Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
a9888407_1e8f_44bb_bb9f_a229961ddd62.png

Guess the context here.

I assume that DC is a lot less important in this TL, and fewer government employees live in what we know as NoVA?

Actually the large number of government employees in the area is another major reason why Labor has been able to hold onto government for so long. After all, the only reason that Republicans managed to win even in traditional Labor stronghold counties is that everyone just got tired of decades of continuous Labor government which had lead to endemic corruption. Plus the Republican party in this timeline is nowhere near as anti-government as they are OTL, though they are shifting more and more towards that territory with the growth of Buckley Republicans.

I haven't posted on here in a while then suddenly the heavens opened and I was blessed by inspiration! (Actually I just had an idea while reading about Mattis then watching an old Vox video)

Trump is impeached in 2019 and Pence only further divides the republican party and hurts there image. Many assumed the republicans would suffer in the next election greatly, even Pence was hesitant about running, but as no major republican announced they would the task fell to him. However not long after he announced he was running former senator Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire announced her intention to run against him. She campaigned as a common sense centrist outsider. Pence was the favorite to win, but Ayotte pulled an upset by barely loosing the Iowa primary, and winning the New Hampshire and Nevada Primary in a blowout, however Pence fared better in South Carolina. After the first super Tuesday Pence continued to slip in the polls while Ayotte continued to rise. Ayotte secured the nomination after Pence failed to win a state in the second super tuesday. Ayotte choose the popular General Mattis to help shore up support with the conservative base. In the general she faced progressive Senator Jeff Merkley with his running mate Kirsten Gillibrand. Merkley was the favorite to win and polled 10 points ahead of Ayotte in July, however as the months went on Ayotte managed to creep up in the polls, and by October they were polling roughly even. The campaign featured 4 debates, of which Ayotte won 1, Merkley won 2, and 1 was considered a draw. Both candidates mostly focused on highlighting the policy differences between them. Come election day to the surprise of most the race had no clear front runner, and afterwards Arizona, North Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, Maine, Colorado, Florida, and New Hampshire were to close to call. It wasn't until late December, after numerous recounts and court challenges that Merkley conceded. Ayotte pulled what was called the greatest poliltcal upset in American history. Ayotte managed to succesfully primary a sitting president and win a race many thought she had no chance of winning.
aD 2020 Election.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.