Alternate Electoral Maps III

No, but another Virginian is at the top of the ticket.

Yes, he's the running mate. why do you think the Republican candidate did so poorly overall though?
Hmm looking at some for the other places where Democrats are doing great like the Midwest, some kinda major economic crises and or war didn’t go well?

2018 Louisianan Presidential Election
2018 Presidential Election.png

First Round

2018 Presidential Election Run Off.png
Run Off

The 2018 Louisiana Presidential Election was held to elect the President of Louisiana from November 4—6, 2018. Incumbent President Louis Bel Édouard of the Labor Party had become rather unpopular following the Crisis of Faith and the 2017 Louisianan Economic Crisis. Pierre François Beauregard of the National Party won the election, ushering in the first National presidency since the Bonaparte presidency of the 1980s. He defeated Labor nominee Mitch Landrieu of the Nouvelle-Orleans Federal District and Jean Chenevert of the Republican Party.

Beauregard won a plurality in the first round of the election and a simple majority in the run-off, where support for Landrieu increased significantly but not enough to turn the tide. The run off saw the provinces of La Reunion Federal District and De Tonti flip to Landrieu, while the province of Misuri Nord flipped to Beauregard.

Hmm looking at some for the other places where Democrats are doing great like the Midwest, some kinda major economic crises and or war didn’t go well?
Basically the 2008 financial crisis happens shortly after the 2002 midterms and Bush/Cheney bungle the response to 9/11 thus they go on to lose in a landslide to the Dem ticket of Mark Warner/Jay Rockfeller.

Basically the 2008 financial crisis happens shortly after the 2002 midterms and Bush/Cheney bungle the response to 9/11 thus they go on to lose in a landslide to the Dem ticket of Mark Warner/Jay Rockfeller.
Ok cool! So what states did Bush/Cheney win in this election because seeing how some of the states look on the map I guess the number of red states is in the single digits?

Deleted member 139407

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.27.08 AM.png

2016 Presidential Election:
Evan Bayh (D-IN)/Christine Gregoire (D-WA) - 266 EVs: 46.3%

Top Three Key Issues: $15 minimum wage; Universal Pre-School; campaign finance reform​
Ted Cruz (R-TX)/Jim Gilmore (R-VA) - 266 EVs: 45.9%
Top Three Key Issues: repeal Roe v. Wade; repeal and replace Obamacare; cut corporate red tape​
Jesse Ventura (Ind-MN)/Austin Peteren (L-MO) - 4 EVs: 5.1%
Top Three Key Issues: end the wars in Afghanistan, Syria, and Iraq; pro-Alternative/Green energy; legalize Marijuana for private and public use​
Lawrence Lessig (Ind-MA)/Elijah Manley (Ind-FL) - 1 EV: 0.9%
Top Three Key Issues: Citizen Equality Act; campaign finance reform; voting rights​
Bernie Sanders (Ind-VT)/Elizabeth Warren (Dem-MA) - 1 EV: 0.0%
Did Not Run

Minor notes:
- In this timeline, neither Clinton or Trump don't run for their respective nominations. Evan Bayh is able to be propped up as the Democratic nominee against Bernie and Ted Cruz easily sweeps the Republican field to secure the nomination.​
- This is the second time in history where opposing presidential tickets faced a contingent election. However, with the Jefferson/Burr election in 1800 and the 1836 Vice Presidential election, this is the fourth contingent election in US history.​
- While I do not have it entirely mapped out, I do think Ted Cruz would win this contingent/congressional election making it the fourth time the loser of the popular vote would be elected President.​
- Ventura's candidacy is nominated by the Libertarian Party, and cross-nominated/endorsed by the Reform, and Legalize Marijuana parties.​
- Ventura's best performing state is Alaska followed by his home state of Minnesota.​
- Ventura's electoral votes come from 2 votes in Minnesota, 1 vote in Texas and Maine's 2nd Congressional District.​
- Lessig's single electoral vote comes from Washington.​
- Bernie's single electoral vote comes from Hawaii IOTL.​

Last edited by a moderator:
2008 with the same PV margin as 1936 (AKA what probably would have happened after two terms of Dubya in a world without partisan polarization)

genusmap.php

Barack H. Obama (D-IL)/Joseph R. Biden (D-DE) 61.36% popular vote, 491 electoral votes

John S. McCain (R-AZ)/Sarah L. Palin (R-AK) 37.1% popular vote, 47 electoral votes

I take it the Democrats don’t do that well I. The House or a Senate then?
Would depend on how well they’re able to distance themselves from Wallace. but yes, I imagine it would be a very bad night for Democrats in every respect with George Wallace at the top of the ticket lol

It's been a really long time since I've done a China TL provincial map, but I finally got round to doing the map and research to write up another one! Here's Guangxi.
View attachment 698865

Guangxi, the Chinese province with by far the biggest population of Zhuang, China’s largest ethnic minority group by number (as of 2021 they number 18 million and make up about 32% of Guangxi’s population), has a storied political backdrop heavily influenced by its role in the early republican era. Its initial warlord leaders, the so-called Old Guangxi clique, helped prevent the imperial uprising of Yuan Shikai, but after feuding with Sun Yat-sen was occupied by Cantonese forces and replaced by the New Guangxi clique led by Bai Chongxi and Li Zongren. The New clique proved more successful in war, winning the Yunnan-Guangxi War and making Li a major underling of Sun and then Chiang Kai-shek.

Li was also a fierce anti-communist, playing a prominent role in the Shanghai massacre in 1927 and crushing the Communist-led Baise Uprising in 1929. Ironically, this prompted Bai to become much more progressive, and instigated the Reconstruction of Guangxi during the early to mid-1930s. This would define the nature of the province’s politics for the rest of the authoritarian period- Kuomintang officials, while dominant like just about everywhere else in the nation, were split between the conservative Li faction, led for much of the mid-20th century by Li Pinxian, and the progressive Bai faction, whose leading light after Bai himself died was He Zhuguo.

The province’s fractious Kuomintang would take a bloodier turn after Bai’s death in 1966, as despite being his designated successor, He had been an advocate of peace in the Central Plains War, meaning the conservatives and even some progressives saw him as a stooge of Chiang. Consequently, violent conflict broke out between the pro- and anti-He factions, leading to the Guangxi Massacre in which tens if not hundreds of thousands of people were killed in violent skirmishes, some between civilians and others instigated by troops and secret police to try to quash anti-Chiang dissent.

This conflict allowed He to ascend to co-governor, but the conflicts persisted until at least 1970 due to conflict over Li Pinxian succeeding Li Zongren when the latter died in spring 1969; these conflicts were heavily censored and suppressed by the National Revolutionary Army the whole time, and Beijing turning a blind eye to the conflict for the following 19 years proved integral in the people of Guangxi backing the Tiananmen Square Revolution.

Once the Revolution and the new constitution brought in a new government, Guangxi’s politics has been heavily fractious. One might assume the progressive wing of the Kuomintang would jump ship to, well, the Progressives, but in truth it has retained a foothold in the provincial Kuomintang. Its influence can be seen in things like the province’s fairly strong affirmative action laws, the mixed-member proportional electoral system and the population-based FPTP districts.

The unity behind the wings of the Kuomintang has helped keep it from losing power to the Progressives for much of the province’s democratic history (though it voted in a majority-Progressive National Congress delegation in 2009 and Progressive President Jiang Jielian in 2020), which is perhaps a great surprise given how well the Progressives do with non-Han voters in much of the rest of China.

A major reason for the fractiousness of the province’s politics is of course the racial divide. The Progressives get the vast majority of the Zhuang vote and the left-wing Han vote, the Loyalists do well in Han-majority areas with a sizeable Zhuang population pushing them towards alarmism, the Communists have pockets of support that have been radical since before the party was first crushed, and the Greens have started to make headway in parts of the larger cities like Guillin and Nanning. One local-only feature of the province is the Zhuang National Party (ZNP), which as the name suggests advocates for indigenous rights and nationalism in the province.

The 2021 election was a particularly hard-fought one, as the Kuomintang’s leader Chen Wu had gradually become unpopular since ascending to the Premiership in 2012. Conservatives saw his status as a Zhuang leader as tokenistic and Chen himself as too moderate, and left-wingers were disappointed by his lack of progress in anti-discrimination policies, but his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was particularly harshly viewed, as the province’s non-Han population suffered notably worse rates of infection and deaths than the Han people who live there.

The opposition parties hammered Chen on all this, and while he clawed back ground by attacking Progressive leader Chen Ji Sheng for supposedly being a ‘radical adherent’ of President Jiang rather than a ‘moderating presence’, it wasn’t enough to come ahead of the Progressives in either the FPTP or PR districts.

With a combined 122 seats to 117 for the Kuomintang, Chen Ji Sheng managed to secure the confidence of the province’s legislature and retake control of Guangxi for the Progressives for the first time in 9 years. Whether the more ideological demands of his government’s allies like the Communists, Greens and ZNP will see it fall before 2024 remains to be seen.

Chinese provincial/city council election maps
Beijing
Guangdong
Chongqing
Shaanxi
Inner Mongolia
Shanxi
Sichuan
Tibet
Qinghai
Xinjiang/East Turkestan referendum
Fujian
Hubei
Shanghai (2015)
Hainan
Jiangsu
Jilin
Shanghai (2021)
This is fantastic man, I’ve been going through and reading your China posts. It would be awesome to see this consolidated into a dedicated thread

1642559571572.png

2000 Presidential Election
Sen. Joe Lieberman(Replaced VP Al Gore)/Various 47.9%
Gov. George Bush/Fmr. Sec. of Def. Dick Cheney 48.01%
Results: President Elect Joe Lieberman/Vice President Elect Dick Cheney

Deleted member 139407

2000 Presidential Election
Sen. Joe Lieberman(Replaced VP Al Gore)/Various 47.9%
Gov. George Bush/Fmr. Sec. of Def. Dick Cheney 48.01%
What happened to Gore?

This is fantastic man, I’ve been going through and reading your China posts. It would be awesome to see this consolidated into a dedicated thread
Aww thank you so much! Tbh I've been considering either doing that or consolidating them into a DeviantArt with my other TLs, so if I do that I'll make sure to put it in my sig or the next time I post something from this TL something.

Why would democratic electors pick Cheney for VP in the electoral college? If there was a contingent election and assuming no changes to the senate races the incoming senate would be 50-50, what happened to Al Gore? If he's not there to break a tie then the contingent election is deadlocked.