsburgs, and everything goes pear-shaped then...)

Faeelin

Banned
he key difference (problem, from your perspective?) is that Davout seems wholly uninterested in founding a dynasty - he would have been happy with Consul-for-life (and thus n't have any reason to give Vienna decent terms in 1805; guillotines for the Habsburgs, and everything goes pear-shaped then...)

Mmm. I don't think Napoleon was thinking of a dynasty in 1805; just thinking in terms of old fashioned power politics. It's not like Talleyrand had to restrain him from destroying the Austrians then, after all.