Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 House elections if all votes for a Republican or Democratic ticket were disqualified.

The only thing I have to add is that New Jersey is the place to be.

Were Vacant counted as a party in its own right, and looking soley at the numbers, this feels like it would be the result of some kind of bad Proportional Representation America. Or a country with PR grafted onto America.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, 2008 is much less exciting. :(

genusmap.php

Ralph Nader (I-CT)/Matt Gonzalez (I-CA) - 424 EV, 0.56% PV
Bob Barr (L-GA)/Wayne Allyn Root (L-NV) - 93 EV, 0.40% PV
Cynthia McKinney (G-FL)/Rosa Clemente (G-NC) - 9 EV, 0.12% PV
Chuck Baldwin (C-FL)/Darrell Castle (C-TN) - 5 EV, 0.15% PV
Unpledged - 7 EV

2012 will likely be even less exciting, but I'll do it anyway.
I've done this map before and it looked quite different... For example Ron Paul got the most votes in both Montana and Louisiana.

Thande

Donor
Were Vacant counted as a party in its own right, and looking soley at the numbers, this feels like it would be the result of some kind of bad Proportional Representation America. Or a country with PR grafted onto America.
Not necessarily, it reminds me of Ares' maps of pre-WW1 Germany, which had two-round FPTP but had loads of tiny parties including weird single issue ones.

Thande

Donor
Funny thing, I'd been imagining an alternate American political system that uses two-round voting just today.

Also, any idea as to how a version of FPTP allowed for so many minor parties?
I'm not the expert on Imperial Germany but it happens quite a lot - in fact in some ways it's easier to get minor parties under FPTP than under PR, because under FPTP if you've got one bloke who's really popular in a small area and comes with his own party, he can win that seat regardless, whereas under PR you generally need to get 3% or 5% or whatever nationwide to get into parliament. It's pretty hard under PR to get twenty parties with one seat each, but relatively easy under FPTP.

For example, in the UK for about twenty years part of Liverpool was represented in Parliament by an Irish Nationalist (even after Ireland had separated).

Funny thing, I'd been imagining an alternate American political system that uses two-round voting just today.

Also, any idea as to how a version of FPTP allowed for so many minor parties?

The idea that FPTP inevitably leads to a two-party system, like quite a lot of political science theories, is a) excessively centred on the American example, and b) complete and utter bollocks. If we look around the world, there are lots of examples of countries with both FPTP and multi-party systems, usually due to different regions voting for different parties (India is the main example of this, being essentially an entire subcontinent under a single legislature).

Thande

Donor
I'm not sure what you're talking about... Ron Paul didn't run in 2008.
No, but the Constitution Party in Montana put him on the ballot anyway, and despite him telling people not to vote for him, he still got something like 2.5% and did better than most third party US candidates do when they're trying.

I'm not the expert on Imperial Germany but it happens quite a lot - in fact in some ways it's easier to get minor parties under FPTP than under PR, because under FPTP if you've got one bloke who's really popular in a small area and comes with his own party, he can win that seat regardless, whereas under PR you generally need to get 3% or 5% or whatever nationwide to get into parliament. It's pretty hard under PR to get twenty parties with one seat each, but relatively easy under FPTP.

For example, in the UK for about twenty years part of Liverpool was represented in Parliament by an Irish Nationalist (even after Ireland had separated).

I understand.

The idea that FPTP inevitably leads to a two-party system, like quite a lot of political science theories, is a) excessively centred on the American example, and b) complete and utter bollocks. If we look around the world, there are lots of examples of countries with both FPTP and multi-party systems, usually due to different regions voting for different parties (India is the main example of this, being essentially an entire subcontinent under a single legislature).

Oh, believe me, I know — I'm Canadian:rolleyes:
But Canada, of course, is peanuts compared to the multi-partisan madness of the Indian Lok Sabha, which is highly unproportional, but has nearly 40 represented parties at the moment.

DUVERGER LITERALLY INCLUDED RUNOFFS WITH PR NOT FPTP!
He also made clear it was more in the sense of a tendency than an iron rule, which I think is more or less right.

DUVERGER LITERALLY INCLUDED RUNOFFS WITH PR NOT FPTP!
He also made clear it was more in the sense of a tendency than an iron rule, which I think is more or less right.

Really? Runoffs, though better than FPTP, aren't necessarily proportional.
But yes, Duverger's Law is less of a law and more of a tendency. Only the US, Malta, and some small Caribbean nations have 100% two-party systems.

Thande

Donor
Duverger's Law seems more to describe a situation where you're talking about one individual seat than about a legislature in general. It is the case that in an individual FPTP seat there tends to be a movement towards the top two parties, but nothing says it has to be the same top two parties in different seats.

Really? Runoffs, though better than FPTP, aren't necessarily proportional.
But yes, Duverger's Law is less of a law and more of a tendency. Only the US, Malta, and some small Caribbean nations have 100% two-party systems.
In the sense of leading to multi-party systems I mean.
I think another tendency, which Duverger overlooked (or at least paid less attention to, IIRC he may have mentioned it), is that in this instance, causation runs both ways.

Duverger's Law seems more to describe a situation where you're talking about one individual seat than about a legislature in general. It is the case that in an individual FPTP seat there tends to be a movement towards the top two parties, but nothing says it has to be the same top two parties in different seats.
Well, Duverger expected parties to merge, which strikes me as right based on the evidence he had at the time - more recently one could cite the Lib Dems as an example and indeed India's large pacts as related.
I think there is a tendency in that direction with voters as well - ISTR hearing from Canadians about there having been cases of people voting Liberal in Tory-NDP marginals to "keep the Tories out" (and thus helping them make gains from the Dippers) for instance. I think being big nationally makes you harder to squeeze locally, even if it doesn't make it easier to squeeze others.

Indeed he did not but that didn't stop him from being nominated in both Montana and Louisiana and receiving the third most votes in each state.

Ah. I was not aware of this, and it isn't listed on Wikipedia (and besides, I do prefer to keep it to people that actually ran voluntarily :p)

I understand.

Oh, believe me, I know — I'm Canadian:rolleyes:
But Canada, of course, is peanuts compared to the multi-partisan madness of the Indian Lok Sabha, which is highly unproportional, but has nearly 40 represented parties at the moment.

Malaysia's an interesting case in that there are either 4 parties represented or about 20 depending on if you consider the National Front an alliance of separate parties or a party with lots of differently named branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.