Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2018-1-25_19-17-58.png

Here's what the best possible results for the GOP might look like in Massachusetts for a presidential election; this is probably around 57-41 D-R. The Democrats win under 130 towns out of 351, but the areas the GOP wins are less populated and the most Democratic areas are more Democratic than the most Republican areas are more Republican (with the best town for the GOP probably either Boxford or Tolland, which are R>60 while Aquinnah, Provincetown, Cambridge, Somerville, Lawrence, and Amherst are D>80).

View attachment 367327
Here's what the best possible results for the GOP might look like in Massachusetts for a presidential election; this is probably around 57-41 D-R. The Democrats win under 130 towns out of 351, but the areas the GOP wins are less populated and the most Democratic areas are more Democratic than the most Republican areas are more Republican (with the best town for the GOP probably either Boxford or Tolland, which are R>60 while Aquinnah, Provincetown, Cambridge, Somerville, Lawrence, and Amherst are D>80).
But what if it was Charlie Baker vs. Joe Manchin????

(I’m sorry everyone)

gyDdj2v4RPWwYYphl_TRPw.png

Here's my guess. I'm probably wrong, but it's a guess.
You are correct, for the most part. Georgia and Montana are actually Democratic victories, while South Carolina is a very narrow Republican victory. Georgia, Montana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Iowa, Colorado, Louisiana, and Nebraska are all decided by single digits. In Wyoming, the Republican runs unopposed, and in Rhode Island, the Democrat runs unopposed.

Last edited:
I can see how Sanders could have won.

However, for the sake of argument, what state of johnguy's map would you flip for a Trump victory scenario (since you're flipping Virginia to Sanders)?

To go the other way, I would actually flip Nevada over to Sanders. Most pundits overlook just how badly the GOP did downballot in that state, losing all but one house seat and both houses of the state legislature.

after i saw 538's redistricting thing i decided to try and make an arkansas map with 2 democratic (or at least close enough to be won by democrats) districts

i am sorry for what you are about to see

qdplR4r.png

District 1 - R+3.36
District 2 - R+4.14
District 3 - R+23.89
District 4 - R+26.53

mike beebe would be proud

I live in Maryland, was something there shocking?
my arkansas map is twice as bad (something like R+20 if i did the math right while maryland is D+9) as maryland currently in terms of efficiency gap (which is used to measure how bad a gerrymander is)

my arkansas map is twice as bad (something like R+20 if i did the math right while maryland is D+9) as maryland currently in terms of efficiency gap (which is used to measure how bad a gerrymander is)
To me, that only is a general measure, not one that gauges the issues of a specific issue. If two districts keep the same R/D+- they contribute to the efficiency gap the same regardless of how convoluted the borders are.

Here is another map that I devised. This is a map of the 2020 United States Senate election results by county, in the Holland Scenario. The map displays percentages for each county. Can you guess who wins each Senatorial race based upon this map?

I've seen your work on this, and I like where this is going. Perhaps in 2022 and 2024, Republicans make gains in the House and Senate?

United Nations Ambassador Election in the United States, 2019

November 4, 2019

Popular Vote (estimate)
Barack Obama (D): 51.92%
Susan Collins (R): 48.08%

Electoral Vote
Barack Obama (D): 253
Susan Collins (R): 182

Contests won
Susan Collins (R): 30
Barack Obama (D): 26

Barack Obama is elected United States Ambassador to the United Nations