What happened?
Year, candidates, setup ?

View attachment 398805 An election between 1944 and 1960
Blue is Democratic state wins
Red is Republican state wins
Green is Undisclosed Third/ independent
What happened?
I can't see any way a third party is winning both the Deep South and rock-ribbed GOP states like North Dakota and Kansas during that time period. maybe the R and D nominees are both very liberal, especially on civil rights, and thus a conservative (probably segregationist) third party runs? but that wouldn't explain how they win states like Minnesota and California so I'm stumped.

He gets 29.7%.
Just short of 30% That is interesting. Also, I have a question. Would you mind if I take your Tim Kaine Virginia map and post it on U.S. Election Atlas? I of course, will give you credit for it, but I wanted to share it on the Virginia Senate thread there, since we've been discussing how well Kaine might do this year.

Just short of 30% That is interesting. Also, I have a question. Would you mind if I take your Tim Kaine Virginia map and post it on U.S. Election Atlas? I of course, will give you credit for it, but I wanted to share it on the Virginia Senate thread there, since we've been discussing how well Kaine might do this year.
Sure, go ahead.

POD: George W. Bush is assassinated on 9/11 and Dick Cheney assumes the Presidency. Cheney's heart gives out under all the stress that the job entails and Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert becomes POTUS upon Cheney's death. in October of 2004, the mother of all "October surprises" is revealed when leaked documents show that Hastert was accused of molesting numerous high school wrestlers during his time as a high school wrestling coach. upon the allegations coming out, the Democratic ticket (Wesley Clark/Howard Dean) surges in the polls, with the race moving from Likely R to Safe D over just a few days. on election day Hastert loses by both the largest margin in the PV and EV ever recorded, losing all 50 states and only narrowly winning Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District.

genusmap.php

General Wesley Clark (D-AR)/Howard Dean (D-VT) 67.38% popular vote, 537 electoral votes
President Dennis Hastert (R-IL)/Steve King (R-IA)* 24.87%, 1 electoral vote

*Replacing Vice President Colin Powell, who resigned from the ticket upon the allegations breaking.

View attachment 398805 An election between 1944 and 1960
Blue is Democratic state wins
Red is Republican state wins
Green is Undisclosed Third/ independent
What happened?
Huey Long survives, Roosevelt doesn't run in 1944 due to unimportant reasons, the Democrats nominate *Insert Uncharismatic Southerner Here*. Long runs third party under the platform of being the true successor to FDR.

Huey Long survives, Roosevelt doesn't run in 1944 due to unimportant reasons, the Democrats nominate *Insert Uncharismatic Southerner Here*. Long runs third party under the platform of being the true successor to FDR.
I was thinking the D nominee would have to be a liberal Northerner, because in a race between an uncharasmatic Southern Democrat and Huey Long, I think the South was still loyal to the national party, at least in 1944 anyway.

Snip

General Wesley Clark (D-AR)/Howard Dean (D-VT) 67.38% popular vote, 537 electoral votes
President Dennis Hastert (R-IL)/Steve King (R-IA)* 24.87%, 1 electoral vote

*Replacing Vice President Colin Powell, who resigned from the ticket upon the allegations breaking.

Is this a standalone or do you have something planned for 2008? I'd love to see how a Clark/Dean ticket would compete in a fairer election scenario.

lLAODxa.jpg

Kaine wins 59-40, with Stewart's very strong performance in Southwest Virginia keeping him below 60% despite his blowout wins in NoVA and the Virginia Beach and Richmond metro areas.
Sure, go ahead.

Thank you for letting me do so, but I probably won't ask you again. Soon after I posted the map (and made the attribution to you), someone reported that post to the moderators. Virginia allowed for it to remain, but said that putting up posts by banned users is not allowed on the Atlas Forum.

Thank you for letting me do so, but I probably won't ask you again. Soon after I posted the map (and made the attribution to you), someone reported that post to the moderators. Virginia allowed for it to remain, but said that putting up posts by banned users is not allowed on the Atlas Forum.

I think it is incredible how one of the most Republican states in the union has shifted so rapidly toward the GOP.

Hmm, I didn't realize that was something you can't do over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.