Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus... Also, I see someone's been prepping for his TL by looking into bygone constitutional arrangements :p

Actually I knew most of this before, and gleaned the specifics of the 1860 situation off Wikipedia. What can I say, American constitutional law is fun and riding the train isn't.

Thande

Donor
No, that provision was only passed in 1886. At this point it'd be the President pro tempore of the Senate, who during the 1860 session (we can't use the 1861 session for these purposes as it opened after the southern Senators had been expelled for treason) was Benjamin Fitzpatrick, a Democrat from Alabama.
Thanks - I always forget something with how complicated the US succession has been over time...

Thanks - I always forget something with how complicated the US succession has been over time...

Haven't they only been changed a few times total over 250 years? The 1792, 1886, and 1947 Acts moved some things around; the Twenty-Fifth Amendment in 1967 added in some clauses; plus the removal of the Postmaster General and the addition of the Secretary of Homeland Security to the mix. It's relatively simple to keep track of things if you know when the crisis's are going to strike.

Haven't they only been changed a few times total over 250 years? The 1792, 1886, and 1947 Acts moved some things around; the Twenty-Fifth Amendment in 1967 added in some clauses; plus the removal of the Postmaster General and the addition of the Secretary of Homeland Security to the mix. It's relatively simple to keep track of things if you know when the crisis's are going to strike.
It's also a lot of fun because you can really impress people even thought it's not all that complicated. It's stupid as heck, no doubt about that, but it's not too complicated.

Thande

Donor
It's complicated when you're from a country whose approach to succession is "er...we've not really bothered thinking about that...can't you just have another election or something?"

It's complicated when you're from a country whose approach to succession is "er...we've not really bothered thinking about that...can't you just have another election or something?"

We have to put so much energy into worrying about the succession of our largely ceremonial monarchy.

I mean, succession to the premiership is really very simple - the monarch chooses whomever they want. It's when you try to bring democratic accountability into the picture that the system breaks down.

Thande

Donor
I mean, succession to the premiership is really very simple - the monarch chooses whomever they want. It's when you try to bring democratic accountability into the picture that the system breaks down.
I'm not sure if the US can ever have been said to have democratic accountability once the succession goes beyond the VP - you're ultimately going to go to someone who owes their new national position to either being appointed by the last president (who everyone may have just violently voted against their record) or nowadays a few thousand voters in Delaware or whatever. (Or in the case of many Representatives whose seats are unopposed, nobody).

I'm not sure if the US can ever have been said to have democratic accountability once the succession goes beyond the VP - you're ultimately going to go to someone who owes their new national position to either being appointed by the last president (who everyone may have just violently voted against their record) or nowadays a few thousand voters in Delaware or whatever. (Or in the case of many Representatives whose seats are unopposed, nobody).

The least democratic version of them ascending to power would be: unopposed in primary and general election for Representative every two years for a couple decades. Unopposed as they are elected to each rung of the House Leadership. House declared them Speaker viva voce. President and Vice-President are both assassined directly after they are sworn in. President for four years without anyone having ever opposed them.

The least democratic version of them ascending to power would be: unopposed in primary and general election for Representative every two years for a couple decades. Unopposed as they are elected to each rung of the House Leadership. House declared them Speaker viva voce. President and Vice-President are both assassined directly after they are sworn in. President for four years without anyone having ever opposed them.
"President forms Unity Party, gets the endorsement of GOP and Democrats after two unopposed primaries."

"New laws essentially bans third parties, so there's only the big two's choice on the ballot!"

"PRESIDENT ELECTED TO A SECOND TERM IN A LANDSLIDE! (actually with no others on the ballot)"

Your guess is as good as mine. One thing that bears pointing out is that Pennsylvania's Democratic slate was a unity one pledged to whichever Democratic candidate was closest to winning the election, so in a situation like this those electors would probably go to Douglas. New Jersey and New York for their part had anti-Lincoln fusion slates, with some electors pledged to each of Breckinridge, Bell and Douglas, so I imagine Douglas still wouldn't obtain a majority even with Pennsylvania behind him.

If it goes to the House, they'd have Douglas, Breckinridge and Lincoln to choose from, in that order. The 1858 House (which is the one that would make the call, as this is before the 20th Amendment) was dominated by a loose "opposition coalition" of Republicans and the remnant Know-Nothings and Whigs, although of course the state delegations would cast one vote each. We've got 15 delegations each controlled by the Democrats and Republicans, one state (Tennessee) controlled by the southern Opposition (i.e. former Whigs; John Bell being from Tennessee probably has something to do with this) and two deadlocked States (Kentucky and Maryland). Given these numbers, it all comes down to who can win over the southern Opposition members, who control Tennessee as well as the vote balance in the two deadlocked states. I think Douglas is the only candidate who can do this, although obviously he's got his own difficulty winning over the Southern Democrats who walked out of his convention. The fact that Breckinridge was from Kentucky could complicate matters further.

The Senate would elect the VP, and here the Democrats have a solid majority. They face a choice between a Deep Southerner and the king of the doughfaces, which I'm sure will give Senate Republicans no end of joy, particularly so if the House takes time to choose a President (as they would).
If this looks bad, take a look at the 1854 congressional elections and imagine if 1856 had been a hung EC...

Chicxulub

Banned
upload_2016-8-15_20-12-28.png

Hillary Clinton / Tim Kaine - 27.39% (272) Democratic
Ted Cruz / Carly Fiorina - 14.16% (93) Conservative
Donald Trump / Mike Pence - 22.67% (76) American
Bernie Sanders / Elizabeth Warren - 21.43% (70) Progressive
Marco Rubio / John Kasich - 13.05% (27) Republican

Last edited:
If this looks bad, take a look at the 1854 congressional elections and imagine if 1856 had been a hung EC...
Increasing the American popular vote by 5% at the expense of the Democrats leads to this:
62yeITd.png

Democrats - 124 EVs - 40.3%
Republicans - 125 EVs - 33.1%
Know Nothings - 47 EVs - 26.1%

After this, I assume after a couple of ballots Millard Fillmore is elected president by a coalition of Know Nothings, more moderate Democrats, and some Whigs. More conservative Democrats and the Republicans of course object however. John C. Breckinridge is elected by the Democrat senate easily. 1860 after this would be very interesting.

Last edited:
Increasing the American popular vote by 5% at the expense of the Democrats leads to this:

After this, I assume after a couple of ballots Millard Fillmore is elected president by a coalition of Know Nothings, Democrats, and Whigs. More conservative Democrats and the Republicans of course object however. John C. Breckinridge is elected by the Democrat senate easily. 1860 after this would be very interesting.
Millard Fillmore: the president nobody wanted, himself included.

Democrats - 124 EVs - 40.3%
Republicans - 125 EVs - 33.1%
Know Nothings - 47 EVs - 26.1%

After this, I assume after a couple of ballots Millard Fillmore is elected president by a coalition of Know Nothings, Democrats, and Whigs. More conservative Democrats and the Republicans of course object however. John C. Breckinridge is elected by the Democrat senate easily. 1860 after this would be very interesting.
I don't know about that. The Southerners really didn't like Fillmore. They were the reason after all that Fillmore wasn't nominated in 1852.

A tie in the popular vote:
genusmap.php

Democratic: Hillary Clinton (NY)/Tim Kaine (VA) - 33.33%, 259 EVs
Republican: Donald Trump (NY)/Mike Pence (IN) - 33.33%, 242 EVs
Libertarian: Gary Johnson (NM)/Bill Weld (MA) - 33.33%, 37 EVs

Status
Not open for further replies.