Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something interesting. Following upon the Clinton-Perot and Bush-Perot scenarios that were posted here earlier, here is a map of what the 1912 election would have looked like if all of the people who voted for Theodore Roosevelt (Bull Moose Party) that year went for Woodrow Wilson instead. Wilson would have carried every state in the Union, even the Republican bastions of Maine and Vermont, and would have defeated Taft and Debs 69.24-23.17-5.99% in the popular vote. Because Roosevelt was not on the ballot in Oklahoma, and since Debs got 16% of the vote there, Wilson's plurality win in the state remains unchanged, but he gets an absolute majority in every other state and wins some of them, both North and South, by ridiculous margins.

genusmap.php

Woodrow Wilson/Thomas R. Marshall-69.24%-531 EV
William Howard Taft/Nicholas M. Butler-23.17%-0 EV
Eugene V. Debs/Emil Sedel-5.99%-0 EV

Say what you will about him as a president, but the guy knew how to win an election. I mean, he was the only democrat to win a two way race between 1896 and 1932.

Which states would Clinton win here? The only ones that I could see going Republican for sure are Alaska, Nebraska, and Idaho. Utah and Oklahoma are possibilities (dependent upon the margins in Oklahoma City and Tulsa in the latter).
The only GOP states are Utah, Idaho, and Nebraska.

The only GOP states are Utah, Idaho, and Nebraska.
I was close then. I almost forgot that Jimmy Carter nearly won Oklahoma in 1976, despite losing both Oklahoma and Tulsa Counties, as Clinton would here. I assume that the margins in Anchorage and in Southern Alaska are close enough that Clinton narrowly carries the state. Is that right?

1884, 1888 and 1892 are the same as OTL

1896 in my story

genusmap.php

William McKinley - 226 electoral votes / 49 percent popular vote
William Jennings Bryan - 221 electoral votes / 49 percent popular vote

"The 1880's were arguably the biggest decade in this countries history. Technology started to surge forward. Grover Cleveland was seen as a pioneer to many things we had. We had things like radios, cars, ninety mile per hour trains. It was a huge deal. But party fatigue is a killer. After several years of democrats, a way too young man running, and a bit of the population still relatively upset at the Civil War as well as the previous democrat president, William Jennings Bryan lost an election he should have won. In reality though, it may have been for the best. McKinley was the first president to win the popular and electoral vote, but still win less states. The popular vote was unrealistically close, less than twenty thousand of a difference. Despite the squeaker here, things started to go well for the GOP for the next sixteen years."

Quoted from Todd Robinson during his development of his business in 1972 to show his point of how far the world has innovated

*Technology is more advanced ITTL than OTL, as will be very quickly seen.

I was close then. I almost forgot that Jimmy Carter nearly won Oklahoma in 1976, despite losing both Oklahoma and Tulsa Counties, as Clinton would here. I assume that the margins in Anchorage and in Southern Alaska are close enough that Clinton narrowly carries the state. Is that right?
Indeed, I believe Anchorage is within 2-3%.

1912 in my novel

1900, 1904, and 1908 are the same as OTL

genusmap.php

Woodrow Wilson - 466 electoral votes / 54 percent popular vote
William Taft - 65 electoral votes / 38 percent popular vote
Eugene Dabs - 0 electoral votes / 8 percent popular vote

"This turned out to be arguably the most vital election ever made. Taft campaigned like Roosevelt eight years prior for 'human progressment' while Wilson decided to take advantage of the technological advances in the country to say that he was going to bring the country a hundred years forward. He wins the election in a slaughtering, and after he does so, he does many things in his term that really drove us forward. He started to work on the idea 24 hour energy around the nation, and he also worked on the idea of bringing robotic life forward in the nation, starting production of the beings we would like to call androids. Plus, he eventually really drove in the idea of bringing humans to space to create materials for the country to bring us forward. It was considered extremely radicalist, but in reality, he was just a visionary. Here we are, looking into the idea of time travel and the idea of going into alternate dimensions. Wilson was ahead of his time, and we even saw the first couple of androids created in his term, although it was a hidden project at the time, since people did not know he was trying to be the top country in the world on a technological level when we were too busy fighting the worst war in human history."

Quoted from Todd Robinson as he was discussing with the head of Devin Corporation in 1965 about the idea of if the development of androids should continue, or if the project should be exterminated, along with all the androids around at the time.

*Any connection to a company named Devin Corp is pure conincidential

**This is the first of many hints to a more technologically advanced world in this novel.

1912 in my novel

1900, 1904, and 1908 are the same as OTL

genusmap.php

Woodrow Wilson - 466 electoral votes / 54 percent popular vote
William Taft - 65 electoral votes / 38 percent popular vote
Eugene Dabs - 0 electoral votes / 8 percent popular vote

"This turned out to be arguably the most vital election ever made. Taft campaigned like Roosevelt eight years prior for 'human progressment' while Wilson decided to take advantage of the technological advances in the country to say that he was going to bring the country a hundred years forward. He wins the election in a slaughtering, and after he does so, he does many things in his term that really drove us forward. He started to work on the idea 24 hour energy around the nation, and he also worked on the idea of bringing robotic life forward in the nation, starting production of the beings we would like to call androids. Plus, he eventually really drove in the idea of bringing humans to space to create materials for the country to bring us forward. It was considered extremely radicalist, but in reality, he was just a visionary. Here we are, looking into the idea of time travel and the idea of going into alternate dimensions. Wilson was ahead of his time, and we even saw the first couple of androids created in his term, although it was a hidden project at the time, since people did not know he was trying to be the top country in the world on a technological level when we were too busy fighting the worst war in human history."

Quoted from Todd Robinson as he was discussing with the head of Devin Corporation in 1965 about the idea of if the development of androids should continue, or if the project should be exterminated, along with all the androids around at the time.

*Any connection to a company named Devin Corp is pure conincidential

**This is the first of many hints to a more technologically advanced world in this novel.
Does Taft have a running mate from Wisconsin here?

Does Taft have a running mate from Wisconsin here?

I'm glad you asked.

What I did was add every Roosevelt state to Wilson, and gave every state Taft won second and lost by less than ten percent of the vote to him. Wisconsin barely goes to Taft in this timeline. The main reason I gave every Roosevelt state to Wilson is that there was not a single Roosevelt state where Taft finished second, minus Michigan, and even then he finished with more than ten percent defeat. I considered giving it to Debs, but I decided to just give it to Wilson since I felt it more realistic. New York almost goes Taft, losing it by 2 percent. If he won New York, he would have been over 100 electoral votes. I split Roosevelt's votes up with 12 percent going for Wilson and 15 to Taft, indicating the 38 and 54 margin and all third parties under Debs, indicating the 8

I'm glad you asked.

What I did was add every Roosevelt state to Wilson, and gave every state Taft won second and lost by less than ten percent of the vote to him. Wisconsin barely goes to Taft in this timeline. The main reason I gave every Roosevelt state to Wilson is that there was not a single Roosevelt state where Taft finished second, minus Michigan, and even then he finished with more than ten percent defeat. I considered giving it to Debs, but I decided to just give it to Wilson since I felt it more realistic. New York almost goes Taft, losing it by 2 percent. If he won New York, he would have been over 100 electoral votes. I split Roosevelt's votes up with 12 percent going for Wilson and 15 to Taft, indicating the 38 and 54 margin and all third parties under Debs, indicating the 8

If you have a more correct map that would be more proportionate to what I said above, go ahead and make it and I will place that in instead, and give you credit for it.

Okay, one more post about this subject and then I'm done.

I will say that now that I think about it, I could have LaFollete be his running mate in 1912, and then that could tip Wisconsin to Taft, as well as almost tipping Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan and those states

1924 in my novel

1916 is mostly the same as OTL, but Wilson wins Minnesota and Indiana, for 304 electoral votes. I have no desire to make a map with only two states different lol. Wilson is the first democrat to carry Minnesota at all, and the first to especially carry it twice

1920 is exactly the same as OTL

Anyways, without further ado, here is the 1924 map

genusmap.php

Calvin Coolidge - 317 electoral votes / 34 percent popular vote
John Davis - 148 electoral votes / 30 percent popular vote
Bob "Robert" LaFollette - 114 electoral votes / 36 percent popular vote

"1924 shocked the political establishment. We had the first, and to date only, election in which a third party won the popular vote. Despite that, he had a distant third in the electoral college. This of course made millions of americans angry at the fact that he lost a presidency that they said he should have won. Despite that, he said the electoral college was the system that was in place and there was no point in revoking it just because he personally got cheated. In the end, it was probably for the best, as Bob LaFollette died less than a year later. In his will though, he advocated for the progressive reforms that Wilson advocated for, and he would end up getting his wishes. In 1929, defeated 1928 democrat candidate worked on a building called the LaFollette State Building, and it eventually became the tallest building in the world for a while. Along with that, New York began to advanced, with robotic life form and space ships to the moon began construction afterwards. With a huge surge in New York population, especially in New York City, where the population soon hit 20 million, New York City eventually became a Metropolis and was the inspiration of the 1931 movie by the same name."

Quoted from Todd Robinson as he began his political career with New York City business tycoon Donald Trump in 1986.

*In TTL, LaFollette's biological name is Bob, and his nickname is Robert, so the two are reversed

**The LaFollette State Building is TTL version of the Empire State Building

***Metropolis came 4 years later than it did in real life, mainly after development delays to fit a more advanced and to date New York City

****The 435 representative rule never happens in this time line

1928 and 1932 are the same as OTL

1936 in the story

genusmap.php

Franklin Roosevelt - 383 electoral votes / 42 percent popular vote
Alf Landon - 216 electoral votes / 37 percent popular vote
Huey Long - 39 electoral votes / 21 percent popular vote

"1936 was a strange election because it showed in a way the hypocrisy of the republicans. Huey Long campaigned as a savior of the union when he tried to bring rights to the androids, pointing out how it was the republicans who freed the slaves in the 1860's, but now it was the republicans who used the androids for their work with no pay, basically a different form of slavery. He also pointed out how while the democrats used to be slave owners, he pointed out how they were the ones that created these beings and wished to let them live full lives. That with his message of the idea of the country moving along too fast, he created a message that stuck to the people of plenty of smaller states. Huey Long was the second third party, the first being LaFollette 12 years prior, to win 10 million or more votes, a feat accomplished three times since then. Landon campaigned on the idea of the democrats being wildly erratic and virtually splitting into two sections. The message of the democrats being inconsistent helped flipped several states in his favor despite being seen as a nuthead himself. FDR took credit in the recovering economy as well as the fact that he helped bring the country to a respectable 150 million people, and unemployment being the lowest in 10 plus years. He also took credit in the fact that in many rust belt states, such as Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa along with California and New York, transportation has gotten much better with flying cars now being in construction as well as the fact that trains have now hit 110 miles per hour on transportation. He also brought up the fact that he decreased inflation, and these messages helped him win a relatively decent victory to a second term. In 1937, Long was assassinated by a person claiming him to be a radicalist. In 1938, the first space ship was sent to the moon, to try and bring down some minerals for earth and the united states. Landon never seeked public office again, but is very happy to be the first presidential candidate to reach the age of 110 and is well on his way to being the oldest person ever."

Quoted from Todd Robinson as he was giving a reflection on Landon's political career three weeks after he turned 110 in 1997.

We are getting very close to where the meat of the story is taking place. But since it seems like some people are interested, I will continue with this

1940 and 1944 are the same as OTL

genusmap.php

Harry Truman - 359 electoral votes / 45 percent popular vote
Thomas Dewey - 177 electoral votes / 42 percent popular vote
Strom Thurmond - 62 electoral votes / 5 percent popular vote
Henry Wallace - 60 electoral votes / 8 percent popular vote

"1948, the last election before I was born. The only election besides 1824 where four candidates won a state as well. It was a crazy year. Despite a splintered democrat faction, they still managed to win. I wonder how Truman was able to do it today. I wonder if we will see a four party race ever again. A part of me does, but at the same time that would just a shoe horn landslide for one candidate probably."

Quoted from Todd Robinson in 1968, right before the Wallace wave on election night.

The next election is 1960, and starting 1960 I will be covering every single election from then until 2020 at a minimum, and maybe 2024 and beyond if I get motivated. Each of these election posts from now on will be in semi story format. Long enough to give full context on each one, but short enough to still be one post each.

Here is a tiny hint at what will happen starting 1960

220px-37_Lyndon_Johnson_3x4.jpg
220px-Richard_M._Nixon%2C_ca._1935_-_1982_-_NARA_-_530679.jpg

1960 - The battle of the south

Mondale Wins in 1984:
OvwXmyx.jpg

Walter Mondale (D-MN)/Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY) 279 electoral votes, 50.56% popular vote
Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/George H.W Bush (R-TX) 259 electoral votes, 48.77% popular vote

Say what you will about him as a president, but the guy knew how to win an election. I mean, he was the only democrat to win a two way race between 1896 and 1932.
That's not saying much given the circumstances of that era. And Wilson in 1912 got fewer votes than Bryan in 1908, and only won reelection in 1916 through a 3,800 vote margin in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.