Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is making Baker vs Manchin maps :(
ice_screenshot_20180516-190108.png

Here's a better one, a Gabbard vs. Palin one.
genusmap.php

Tulsi Gabbard / Jason Kander (Democratic) 286 EV
Sarah Palin / Ron Johnson (Republican) 252 EV

And this still makes more sense than most Baker vs. Manchin maps.
Interesting idea.
But, how would you explain both Virginias flipping? WV bacame so republican and I doubt that any Democrat (except maybe Manchin) could win there.

genusmap.php

Joe Manchin (D-WV)/John Bel Edwards (D-LA) - 281 EVs - 46.3%
Charlie Baker (R-MA)/John Kasich (R-OH) - 253 EVs - 46.9%
Tulsi Gabbard (G-HI)/Ro Khanna (G-CA) - 4 EVs - 5.2%

Bytor

Monthly Donor
A (very) quick scan through seems to be that the maps here are all existing riding/district boundaries but with different results or contenders.

Has anybody ever done anything like "What if US electoral ridings were sane instead of gerrymandered" in their ATL and made a map of it?

1980 if Anderson was the GOP nominee and Reagan ran third party:

genusmap.php

John B. Anderson (R-IL)/Bob Dole (R-KS) 47% popular vote, 422 electoral votes
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter (D-GA)/Walter Mondale (D-MN) 34% popular vote, 93 electoral votes
Ronald Reagan (I-CA)/Paul Laxalt (I-NV) 19% popular vote, 23 electoral votes

genusmap.php

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter (D-GA)/Walter Mondale (D-MN) 34% popular vote, 93 electoral votes
Yeah, all three Presidential candidates add up to 100% which is unrealistic, but that’s not a big deal.

What is is that there is no way Carter only wins the South with this major split, there is no way Anderson is this successful (even without a third party, man was not charismatic and largely alienated the entire party due to his liberal beliefs), and you seemed to pick Reagan’s states at random rather than what he would actually win.

Needs some work.

genusmap.php

I have an interesting scenario to pose for you. Earlier, you had posted a map of what the Deep Southern states would have looked like in 1964 if they had been carried by Johnson. Now I was wondering: what would the 1964 election have looked like under 2016 conditions? That is, how would the county map have looked if the candidates that year (Democratic and Republican), had won the exact same states, with the exact same percentages, as Johnson and Goldwater did, but with modern demographics and voting patterns?

A (very) quick scan through seems to be that the maps here are all existing riding/district boundaries but with different results or contenders.

Has anybody ever done anything like "What if US electoral ridings were sane instead of gerrymandered" in their ATL and made a map of it?

Mainly because I love DRA I have always drawn my own districts. You can go back a few pages a see the link on my VA page which takes you to a 750 FPTP map. Or you can hop over to the yankee dominion and see my work there. If 435 is your fancy, I have a fair-US regulation map somewhere, but I probably don't have access to a full version because that computer is in storage for the summer. I will search for it in the coming days.

Speaking of maps and computers, I had 3 more states lined up for that, pictures and posts ready to go. Then I forgot to upload them to drive. Maybe I will create new states, or maybe the 'series' will be on hold for the summer.

genusmap.php

Carter's winning a lot more than that, an Anderson vs Reagan split would be as disastrous for the GOP as Roosevelt vs Taft was.

Yeah, all three Presidential candidates add up to 100% which is unrealistic, but that’s not a big deal.

What is is that there is no way Carter only wins the South with this major split, there is no way Anderson is this successful (even without a third party, man was not charismatic and largely alienated the entire party due to his liberal beliefs), and you seemed to pick Reagan’s states at random rather than what he would actually win.

Needs some work.

Yes Carter would almost certainly win New York, Minnesota, Hawaii, and Rhode Island here.

Needs some work.
You're right. I'll probably make another map for this with a much narrower Anderson victory (Even with Reagan running third party, I think if the other conditions are the same as OTL '80, Carter would still be facing a serious uphill battle).

Status
Not open for further replies.