Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the county map would look like for the Democrats in this scenario. I assume they would win a vast majority of counties, similar to Johnson in 1964.
Bullock would probably win fewer counties than Johnson did, due to the vast number of rural counties that are deep red, but he would certainly win a solid majority of counties - the first Democrat to do so since Jimmy Carter in 1976.

Bullock would probably win fewer counties than Johnson did, due to the vast number of rural counties that are deep red, but he would certainly win a solid majority of counties - the first Democrat to do so since Jimmy Carter in 1976.
I see. Are there any maps that would reflect, or could reflect, how the map would look like?

Are these subdivisions polling districts? If so, is there any resource you can link me to regarding the boundaries of the districts?
I got the boundaries from the wikipedia population denisty maps (unfortunatley not SVG) and i got the results by polling booth from the heralds 2014 election coverage and kinda match it to the district so its hard to do but yeah

Election info if interested
http://data.nzherald.co.nz/electorates/invercargill

and map template
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SouthlandRegionPopulationDensity.png

I got the boundaries from the wikipedia population denisty maps (unfortunatley not SVG) and i got the results by polling booth from the heralds 2014 election coverage and kinda match it to the district so its hard to do but yeah

Election info if interested
http://data.nzherald.co.nz/electorates/invercargill

and map template
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SouthlandRegionPopulationDensity.png
Er - I don't think Statistics NZ Area Units do match up with polling booths. I mean, for one thing, I can see several where the Invercargill electorate boundary cuts some areas in half. And for another, I can see that the Otatara booth serves at least three or four Area Units. And the Area Unit containing Colac Bay has two polling booths just on the Invercargill side of the boundary.

So I'm not surprised it's turning out to be quite difficult, really.

Er - I don't think Statistics NZ Area Units do match up with polling booths. I mean, for one thing, I can see several where the Invercargill electorate boundary cuts some areas in half. And for another, I can see that the Otatara booth serves at least three or four Area Units. And the Area Unit containing Colac Bay has two polling booths just on the Invercargill side of the boundary.

So I'm not surprised it's turning out to be quite difficult, really.
Yeah yeah it dosent work like us precints or anything which is dissapointing when your making a map that depends on it but you dont really need to for practical purposes. i just did it because it would be fun to se what it looks like because it shows local politics

Deleted member 83898

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 2.55.15 AM.png

Rumsfeld/Dole in 1980 in PI.

So I was working on a PR electoral map for France, but I'm not a 100% sure if the merger of departements to make the constituencies makes sense in some place, so some feedback would be great!

I'd say most divisions make sense, put I'd personally not divide the Nord Département, even if it would have lots of votes this way.

As a side not, are the colors political parties akin to the French ones (pink = left, blue= right)? Because there is no way in hell that Finistère and Ille-Et-Vilaine would vote right, and if the colors are reversed, it makes even less sense that Côtes-d'Armor would vote right. In the same vein, if pink is left, there is no way that upper Provence, the mediterranean coast and Pas de Calais would vote left, tey are the msot extreme-right parts of the country.

I'd say most divisions make sense, put I'd personally not divide the Nord Département, even if it would have lots of votes this way.

As a side not, are the colors political parties akin to the French ones (pink = left, blue= right)? Because there is no way in hell that Finistère and Ille-Et-Vilaine would vote right, and if the colors are reversed, it makes even less sense that Côtes-d'Armor would vote right. In the same vein, if pink is left, there is no way that upper Provence, the mediterranean coast and Pas de Calais would vote left, tey are the msot extreme-right parts of the country.

Thanks for the input!

Most implies some don't, so besides the Nord department (which honestly, yes it'd be much too large), what are the ones that don't make sense? As for the colours, they are totally random, not linked to the political inclinations of a given constituency.

Thanks for the input!

Most implies some don't, so besides the Nord department (which honestly, yes it'd be much too large), what are the ones that don't make sense? As for the colours, they are totally random, not linked to the political inclinations of a given constituency.

How I see it is that msot fusions were made in the spirit of balancing MPs, which makes Guyane a bit sad. Some might not agree with me, but I'd fuse Martinique, Guadeloupe and Guyane into one constituency (maybe called Outremer?), Apart from that, really, other divisions would be more cultural than anything (fusing Vendée with Poitou for example), but would imbalance the MPs.

I wonder what the county map would look like for the Democrats in this scenario. I assume they would win a vast majority of counties, similar to Johnson in 1964.
The map would look roughly like this. as you can see, there's still a ton of red here, but Bullock (narrowly) wins an absolute majority of counties.

QydYYna.jpg

From Forgotten No More

The Gubernatorial elections of 1902. 26 states held gubernatorial elections in 1902.

Workers Party: 27 (-3)
Federalist Party: 14 (+3)
Constitution Party: 3 (+2)
Truth & Light Party: 1 (/)
1902 GOVERNOR ELECTIONS .png

Does anyone have something handy that would show how far the 2016 election (or 2012 or 2020) would have to shift to give the Democrats a victory in a majority of US counties? (for this purpose, I'm treating the Alaskan unorganized borough as one county)

Does anyone have something handy that would show how far the 2016 election (or 2012 or 2020) would have to shift to give the Democrats a victory in a majority of US counties? (for this purpose, I'm treating the Alaskan unorganized borough as one county)

Well, even if you give Hillary Clinton every county that Trump won with less than 60% of the vote, she'd still be pretty far off from winning a majority of counties. Short of an FDR style landslide, you'd need to have a Democrat who can win rural counties that lean strongly GOP in order for them to win a majority of counties.

This is the fifteenth installment in my alternate American election series.

Metropotamia
Alta California
North Carolina
New Jersey
Adams
Alabama

Rhode Island
Sequoyah
Assenisipia
East Florida
Tennessee
Kansas
Dakota

Arizona

Delaware is a small yet interesting state with its own two unique parties, Whig-Labor and the Democratic Republicans.

Whig-Labor was a combination of the Whig and Labor parties during the early 2000s. The Whig party was a centrist liberal party founded in 1973 by aspiring politician Biden who sought to restore order in the aftermath of the Conservative Revolution. While his party remained a minor force during the 1970s during the 1980s it begun to gain steam and after being the main opposition during the mid 80s it became the governing party in 1989. Charting a centrist approach forward the party remained in power until the creation of the Democratic Republicans in 1996 to form an united front against the hegemonic Whig party. This lead to the Whig coalition government of 1997 with Labor, which forced the Whigs to shift more to the left. Then after the Democratic Republicans won control of government in 2001 the decision to unite the two parties was made, leading to Whig-Labor shortly afterwards capturing the House in 2003 and the senate in 2005. Ever since the Whig-Labor has remained the governing party of Delaware, lead by the charismatic John Biden.

However following the election of 2016 Biden made a bombshell announcement when he announced he would be resigning after the end of his thirteenth term a scramble of internal power struggles occurred with the Whig-Labor party. While former treasurer Charles Markell emerged from the primaries as the party leader following the primaries the Democratic Republicans began launching negative campaign ads highlighting his participation in the bailing out of banking corporations at taxpayer's expense. With the Democratic Republicans predicted to retake both the House and Senate for the second time this millennia things looked grim for the Whigs.

Yet when the results came in the implausible occurred, by just one mere seat the Whig-Labor and Green parties possessed a 51 seat majority which proved enough to secure a stable government despite the Democratic Republicans technically being larger than Whig-Labor proper. This miraclous victory likely occurred due to a surge of young voters who had known the Whig party all their lives and did not want Delaware to follow a similar path to other states such as North Carolina or Pennsylvania which were swept up by the Democratic surge of 2016. Thus the Whig-Labor party chugged onwards in continuing its eternal technocratic government.

Government:
Whig-Labor - A combination of social democratic Labor and Biden's own centrist Whigs, the party can be described ideologically as left-leaning liberal. Favoring a technocratic rule of government with stablity as a number one priority its rule over Delaware has continued for decades on end and after its narrow victory in 2017 seems to have bought itself still more time.
Greens - The main left wing opposition to the Whigs, they grew from a meager two seats to formidable six in the election of 2017 and have now entered the state government of Delaware for the first time in the history. With a large set of bills from legalizing marijuana to large scale investments in solar power the Greens are sure to push the Whigs even more to the left.

Opposition:
Democratic Republicans - The main opposition party of Delaware formed specifically to stop the hegemony of the Whigs, they were part of government only from 2001 to 2003, though they almost captured control in 2017 as well. Nevertheless they hope that the Greens' influence in the governing coalition will force the government too far left and result in even more centrist voters switching over to the Democratic Republicans.
Black Panthers - The black nationalist mainly based in the inner cities of the Wilmington area, the increasing crime rate of the area and inability of the Whig government to do anything about it resulted in the Black Panthers gaining yet another seat in this election as well as a seat in the Senate of Delaware for the first time.

delaware_by_moralisticcommunist-db3u8jl.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.