Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We interrupt this program to bring you tragic news from the Republican convention in Chicago. A bomb has gone off in the convention hall, killing hundreds of people. General Eisenhower and Senator Taft are believed to be among the dead."
- CBS News transcript, July 9th, 1952

"SUSPECTED RNC BOMBER ARRESTED, RUSSIAN TIES BEING PROBED"
- Front page of the New York Times, July 10th, 1952

"Those d- commies can go straight to h-! I warned the Senate about this, but the leftists never listened! I guess it's time somebody did something for once..."

"GOP CHOOSES JOE MCCARTHY AS NOMINEE AS COMMUNIST FEARS ESCALATE AFTER BOMBING"
- Front page of the Chicago Tribune, July 16th, 1952

"Governor Stevenson won't do a single g-d- thing about the commies!"
- McCarthy rally on October 15th, 1952

"Dewey Defeats Truman" repeat unlikely as East Coast called for McCarthy"
-Live election results, November 4, 1952
Capture.JPG

Something I made a while ago, but never posted: the 2016 election by census region and division (including our old pal the electoral college).

Census Region:
pvIvmqc.png

Republican: Donald Trump (NY)/Mike Pence (IN) - 317 EV
Democratic: Hillary Clinton (NY)/Tim Kaine (VA) - 221 EV

Census Division:
7WvqylV.png

Democratic: Hillary Clinton (NY)/Tim Kaine (VA) - 287 EV
Republican: Donald Trump (NY)/Mike Pence (IN) - 251 EV
I think this will be the Second Civil War.

"We interrupt this program to bring you tragic news from the Republican convention in Chicago. A bomb has gone off in the convention hall, killing hundreds of people. General Eisenhower and Senator Taft are believed to be among the dead."

Congrats, you've made 1 of 2 times in althist I've been willing to believe a "false flag" conspiracy theory.

Rhad

Banned
Matchup time again!

Colorado just barely decided this one--it was 1.3833% for Johnson vs. 1.3825% for Stein.

Gary Johnson (2012) vs. Jill Stein (2016):
genusmap.php

Libertarian: Gary Johnson (NM)/James P. Gray (CA) - 276 EV, 0.99% PV
Green: Jill Stein (MA)/Ajamu Baraka (IL) - 262 EV, 1.06% PV

Wiki has different numbers, I think.

I don't use absolute numbers; I use percentages so that overall turnout doesn't affect the matchup. And, again, I would point out that this is 2012 Johnson vs. 2016 Stein.
Would you consider doing a 2016 Johnson vs. 2012 Stein (or would that be too much of a landslide to warrant a map)?

Would you consider doing a 2016 Johnson vs. 2012 Stein (or would that be too much of a landslide to warrant a map)?

Considering that 2012 Johnson vs. 2012 Stein was a Johnson-stomp (see my post history in this thread if you want to take a look), I would say that 2016 Johnson vs. 2012 Stein would probably be 538-0.

(I have a really bad sense of humour and thought this would be kinda funny, so I calculated the EVs for Trump's nightmare).

"When you're working for Hillary, she wants to let people just pour in. You could have 650 million people pour in and we do nothing about it. Think of it. That's what could happen. You triple the size of our country in a week."
-Donald Trump's prophetic warning, October 30, 2016

The United States Presidential Election of 2020 saw a rematch of the 2016 elections, with deeply unpopular president Hillary Clinton facing Donald Trump. However, Clinton's immigration policy had, to put it mildly, altered the Electoral College...

jhsBiy3.png

President Hillary Clinton/Immigrant Enrique Peña Nieto - 365,890,000 votes (85.3%), 376 EVs
Businessman Donald Trump/Businessman Rex Tillerson - 63,250,000 votes (14.5%), 162 EVs

(I have a really bad sense of humour and thought this would be kinda funny, so I calculated the EVs for Trump's nightmare).

"When you're working for Hillary, she wants to let people just pour in. You could have 650 million people pour in and we do nothing about it. Think of it. That's what could happen. You triple the size of our country in a week."
-Donald Trump's prophetic warning, October 30, 2016

The United States Presidential Election of 2020 saw a rematch of the 2016 elections, with deeply unpopular president Hillary Clinton facing Donald Trump. However, Clinton's immigration policy had, to put it mildly, altered the Electoral College...

President Hillary Clinton/Immigrant Enrique Peña Nieto - 365,890,000 votes (85.3%), 376 EVs
Businessman Donald Trump/Businessman Rex Tillerson - 63,250,000 votes (14.5%), 162 EVs

Funny, but a couple of points...
1) The election for the year ending in zero is done from the *previous* census, so for example, the 1972, 1976 and 1980 elections are on the same map.
2) Why did they all stay in California?
3) Reapportionment requires a law to be passed, my bet is that you'll have no law passed and so (like after the US Census of 1920) no change.
4) VP candidates are required to meet the same rules as the Presidential Candidates, so they have to be native born....

Funny, but a couple of points...
1) The election for the year ending in zero is done from the *previous* census, so for example, the 1972, 1976 and 1980 elections are on the same map.
2) Why did they all stay in California?
3) Reapportionment requires a law to be passed, my bet is that you'll have no law passed and so (like after the US Census of 1920) no change.
4) VP candidates are required to meet the same rules as the Presidential Candidates, so they have to be native born....

Do you think....
1) This is
2) Intended
3) To be
4) Serious?

Bedtime For Bozo: A Reagan Assassination TL

The presidency of Ronald Reagan is one of the shortest and most bizarre chapters of American history. A former actor elected Governor of California in the Republican's 1966 comeback and longstanding joke among liberals, Reagan built up a following as a conservative firebrand and, after almost upsetting incumbent President Gerald Ford in the 1976 Republican primaries, swept to victory in the 1980 Presidential election against Democrat Jimmy Carter. On March 30th 1981, just 69 days into his Presidency, Reagan was assassinated by an obsessive Jodie Foster fan named John Hinckley Jr. The whole scenario reads more like a cartoon than a real Presidency.

Perhaps fittingly, his successor, George H.W. Bush, was a far more subdued politician. He did not push so eagerly for Reagan's supply-side economic approach (which he regarded as 'voodoo economics'), though his government's investments in getting the economy going again were still fairly successful. He was not as hawkish as his predecessor, keeping international relations reasonably diplomatic (and infuriating one of Reagan's stauch allies, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, in the process) and being the bigger man over Brezhnev, Andropov and Chenyenko's fuming rather than trying to strike fear into the hearts of the Soviets in the most comically over the top way, as Reagan might have.

While, by 1984, most voters were reasonably satisfied with the current administration, the Republican right was not. Many of them mourned the absence of Reagan's aggressively patriotic approach; even today, some speculate Reagan could have won all 50 states in his re-election campaign; and resented Bush for his lack of vigor in personally pushing their agenda. To appease them, he picked as his Vice Presidential nominee Nevada Senator Paul Laxalt, one of Reagan's closest friends (both geographically and politically), and was pushed to declare at the 1984 Republican convention that he would tell the Democratic Congress, 'Read my lips- no new taxes!'

In the Democratic camp, there was a sense they needed to be able to capitalise on public indifference to Bush; it was felt the Democrats needed to win back moderates by capitalizing on a new approach. A bloody battle for the nomination came down to the liberal former Vice President Walter Mondale, and the moderate Senator Gary Hart of Colorado. Eventually, however, Mondale's famous protestation of Hart's policy agenda ('Where's the beef?') and his backing by the party establishment delivered Mondale the nomination. Mondale's running mate was Kentucky Governor Martha Layne Collins, chosen as a compromise between Mondale liking the prospect of a female running mate to establish a precedent, and party activists feeling they needed to recapture voters from poorer and industrial states to stand a chance of winning. In retaliation to Bush's pledge from the Republican convention a few weeks prior, Mondale declared, 'Mr Bush will raise taxes, and so will I. He won't tell you. I just did.'

Unfortunately for Mondale, his lip-reading skills needed work.

genusmap.php

Bush/Laxalt (Republican): 389 EVs, 54.8%
Mondale/ Collins (Democratic): 149 EVs, 44.4%

While Bush's victory was larger than Reagan's margin over Carter in 1980 in the popular vote, and the Republicans made further inroads into the House and Senate, the results were still something of a surprise. Pundits had predicted that Mondale would outperform Carter on the Pacific coast and in the Northeast while Bush swept the South, but the Democratic vote picked up slightly almost everywhere. It was felt that, despite his cumbersome campaigning, Mondale's played-for-honesty approach combined with Collins's presence did surprisingly well in the South. On the flipside, Bush's moderation of the Republican right had delivered him the Pacific coast and most of the Eastern seaboard.

Unfortunately for the Republicans, things were about to get rocky.

(Not sure how plausible this is, but hopefully it'll be kinda interesting.)

Never Take Counsel Of Your Fears
genusmap.php

George H. W. Bush/Dan Quayle (Republican): 529 EV
William Clinton/Al Gore (Democratic): 9 EV
Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke (Green): 0 EV

genusmap.php

Bob Dole/Donald Trump (Republican): 444 EV

Mario Cuomo/Zell Miller (Democratic): 94 EV

genusmap.php

Bob Dole/Donald Trump (Republican): 535 EV

unpledged electors (Democratic): 3 EV

genusmap.php

(went to House, which selected: Donald Trump/George W. Bush)

Jack Andrews/George W. Bush (Republican): 203 EV
Donald Trump/George W. Bush (Republican): 203 EV
Barack Obama/Jim Jeffords (Republican): 78 EV
Ron Paul/Gary Johnson (Republican): 54 EV

genusmap.php

Jack Andrews/George W. Bush (People's): 460 EV
Donald Trump/Barack Obama (Progressive): 78 EV

genusmap.php

Jack Andrews/Zephyr Teachout (People's): 343 EV
Barack Obama/Sarah Palin (Progressive): 184 EV
Rand Paul/Jesse Ventura (Nullifier): 8 EV
Bernie Sanders/various (Anti-Monopoly): 3 EV

genusmap.php

Zephyr Teachout/Joe Manchin (People's): 341 EV
Colin Powell/Jason Kander (Progressive): 88 EV
Pat McCrory/Jason Kander (Progressive): 55 EV
Deval Patrick/Mike Michaud (Progressive): 46 EV
John Bel Edwards/Joaquin Castro (Progressive): 8 EV

genusmap.php

Colin Powell/Jason Kander (Progressive): 482 EV
Zephyr Teachout/various (People's): 56 EV

Never Take Counsel Of Your Fears
genusmap.php

George H. W. Bush/Dan Quayle (Republican): 529 EV
William Clinton/Al Gore (Democratic): 9 EV
Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke (Green): 0 EV

genusmap.php

Bob Dole/Donald Trump (Republican): 444 EV

Mario Cuomo/Zell Miller (Democratic): 94 EV

genusmap.php

Bob Dole/Donald Trump (Republican): 535 EV

unpledged electors (Democratic): 3 EV

genusmap.php

(went to House, which selected: Donald Trump/George W. Bush)

Jack Andrews/George W. Bush (Republican): 203 EV
Donald Trump/George W. Bush (Republican): 203 EV
Barack Obama/Jim Jeffords (Republican): 78 EV
Ron Paul/Gary Johnson (Republican): 54 EV

genusmap.php

Jack Andrews/George W. Bush (People's): 460 EV
Donald Trump/Barack Obama (Progressive): 78 EV

genusmap.php

Jack Andrews/Zephyr Teachout (People's): 343 EV
Barack Obama/Sarah Palin (Progressive): 184 EV
Rand Paul/Jesse Ventura (Nullifier): 8 EV
Bernie Sanders/various (Anti-Monopoly): 3 EV

genusmap.php

Zephyr Teachout/Joe Manchin (People's): 341 EV
Colin Powell/Jason Kander (Progressive): 88 EV
Pat McCrory/Jason Kander (Progressive): 55 EV
Deval Patrick/Mike Michaud (Progressive): 46 EV
John Bel Edwards/Joaquin Castro (Progressive): 8 EV

genusmap.php

Colin Powell/Jason Kander (Progressive): 482 EV
Zephyr Teachout/various (People's): 56 EV
I... I don't know who to support anymore.

Bedtime For Bozo: 1984

Bush, like Nixon before him, might have gone down as a very good President in all respects were it not for scandals and economic deterioration in his second term. His credibility as an economic revitaliser was dented by the stock market crash of Black Monday (19th October 1987), and the Iran-Contra fiasco of 1986, in which the involvement of senior administration figures in arms sales to Iran, which was officially under an arms embargo, in an effort to free American hostages in Lebanon, drew sharp criticism especially from those who had been impressed by Bush's diplomacy. Most politically damaging of all, though, the Democratic Congress had Bush agree to raise existing taxes as part of the 1986 budget, which seriously damaged the President's credibility.

Republicans, furious at what they saw as the President's betrayal (although given his opinions on trickle-down economics in the first place, this was more like the last straw), eagerly tried to recapture the optimism felt by those who had voted for Reagan 8 years prior. The frontrunner at first was Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole, but after he began to be percieved as fudging on the issues, conservative New York Congressman Jack Kemp managed to surge past him, stressing his similarities to Reagan and playing up to the Camelot-like mythos the former President had secured among Republicans. Kemp duly won the New Hampshire primary with the support of local Governor John H. Sunuru, gained momentum and defeated Dole, picking Governor of Illinois Jim Thomson as his running mate.

The Democrats fought a fairly bipartisan primary, with the main headliners being the liberal Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis, Tennessee's moderate Senator Al Gore and the dark horse candidate, the Reverend Jesse Jackson. With moderates seeking to secure the votes of those unconvinced by Bush's problematic second term and the somewhat extreme image of Kemp, Gore performed unexpectedly well, while Dukakis and Jackson effectively split the liberal vote. Seeking to avoid alienating liberals, Gore picked Missouri Representative Dick Gephardt, a favourite among trade unionists, to be his running mate.

The race was to be a contentious one, ironically between two candidates who were personal friends, which led to a fairly muted Presidential debate. Gore attacked Kemp for prioritizing international trade over the economic position of ordinary Americans, whilst Kemp derided the 'roadblock' of the Democratic Congress which he warned would 'roll over' for any initiatives Gore put through, no matter what their economic impact.

genusmap.php

Kemp/Thompson (Republican): 294 EVs, 50.3%
Gore/Gephardt (Democratic): 244 EVs, 49.0%

The election proved extremely close, with only the late returns from large states like New York and California confirming the Republican victory. While Gore and Gephardt had fought hard and performed very well in the South and Midwest (where the farm crisis had worsened Republican hopes in the rural states and fears of the implications of NAFTA had benefitted in critical swing states like Michigan), Gephardt had not sufficiently appealed to liberal voters to hold back the tide in states like California, Pennsylvania, and most surprisingly New York (where Kemp won by less than 0.5%). Furthermore, despite discontent with Bush's premiership, Kemp was able to reflect a desire for more strenuous leadership in a Reaganesque mould better than Gore could speak as a successor to the youthful hope of Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.