Alternate Electoral Maps III

Screenshot.png

1976 Presidential Election

George McGovern/Ted Kennedy [D] EC: 305
Gerald Ford/Bob Dole [R] EC: 233

702aeb0aaba9f73271e68335c9e6c61e.png

"Holy shit. We lost the whole of the South."
George McGovern to Ted Kennedy following the election

Not sure how this is likely, but I just wanted to post an interesting take on "what if". The idea is that Humphrey takes the 1972 nomination and loses, but McGovern enters the race once again in 1976 and this time he wins because he isn't fighting with all of the problems that he had in OTL 1972, plus the Republican Party is weakened after Watergate. I didn't calculate the PV, sorry, but as you can see, McGovern barely won - with very tight margins in the states he did - you can imagine that he encountered some problems. Perhaps Southern Democrats (see: Jimmy Carter) decided to oppose him at any point. It's probably why the whole south is Republican.
I don't think Gerald Ford would loose Michigan to McGovern

I don't think Gerald Ford would loose Michigan to McGovern

When I made his I didn't remember that. Well, even if he loses Michigan and Vermont, the Democrats will still win in this scenario. Then there's also the possibility of the Democrats even taking Michigan, however low it is.

genusmap.php

2012 Obama does 20 percent better in the south but Romney does 20 percent better in everywhere but the south. Obama wins but it looks like Romney might get the popular vote

genusmap.php

Herbert Hoover - 347 electoral votes (60.0 percent) / 53.2 percent popular vote
Alfred Smith - 231 electoral votes (40.0 percent) / 45.8 percent popular vote

Despite having heavy prejudice against him for his catholic beliefs, Alfred Smith was able to keep the election down to a relatively close race by bringing down Herbert Hoover for being inexperienced, trying to separate himself from Tammany Hall, and picking a Texas representative for his running mate, who was much more conservative from him, and helped him keep most of the south on track, despite pulling behind at one point

genusmap.php

Herbert Hoover - 347 electoral votes (60.0 percent) / 53.2 percent popular vote
Alfred Smith - 231 electoral votes (40.0 percent) / 45.8 percent popular vote

Despite having heavy prejudice against him for his catholic beliefs, Alfred Smith was able to keep the election down to a relatively close race by bringing down Herbert Hoover for being inexperienced, trying to separate himself from Tammany Hall, and picking a Texas representative for his running mate, who was much more conservative from him, and helped him keep most of the south on track, despite pulling behind at one point

Was Smith's running mate cactus jack?

genusmap.php

These are all the shades that can be used on Dave's Atlas that you can be able to get feasibly get on one map I think. If any shades starting with Texas are duplicates, I apologize for that, but this would indicate that if such a thing happens, '5' is the highest possible option with the exception of '0' for the party and a shade being '1' on the percentages, which just appear white

genusmap.php
"The Clements campaign needed a major burst of wind in its sails to beat the New Deal hegemony. One particularly strong breeze came as oil prices dropped to as low as half of their 1977 levels in 1979, and stayed there through 1980. A consequence both of the removal of price controls on oil and of the Treaty of Muscat, which officially allowed the People's Republic of Arabia unfettered shipping access through the Red Sea and Persian Gulf, the drop in oil prices made regional economies effectively collapse - first in the Gulf Coast, and then in Appalachia as cheaper oil undercut coal. All of this was grist for Clements' arguments that the Democrats had failed Middle America.
"For that reason, President Gore authorized the Agricultural Adjustment Bill, which critics referred to as the 'Kansas-Nebraska Act' for its perceived nature as a buyoff of the Farm Belt. The original bill also included the oil and coal industries, but Gore was convinced by Secretary of State Habib that to do so would only trigger a price war with the Soviet Union that would ultimately leave the United States worse off, and by Chief of Staff James Baker that politically to do so would be too little too late, perceived as 'buying off' the relevant regions without addressing the root problems. Nevertheless, the increase in subsidies for agricultural producers, particularly growers of corn and wheat, was significant - and while it may not have won the Presidency, with Senator Muskie still well ahead even without the states in question, those subsidies lasted well past their purpose."

Edmund Sixtus Muskie (ME-SEN)/Donald Wilbur Stewart (AL-GOV) (DEM)
William Perry Clements (TX-GOV)/William Clifton France (FL-N/A) (IND)
George Herbert Walker Bush (CT-SEN)/Patricia Hatsue Saiki (HI-GOV) (GOP)

I will be working on a comprehensive semi image semi story based timeline for these elections I have been doing lately. I will repost 1924 with story context and a updated map, and then repost 1928 once again, with more context and I might make the map with the shades this time, and then I will be going right towards 1932, which will be the final one which will be virtually identical to real life. Starting in 1936, there will actually be quite a few differences driving the timeline forward. 1924, 1928 and 1932 are just simple map changes and intro stuff

Inspired by the New Amsterdam Movement which is a movement to split New York into three regions, I've changed it into three states. I'm giving New Amsterdam a unicameral legislature like Nebraska just to be special. The scenario is that New York state is split in three during the early seventies. Here is the first assembly election in New Amsterdam in 1970.

1972 Assembly.png

The 1978 Senate election in Mississippi with all of Charles Evers + Thad Cochran's votes combined.

untitled-1.png

Thad Cochran (R) 67.9%, 400,948 votes
Maurice Dantin (D) 31.8%, 187,541 votes