Alternate Electoral Maps III

4AH0Lus.png

Last edited:
1659473214223.png

1896: Reed/Hay (Republican) 294 EVs, 44.1%, Palmer/Vilas (Democratic) 83 EVs, 28.2%, Bryan/Field (Populist) 70 EVs, 26.4%

As President, Palmer would be beset by financial problems from almost the beginning of his term. The Panic of 1893 and the economic recession it brought about came into sharp focus shortly after Palmer assumed office, and the ways he responded to it caused significant conflict within the Democratic Party and exacerbated the division between the pro-gold and pro-silver wings.

Palmer held true to the gold standard and convinced Congress to repeal the Sherman Silver Purchase Act, which he believed was responsible for the crisis, as well as responding to actions like strikes by seeking to break them, but this angered the pro-silver Democrats and exacerbated support for the Populists respectively. More importantly, it had little effect on the crash and so led the public to doubt Palmer’s leadership.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the 1896 Democratic convention was a deeply contentious one. Silverites tried to adopt a ticket which heeded their own interests and put forward an alternative dark horse candidate for the presidency- former Congressman William Jennings Bryan of Nebraska. Bryan gave an extremely well-received speech in which he condemned the rich for seeking to ‘crucify mankind upon a cross of gold’ and advocated for dramatic monetary reform to alleviate the effects of the depression. The convention heads eschewed him, renominating Palmer instead, but this led many of the silverite delegates to bolt from the convention.

The massive surge of attention achieved by Bryan gave him considerable political capital, and he and his supporters allied with the Populists to present him as that party’s nominee. His running mate was an odd choice- James G. Field of Virginia, a former Confederate who had turned to championing Populism late in life and, it was hoped, could help to prise away some of the Southern states from the Democrats.

Due to Vice-President Bland choosing to stand down over the silver issue, Palmer replaced him with former Governor of Massachusetts William Russell. At 39, he was that state’s youngest-ever Governor and was seen as potentially able to revitalise the flagging Democratic campaign. However, he died suddenly in July 1896 and Palmer was forced to replace him. His choice was Wisconsin Senator William Vilas, another supporter of his wing of the party.

With the Democrats splitting in an almost certainly fatal manner, the Republican nomination also proved to be hard-fought. William McKinley sought it with the steadfast support and funding of Mark Hanna, a wealthy Ohio businessman, but his utter refusal to compromise on bimetallism and the defeat he had suffered in the last election allowed Speaker of the House Thomas B. Reed of Maine to overcome him in an upset. He selected as his running mate John Hay, who had been Secretary of State under Robert Lincoln and a close ally of Abraham. Hay was considered a particularly shrewd state as, as a native of Illinois, he robbed Palmer of his home state advantage in that crucial state.

The mass exodus of the pro-silver Democrats to the Populist ticket was disastrous for the party. While most of the South stayed in Palmer’s court due to deep-seated distrust of the Republicans and most of their delegations staying loyal to the Democratic ticket, Bryan and his supporters made much of the fact that their vote had come so close to surpassing Palmer’s and claimed their showing showed the Democratic ticket must heed the advocates of free silver in future.

But what mattered was that Reed was in power, by what his opponents called a ‘psuedo-landslide’. By this they meant he had outstripped his opponents as separate parties, but this did not translate to a wholehearted embrace of Republicanism. Indeed, after coming to power Reed would be faced with a similar split within his own party to that which had destroyed the Palmer presidency.

Huey Long Lives On: Part 4

1948 Election
D53B70BE-1430-408E-96D5-EB0A7D0C397E.jpeg

Notes:
1. Burton K. Wheeler was Huey Long’s Vice President
2. Huey Long was Assassinated in early-mid 1948 leaving Burton K. Wheeler as the Democratic Nominee
3. James S. Thurmond forms a third party for much the same reasons in OTL
4. James S. Thurmond gained 1 electoral vote from Tennessee

Preview of the next chapter of my TL (link in signature). 1876, Grant (who was first elected in 1872) does not run for a second term. Charles Frances Adams (his secretary of state) wins the Republican nomination instead. Horace Maynard, former speaker of the House for the Union Party (which replaced the Democrats ITTL) wins the nomination for that party. The VP slots of both tickets are a repeat of OTL's 1876 election. And TTL's election goes smoother than OTL's 1876.
Electoral Map 1876 WTLB.png

I got round to making a sequel to the D'Hondt method PR Netherlands map I did for 2021. I wanted to do a more traditional election with that method, so here's one based on the 2012 election results (featuring an awful new user watermark, hooray!).

1663008559244.png

I think this is a bit more indicative of why I'm doing this compared to the 2021 map because it creates a very different, and much more majoritarian (at least by Dutch standards), parliamentary makeup. Most of the very minor parties except the CU and all the testimonial parties except the SGP crash out of Parliament while the VVD and PvdA take almost two-thirds of the seats between them on about 51% of the vote. Well, assuming I didn't get the PR calculations wrong again.

The Yellowhammer and The Pelican: Part One

1972:
1663111529276.png

After Richard Nixon was assassinated by Arthur Bremer on April 13, 1972 in Ottawa, Canada , Spiro Agnew was suddenly thrust into the role of America's 38th president. The colorful, conservative Agnew positioned himself as the unlikely figure for Americas to rally around after the second presidential murder in the span of nine years. He selected rising star Michigan senator Robert P. Griffin to serve as his vice president.

Meanwhile the Democratic Convention proved to be as hectic an affair as in 68, another portrait of a party in disarray. George Wallace narrowly won the nomination, beating out a myriad of Northern liberals, leading to riots and walkouts outside of the Miami Beach convention center. Wallace selected Speedy Long, the scion of the famous Louisiana family as his running mate. Long, who had successfully primaried his own cousin out of Congress in 1964 for being pro-civil rights, stood well for the Wallacean plank of economic working class populism and white resentment to the "chaos and crime" that the Civil Rights movement had brought upon the country.

Most liberals where dissatisfied with both tickets, but decided that Agnew would be better than Wallace, "the lesser of two evils". However, October brought scandal after it was exposed that Agnew was being investigated by the FBI over alleged crimes committed as governor of Maryland. The news shocked the nation, and left many staying at home on Election Day. This allowed the ever contentious, firebrand Wallace to eke out a victory. While the West Coast and Northeast went solidly for Agnew, Wallace's popularity among the right ensured him the keys to the Oval Office. The Wallace campaign, despite a lack of support from their own party, played up the corruption charges against Agnew alongside his "untrustworthy, foreign nature", a dig at his Greek ancestry.

Many Americans watched in utter bewilderment. How could the Democratic Party go from Humphrey to Wallace, near polar opposites. The "Old Dixie" guard had hijacked the party, and they weren't going to let go anytime soon.

Democrat: George Wallace (AL) / Speedy Long (LA): 270 ECV
Republican: Spiro Agnew (MD) / Robert P. Griffin (MI): 268 ECV

1976:
1663112741900.png

The more contentious and radical aspects of the Wallace agenda where thankfully shot down by either a stonewalling Congress or the courts. The escalation in Vietnam continued to anger the public who where sick of America's bloody "forever war" occurring halfway across the globe. The seemingly unending conflict continued to bring the anti-war movement to the forefront of the public conversation, every blunder continuing to hurt Wallace's already fragile image. Republicans and progressive Democrats alike venomously hated the man.

In 1973, a group of prominent leftwing Democrats, including Mike Gravel, Dave Obey, Patsy Mink, Barbara Jordan, and Patricia Schroeder, exited the party in protest of Wallace's policies. Forming the Progressive Party, they aimed to provide a voice to those unrepresented by both major parties, with working class and social justice issues pushed heavily. The Progressives where the biggest congressional thorn in Wallace's side, and their popularity lead to many independents and third party voters joining them.

Come 1976, Wallace did not have much to show for in the way of accomplishments. The Republicans nominated Tennessee Senator Howard Baker, who beat out Bob Dole, John Connally, Nelson Rockefeller, and Edward Brooke in the primaries. Ronald Reagan, the conservative's champion, declined to run, reportedly because he thought that Wallace wasn't as much of a paper tiger as he appeared. Baker picked George W. Romney, who had served as governor of Michigan and later as Nixon's Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, as his running mate. The Progressives did not run a presidential ticket that year, preferring to gear up to 1980. They instead offered the lightest of support to Baker.

Republicans had a strong untied force in their campaign. Meanwhile many remaining Democrats still continued to criticize Wallace and outright encouraged their constituents not to gift him with a second term. The party still fractured and furious, it was little surprise that Baker would be the victor.

Republican: Howard Baker (TN) / George Romney (MI): 381 ECV
Democrat: George Wallace (AL) / Speedy Long (LA): 157 ECV

1980:
1663113216151.png

The 70s proved themselves to be a tumultuous decade, from the violent end of the Nixon years, to the Agnew scandals, to Wallace's contentious conservative term in office, to the problems that Baker had to deal with. Finally pulling out of Vietnam in 1977, Baker was tasked with handling the Iranian crisis, including a deadly hostage situation, the Soviet-Afghan war, and the worst economic crisis in decades. With inflation out of control, Baker failed to prove himself to be the man of the hour.

Speedy Long, seeing himself as the rightful heir to both his family dynasty and the Democratic Party, easily won the Democratic nomination to minimal opposition. He picked elder statesman Robert Byrd of West Virginia, reinforcing the increasingly rightist bend of the party. For the Progressives, their ticket consisted of Representative Patsy Mink, the first female and first Asian-American on a major ticket, and novelist Kurt Vonnegut. The latter caused some debate with some accusing Mink of picking a "celebrity running mate". Nonetheless, he proved to be a good orator.

Both Long and Mink attacked Baker on his inability to improve the economy and international affairs. Despite Long being painted as crazed demagogue conservative, a man who would gladly backstab his own family in the mad pursuit of power, he handily won the election. In the 1930s, many assumed that his martyred cousin Huey Long would one day be in the White House, the unexpected ascent of the lesser Long would prove to be one of the most consequential events in 20th century American history.

Democrat: Speedy Long (LA) / Robert Byrd (WV): 306 ECV
Republican: Howard Baker (TN) / George Romney (MI): 225 ECV
Progressive: Pasty Mink (HI) / Kurt Vonnegut (NY): 7 ECV

Last edited:
final election results.png

After the meteor struck Lincon, NH, in June 6, blowing a crater almost 2 miles wide out of New Hampshire, there were some changes in the way people voted in November.
President Grant displayed decisive leadership, and also remembered his oath. In the aftermath of the disaster, he started cleaning house. When Hayes, supported by Grant, got New York, OTL's disputed electoral votes were irrelevant.Reach For the Skies
(The meteor didn't change the climate, cause a volcanic winter; it wasn't tht big--but it was heard as far away as New York.)
It's complicated; I don't want to derail this thread with details about one election, but you can find the details on Reach for the Skies if interested.

1984:

1663275026515.png

Democrat: Speedy Long (LA) / Robert Byrd (WV): 272 ECV
Republican: Charles Mathias (MD) / Mark Hatfield (OR): 202 ECV
Progressive: Dave Obey (WI) / Barbara Jordan (TX): 64 ECV

1988:

1663224659577.png

Republican: John Chafee (RI) / Pete McCloskey (CA): 277 ECV
Progressive: John Rensenbrink (ME) / Patricia Schroeder (CO): 151 ECV
Democrat: Andy Ireland (FL) / Bob Stump (AZ): 110 ECV

1992:

1663275097050.png

Progressive: Harvey Gantt (NC) / Mike Gravel (AK): 310 ECV
Republican: John Chafee (RI) / Pete McCloskey (CA): 144 ECV
Democrat: Larry McDonald (GA) / Phil Gramm (TX): 84 ECV

Edit: Changed 1992 Progressive ticket from Schroeder/Gravel to Gnatt/Gravel

Last edited:
Here's another 'D'Hondt PR replacing national list PR' election, using probably the next best-known country after the Netherlands that uses the latter system in OTL, Israel. Specifically the 2009 election, because that's the most recent one I found results by subdistrict for in English. :p

1663608509141.png

Making this map was a bit of an endeavour- I basically did a lot of messing around with the subdivision basemap from Wikipedia and eyeballed the Dan North, Dan South and Haiha-Carmel boundaries using some maps from Electoral Geography. The votes from the West Bank and Golan Heights are included in the voting, but their geographic areas aren't, mostly because the aforementioned basemap didn't include the former region and it was easier to lop out the Golan subdistrict than draw in the West Bank. I don't know if anyone will want to use it for anything, but if so feel free to!

Anyway, results-wise this is of course a more majoritarian result, though interestingly every party represented in the OTL Knesset still wins at least one seat except Jewish Home. The coalitions don't change that much overall, so I suspect the government formation wouldn't have been too different. Also, apologies for any errors in the Hebrew (it was a Google Translate/copy-paste the names from Wikipedia job), and I know white and grey are very awkward colours to use for Kadima, but with Labor taking red and three different right-wing parties taking various shades of blue, it seemed like the white route of party colours would make an okay alternative.

The Lesser of Two Evils: A 2024 Thought Experiment
Basically, this is a thought experiment I've had in my head for a bit: if the two most talked about third parties (People's Party and Forward) competed against each other in the upcoming 2024 election. Trying to find a nominee for the People's Party was a challenge until the founder of the party, Nick Brana, put out this bulletin on the website endorsing Jimmy Dore for the nomination. For Forward, I've tossed between Governor Jesse Ventura, who is tossing around the idea of running for President yet again, or with the party's founder Andrew Yang. I ultimately went with Yang because Ventura would probably earn the People's Party nomination alongside Forward because, as the kids say, "populism go brrrrr." As for VPs, I think Dore has a few options. I went with Nina Turner because of the People's Party's progressive tint and she notably spoke at the Party's sponsored event, the People's Convention, two summers ago. For the Forward VP nom, I chose Joe Walsh just to really cement Forward's message as the new amalgamation of everybody both opposed to Trump and to everything left of center.

View attachment 776548
Forward Founder Andrew Yang (F-NY)/Former Congressman Joe Walsh (F-IL) - 305
Commentator Jimmy Dore (P-CA)/Former State Representative Nina Turner (P-OH) - 236
-
Now, given that there wasn't a pro-Trump candidate on the list, I decided to add one to make this timeline just oh so much more... fun. After all, the Patriot Party was a thing which was almost gonna happen in 2021. I chose Trump Jr. purely for hypothetical reasons (and maybe because of the excellent timeline For One Man by @Virgil Kalimir) and for his running mate I chose congresswoman Julia Letlow.
-
View attachment 776553
Commentator Jimmy Dore (P-CA)/Former State Representative Nina Turner (P-OH) - 222
Forward Founder Andrew Yang (F-NY)/Former Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh (F-IL) - 197
Businessman Donald Trump Jr. (Pat-NY)/Congresswoman Julia Letlow (Pat-LA) - 119
Have fun in the Congressional election you three
Uh, @Mr. Havana , with Donald Trump and Andrew Yang among others being mention here, I think these maps technically classify as "current politics". The current politics map thread is probably a better spot for these.