Alternate Electoral Maps II

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Aaaaasima, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustralianSwingVoter Well-Known Member

YES!

2. Peyton Stephen Colbert 2020

MAJOR SPOILER HERE from my TL A Future To Believe In: 2020-2100: 2022 Senate elections.
    Guess who the new Senators from each state are - you might be right! I could also use some suggestions.

[​IMG]

3. JwEX Elijah Manley 2020

Kander in MO?
    Buttigieg in IN?
    I'll guess Scott Holcomb or Jason Carter in GA (can't be Tomlinson since she's already elected in your TL)
    I have no idea in FL, but I recommend Kathy Castor, Val Demings, or Darren Soto. Someone young and probably not from SoFlo, as our Dem pols seem to have trouble winning statewide elections. Maybe new state Sen. Annette Taddeo?
    Idk enough about NC to make a good guess.
    In Pennsylvania, maybe someone like Matt Cartwright or John Fetterman?
    In Wisconsin, I'll guess either Mark Pocan, Ron Kind, or Kathleen Vinehout.
    Are there any seat holds but new senators, like if an incumbent retired?

4. Peyton Stephen Colbert 2020

MO - Kander
    IN - Buttigieg
    GA - Stay tuned, Democratic primary is between Jason Carter and Michael Render
    FL - Don't know yet, might go with, Val Demings
    NC - Roy Cooper
    PA - Fetterman
    WI - Don't know yet, might go with Ron Kind
    AZ - John McCain died in 2019 and was replaced by his daughter, Meghan

JwEX likes this.
  5. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

6. AustralianSwingVoter Well-Known Member

This is Impressive. It seems to me to be a take on the British 2015 election. I can see many parallels and I must say I am most impressed with the level of thought and detail that you have put into this.

7. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

It's actually based off 2015. (exhibit a: overall Conservative majority, near-sweep of former Coland by my SNP analogue)
    Also, my UKIP analogue, Dragons First, wins only one seat, a coastal seat not that different from Clacton.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. AustralianSwingVoter Well-Known Member

What threw me off was the lower SNP equivalent seats and the higher number of Labor seats.

9. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

The 6 cantons in the Northwest were more or less all of what former Coland covered (that wasn't in another country). These 6 cantons only have 33 seats between them. I couldn't have gave them the seat count of the SNP even if I wanted to.
    So I settled on giving them all but 3. One left over for the Lib Dems, Tories, and Labour each. Labour has the constituency of Port Cole Docks, which is more deprived than the rest of the city and covers an area that has been blue-collar for many centuries. The Conservatives got Foypool, a fishing/touristy/export-centric constituency which is probably quite marginal in character, but a place they have an entrenched moderate incumbent with a big personal vote and pitch-perfect constituent services. And the Liberal Democrats got Thorpe, thanks in part to a strong constituency MP, the relatively less nationalist bent of the seat, and remnants of a culturally liberal vote in the fringe areas in the mountainous regions away from the big cities.

10. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

Anyone have any districts they want to know more about?

11. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

No Plaid analogue? Boo. :p

12. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

Sorry, I actually completely forgot about Plaid Cymru.
    Should I edit it in?

13. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

Nah, just say the Wales analogue actually became independent. :p

gap80 likes this.
  14. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

I actually have a decently good Wales analogue - the Eastern part of the country, those 5 mainland cantons in the Far eastern part of the country, plus the three northernmost island cantons.
    @Turquoise Blue I added a 'Plaid Carolina' party.
    Missing anything else?

15. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

Eh, I would say make the entirety of the islands be in the Wales analogue. Would give it a twist.

gap80 likes this.
  16. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

New Quay is a 'Singapore in the Caribbean' though. It is more like Hong Kong than Holyhead.
    The big red belt in the South is more Wales-like, since it has a history of industry and hilly terrain just like former Carolina (with more agriculture thrown in the mix, though).

17. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

Eh, that risks confusing Wales with Northern England.

And so what? We need a Cardiff analogue, after all. :p

gap80 likes this.
  18. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

Raleigh is that city there next to the northernmost island, part of a canton with 12 districts on the southeast coast. And to its south is Chutney.
    The Conservative constituency on the far northern island is like that because it's essentially Raleigh suburbia.
    Can you say 'commuter belt' ten times fast? :p

Zaffre likes this.
  19. Temeraire Well-Known Member

I'd like to know more about Dragon's First and the seat they won. Are they literal or metaphorically dragons?

20. TimTurner Cartoon Phanatic

This is a universe where labels like dragons, wyverns, etc, are used essentially as stand-ins playing roles analogous to ethnicities in OTL.
    Dragons and wyverns are essentially rock-solid allies, and they have historically had difficulties with dragverns. In-universe peace has been achieved within the country between these groups; but dragverns elsewhere are extremely polarized about how they see the Dragon Kingdom. Dragons First would presumably have a very hawkish posture against the enemies of the country, kind of like, say, the Liberal Democratic party of Russia, with some anti-immigration stances thrown in.
    Their only seat is similar to profile to Foypool, except it's more rural and more deprived, with less manufacturing and more agriculture. Probably was an open seat too - hard to see them toppling an entrenched one or two decade incumbent MP.

Temeraire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.