Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Personally I think Dukakis is swell, but yeah)

I know I've mentioned this in the Politbrit thread - Hillary Clinton got less votes in West Virginia this year than any other major party candidate since women's suffrage was introduced in 1920.
It's like saying "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business" IN WEST VIRGINIA didn't endure them to her.

Never mind
Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 8.18.54 am.png

RGMH5ys.png

I've working on improving my electoral reform proposal map for Spain. Managed to balance the constituencies in both Madrid and Barcelona provinces and I think the new map gives it a more professional, sharp look. Which is what i wanted since I'll probably try to make a blog to explain my ideas about it, anyway.

Last edited:
Isn't it almost a geographic one too? La Mancha certainly looks a touch dry from what I've seen of it.

Nah, it's dry, but the only deserts in Spain are in Almería and close to Zaragoza, Los Monegros. Most of Spain is pretty yellow during summer, but it's not arid.

The Trumpocalypse, Part IV

The Daniels administration was one of the luckiest in the history of the United States. President Mitch Daniels was swept into Congress with comfortable majorities in both houses, and set to work enacting his agenda and leading the economic recovery. Holding true to his proposed "truce" on social issues, Mitch Daniels' administration accepts and implements the Supreme Court's legalization of same-sex marriage nationwide, to the chagrin of some among his allies on the right. Internationally, the Syrian/Iranian effort to stabilize Iraq results in those countries themselves falling into revolution. The United States leads a NATO/U.N. effort to restore stability in the region, one which, while costly, proves effective in the end, and, oddly, helps the U.S. economy to rebound as the administration opens up more avenues to U.S. oil drilling and exportation to make up for Persian Gulf shortfalls in world markets. A natural gas development boom in the States also aids the Daniels administration's popularity and first-term successes, leading to further GOP gains in the 2014 midterm elections. Attempted revolutions in Libya and Egypt peter out, but similar efforts in Yemen result in a protracted civil war there. However, the capture and execution of Osama bin Laden proves to be the one thing that cements Daniels' popularity.

Nonetheless, the rightward shift in U.S. affairs, coupled with emboldened grassroots progressives lead to Vermont Governor Paul Shumlin's ascendancy in national politics, and he selects Senator Joseph "Joe" Biden as his running mate. Citing the growing polarization of American political life, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg enters the race, running as an independent, and choosing as his running mate Minnesota Representative Dean Barkley.

Campaign themes during the fall campaign included polarization, campaign finance, health care, and the slow pace of the recovery for minority communities, as well as the renewed commitment, albeit under U.N> auspices, in the Middle East. Already broadly popular, and benefiting again from a divided opposition, Mitch Daniels cruises comfortably to reelection.

The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election:

genusmap.php

President Mitch Daniels/Vice President Abel Maldonado (Republican) 486 Electoral Votes
Mayor Michael Bloomberg/Representative Dean Barkley (Independent) 39 Electoral Votes
Governor Paul Shumlin/Senator Joseph "Joe" Biden (Democratic) 13 Electoral Votes

2000:

genusmap.php

Vice-President Al Gore [D-TN]/Senator John Edwards [D-NC] - 343 EV (50.3%)
Governor George W. Bush [R-TX]/Fmr. SoD Dick Cheney [R-WY] - 195 EV (46.1%)

The election of 2000, first of the new millenium, was never really in doubt. A booming economy, peace at home and abroad, the Democrats were popular and Vice-President Al Gore won election comfortably, becoming the first Democrat to win a majority of the popular vote since Jimmy Carter.

The Democrats also retook Congress for the first time since the Republican revolution of 1994.

2004:

genusmap.php

President Al Gore [D-TN]/Vice-President John Edwards [D-NC] - 295 EV (48.8%)

Senator John McCain [R-AZ]/Fmr. Governor Tom Ridge [R-PA] - 243 EV (47.2%)

After 12 years of Democrats, Republicans believed 2004 was there year.

Then came 9/11.

The rally around the flag effect after the 9/11 attack on WTC 1 (which almost brought one of the Twin Towers down) and the War in Afghanistan almost guaranteed Al Gore's re-election. However, John McCain was determined to become President and return the GOP to power. Running on a national security platform, Senator McCain attacked Gore for being weak on terror, weak on Iraq and weak on the economy. However, despite a close race, the base was not energized and Gore's reforms were generally popular. Gore won re-election comfortably, and the Democrats made gains in Congress for the 5th consecutive time.

The GOP was destitute. There was talk of a "permanent Democratic majority", and it seemed to some that the GOP would never see power again.

A civil war was looming, was the GOP neglecting it's conservative base? Was it not moderate enough? Was Libertarianism or Paleoconservativsm the new way to go?

2008:

genusmap.php

Mayor Rudy Giulani [R-NY]/Fmr. Governor Mike Huckabee [R-AR] - 444 EV (54.7%)
Vice-President John Edwards [D-NC]/Senator Barack Obama [D-IL] - 94 EV (44.2%)

The 2006 financial crisis changed everything.

In dramatic fashion, the GOP retook the House and the Senate for the first time since the 1990's, and historic feat. All of a sudden, the fearmongering and infighting ceased as every Tom, Dick and Harry scrambled for the prized Republican nomination. This was the Republicans' time, nearly two decades of Democratic rule would soon be at an end.

President Gore attempted to pass stimulus packages, but most of them were vetoed. Gore did everything he could to halt the collapse, but the recession worsened heading into 2007 and 2008. The Democrats were doomed, and most high profile Democrats, including Hillary Clinton, Evan Bayh and John Kerry stayed out.

Vice-President John Edwards would be the nominee, but not after a brusing primary fight against upstart Senator Barack Obama that was undecided until the convention. As a display of unity, Senator Obama became Vice-President Edwards' running mate.

With the largest GOP field in several decades, the Republican primaries also descended into brutal civil war that eventually led to popular New York Mayor Rudy Giulani being nominated. Being from the centrist wing of the party, he picked the young conservative Governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee to be his running mate.

Heading into the general election, Giulani had a strong advantage, but Edwards managed to take the lead after a successful Democratic convention. There was hope, a 5th term for the Democrats?

However, poor debate performances and numerous scandals dogged his candidacy and he sinked lower and lower. Even with this, and the poor economy, even Giulani was shocked at the results.

The Clinton/Gore Era was at an end, and Rudy Giulani, hero of 9/11, had triumphantly led the Republicans back into power after 16 years in the wilderness, in the biggest landslide since Reagan...

The End.

IyafaNo.png

I've working on improving my electoral reform proposal map for Spain. Managed to balance the constituencies in both Madrid and Barcelona provinces and I think the new map gives it a more professional, sharp look. Which is what i wanted since I'll probably try to make a blog to explain my ideas about it, anyway.

That looks very smart. And not just because it's a nice break from pages upon pages of similar US stuff.

That looks very smart. And not just because it's a nice break from pages upon pages of similar US stuff.

Thanks! Yeah, that also helps :p But I think that my own project is really similar to what @AndyC once proposed for the UK.

I was just running the numbers again and I realise that both Barcelona II and Sevilla had the same quotient. Turns out somehow, I created two constituencies with the exact same population. BCN II has 1,497,224 people and Sevilla has 1,497,223.

Also I was wondering, maybe you and @Ares96 can solve for me a small ethical dilemma... I created a small constituency for Spaniards living abroad ('extranjero') with 6 seats, but in reality, there are almost 2 million Spaniards registered in the CERA (Electoral census of Spaniards registered abroad), so in reality they qualify for a whooping 20 seats, but turnout is disparagingly low (30% before 2008's electoral law reform, around 5% nowadays), so I was wondering if it'd be appropriate to have such a small number of seats for so many people.

Also I was wondering, maybe you and @Ares96 can solve for me a small ethical dilemma... I created a small constituency for Spaniards living abroad ('extranjero') with 6 seats, but in reality, there are almost 2 million Spaniards registered in the CERA (Electoral census of Spaniards registered abroad), so in reality they qualify for a whooping 20 seats, but turnout is disparagingly low (30% before 2008's electoral law reform, around 5% nowadays), so I was wondering if it'd be appropriate to have such a small number of seats for so many people.

I'd think that's fine, but then I come from a country where the concept of having a constituency for overseas residents seems a bit odd anyway.

I'd think that's fine, but then I come from a country where the concept of having a constituency for overseas residents seems a bit odd anyway.

Well, I was inspired by the fact that Portugal and France and Italy all have them, plus also that it's something that has been discussed lately and would probably make voting from abroad easier.

2012:

genusmap.php

President Rudy Giuilani [R-TX]/Vice-President Mike Huckabee [R-AR] - 374 EV (52.7%)
Senator Hillary Clinton [D-NY]/Senator Evan Bayh [D-IN] - 164 EV (46.6%)

It was finally her turn.

After waiting eight years for Gore to leave office, and another 4 waiting for a more gavourable year, it was finally time. The Clintons would return triumphantly to the oval office, and the Democrats would be in power once again

It was not to be.

After a grueling primary campaign against a large Democratic field, which exposed Hillary Clinton's own weaknesses as a candidate, she was damaged heading into the election. Therefore, she picked former opponent Evan Bayh from Indiana. She made a comeback and heading out of the convention she led by an astounding eight points. However, her scandals and mediocre debating skills came back to haunt her, and with an improving economy, Giuliani pulled off a John Major style upset despite trailing for most of the campaign.

2016:

genusmap.php

Businessman Donald J. Trump [D-NY]/Fmr. Governor Brian Schweitzer [D-MT] - 291 EV (49.5%)

Governor Bill Frist [R-TN]/Senator Jeb Bush [R-FL] - 247 EV (47.6%)

It was a political (albeit friendly) rivalry of two New Yorkers that led to this matchup. Moderate New York businessman Donald J. Trump took the Democratic nomination, hoping to succeed fellow New Yorker Rudy Giulani as President of the United States. The progressive wing were dejected, but the base with thrilled with Trump's populist rhetoric and colourful displays.

His opponent, "low energy" Bill Frist, stood no chance and despite having an experienced ticket in a good year for Republicans, he never quite was able to muster the support Giuliani did.

Trump/Schweitzer retook the northeast, and farm belt and the industrial midwest for the Democrats, as well as making historic breakthroughs in Montana and Virginia. Despite this, the south was finally lost for Democrats, with Frist/Bush edging Trump/Schweitzer in Florida.

Donald J. Trump would be sworn in as the 45th President of the United States.

2020:

genusmap.php

President Donald J. Trump [D-NY]/Vice-President Brian Schweitzer [D-MT] - 404 EV (54.9%)

Senator Jeb Bush [R-FL]/Senator Ted Cruz [R-TX] - 134 EV (44.8%)

2020 was a prosperous time for the United States, the 9/11 attacks were a distant memory, and the Twin Towers still stood strong as ever. The economy had fully recovered from the 2006 crash and President Trump balanced the budget by 2020.

The Republicans nominated Jeb Bush, who made one last attempt to take the big prize for the Bush family after two failed runs in 2008 and as VP in 2016.

It ended up being the strongest Democratic victory since 1964.

As the Trump Presidency entered its 2nd and final term, America had never been stronger, or greater. However, a new era was about to begin. Centrism had dominated the two major parties for a generation, and for all of the 21st century so far. This was about to change.

The End.

Thanks! Yeah, that also helps :p But I think that my own project is really similar to what @AndyC once proposed for the UK.

I was just running the numbers again and I realise that both Barcelona II and Sevilla had the same quotient. Turns out somehow, I created two constituencies with the exact same population. BCN II has 1,497,224 people and Sevilla has 1,497,223.

Also I was wondering, maybe you and Ares96 can solve for me a small ethical dilemma... I created a small constituency for Spaniards living abroad ('extranjero') with 6 seats, but in reality, there are almost 2 million Spaniards registered in the CERA (Electoral census of Spaniards registered abroad), so in reality they qualify for a whooping 20 seats, but turnout is disparagingly low (30% before 2008's electoral law reform, around 5% nowadays), so I was wondering if it'd be appropriate to have such a small number of seats for so many people.

Do you plan on including any levelling seats?

Do you plan on including any levelling seats?

Yeah, 40. I didn't include them because 1) I'm not sure how to distribute if all at once or like it's done in Sweden (in which I'd need 42 seats) and 2) because it would just look like a big chunk of seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.