Alternate Electoral Maps III

Argentina has provinces, sorry that I had to say that.

Yeah it's really stupid that it does that. This also occurs I believe in Mexico and Argentina to a much lesser extent.

Mhm. In Mexico I know it's a lower limit of two electoral districts per province and, after further research because I know little of Argentine politics, Argentina is just weird.
It has one deputy for every 161,000 people according to the census of 1980, plus an extra three per province just for kicks, and then rounded up to five because why not.

And Canada has the Grandfather Clause, which limits the number of MPs per province to whatever number that province had in 1985.

Apportionment to national legislatures gets weird.

Mhm. In Mexico I know it's a lower limit of two electoral districts per province and, after further research because I know little of Argentine politics, Argentina is just weird.
It has one deputy for every 161,000 people according to the census of 1980, plus an extra three per province just for kicks, and then rounded up to five because why not.

And Canada has the Grandfather Clause, which limits the number of MPs per province to whatever number that province had in 1985.

Apportionment to national legislatures gets weird.
In Denmark we give Bornholm (island) 2 MPs instead of 1. But what's really dumb is that (constitutionally) apportionment is partly based on surface area. Of course this doesn't really matter, since we have leveling seats based on the overall popular vote.

In Denmark we give Bornholm (island) 2 MPs instead of 1. But what's really dumb is that (constitutionally) apportionment is partly based on surface area. Of course this doesn't really matter, since we have leveling seats based on the overall popular vote.

Norway is the same as far as I know, the number of seats for each county is based on a formula factoring in population and area.

Map of my monarchist Switzerland (base map by wikipedia user Tschubby, with modifications by me to adjust cantonal borders); the individual MP icons came off the AltHist wiki (specifically a set of maps from the Isle of Man?) and I didn't see a proper attribution listed for them there, so if they're yours, please let me know so I can give you proper credit both here and when I put up the full timeline post!

Radically different politics for this one, as one might expect with a Renaissance POD forthcoming, with a (very narrow) majority for a unionist hybrid of OTL's People's Party and the traditionally dominant Free Democrats/Liberals (blue; ice/cornflower blue are regionalists who share the party list), and opposition forces of the Social Democrats (red), Party of the Christian Centre (yellow/beige), Green Left (dark green), Green Right (mint green), and Nationalist Union (maroon).

Still working out the backstory for the full timeline but did want to post the map!

GXs49XO.png

Last edited:
. . .the individual MP icons came off the AltHist wiki (specifically a set of maps from the Isle of Man?) and I didn't see a proper attribution listed for them there, so if they're yours, please let me know so I can give you proper credit both here and when I put up the full timeline post!

By all accounts, the Little Mans here are basically the site standard for MP iconography, but if you want to credit someone, I think @Nugax made them. You might also want to add a key.

Hey guys, how can I make US electoral maps with alternative states? It's not something complicated, just want to add Puerto Rico and DC as states.

Use a 1964 or later wikipedia basemap such as this one which will give you DC and its 3 electoral votes. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Electoral_College_2016.svg#mw-jump-to-license

Then download this .svg, crop and paste Puerto Rico into the first file, and add and change EVs as needed. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blank_USA,_w_territories.svg

I would personally reccomend inkscape for electoral map editing, but other programs that can edit .svg files presumably should work too.

Basically Jerry Brown doesn't run for Senate in 1982. Instead he decides to take another shot at the presidency, stealing many delegates from Gary Hart in the process.

TJzFM6u.png

Use a 1964 or later wikipedia basemap such as this one which will give you DC and its 3 electoral votes. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Electoral_College_2016.svg#mw-jump-to-license

Then download this .svg, crop and paste Puerto Rico into the first file, and add and change EVs as needed. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blank_USA,_w_territories.svg

I would personally reccomend inkscape for electoral map editing, but other programs that can edit .svg files presumably should work too.
What font should I use?

M50xfUs.png

This is 1976 with the state margins of 1936. I just randomly swung Alaska and Hawaii so they were in line with the national results, since they obviously weren't states in 1936. Interestingly, Carter gets more support in most rural areas than FDR did in OTL 1936, particularly in ancestrally GOP rural areas in the South and Appalachia. Carter wins every county in 25 states, while Ford only wins 265 counties in the entire country. with population growth and black voters not being disenfranchised as they were in 1936, I'd imagine the PV would be even more lopsided than it actually was in 1936.

M50xfUs.png

This is 1976 with the state margins of 1936. I just randomly swung Alaska and Hawaii so they were in line with the national results, since they obviously weren't states in 1936. Interestingly, Carter gets more support in most rural areas than FDR did in OTL 1936, particularly in ancestrally GOP rural areas in the South and Appalachia. Carter wins every county in 25 states, while Ford only wins 265 counties in the entire country. with population growth and black voters not being disenfranchised as they were in 1936, I'd imagine the PV would be even more lopsided than it actually was in 1936.

I imagine Carter gets upwards of 110% of the PV in his native Georgia

M50xfUs.png

Lol at Ford still winning every county in Vermont

Map of my monarchist Switzerland (base map by wikipedia user Tschubby, with modifications by me to adjust cantonal borders); the individual MP icons came off the AltHist wiki (specifically a set of maps from the Isle of Man?) and I didn't see a proper attribution listed for them there, so if they're yours, please let me know so I can give you proper credit both here and when I put up the full timeline post!

If it's the Isle of Man, I'd be amazed if anyone other than me has done one, but I got the format from Thande, but the Little Mans are a mix of him and Uhura's Mazda at the very least and we grabbed a load of stuff from David Boothroyd on the VoteUK forum and stuff from the US Election Atlas forum.