Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kick
The year is 2016. the day is Thursday. the month is October. the time is precisely 4:20 PM. it's a chilly October morning in NYC. George Pataki is sipping on some coffee and reading the NYT as his senior campaign adviser walks in the room, "George, I've got big news", he quietly mutters as George ignores him and sips on his coffee; "Tell me later, Bob"... "But George, I have in my hands a copy of the sex tape featuring Hillary Clinton that has just been given to me" ... "Hold my coffee, fam". George puts the tape into his VCR that he mysteriously still owns in 2016. and that's when he sees it... Hillary Rodham Clinton making sweet, sweet love to former Minnesota Governor William J. Rutherford in the back of a Ford pick-up truck. Pataki is stunned, after he asks his adviser to leave him alone for 10 minutes, the adviser walks back in and asks Pataki what his official statement on the tape will be; Pataki responds: "Well Bob, I'm going to have to make an issue of the fact that William Rutherford is my stepfather... I never knew he was like this!", the adviser suggests to Pataki that he go after Clinton on this and use it to tar her character, Pataki agrees. polls taken in the immediate aftermath of the tapes release show Pataki leading Clinton by 40% with many undecideds. at the third and final Presidential debate, Pataki finally brings up the tape, noting that Rutherford moaned "This is for my boy Georgie" at one point during the sexual acts. on election day, Pataki went on to win a historic landslide, winning all 50 states and even getting 35% in Washington DC.
The_2016_We_Deserved.png

The year is 2016. the day is Thursday. the month is October. the time is precisely 4:20 PM. it's a chilly October morning in NYC. George Pataki is sipping on some coffee and reading the NYT as his senior campaign adviser walks in the room, "George, I've got big news", he quietly mutters as George ignores him and sips on his coffee; "Tell me later, Bob"... "But George, I have in my hands a copy of the sex tape featuring Hillary Clinton that has just been given to me" ... "Hold my coffee, fam". George puts the tape into his VCR that he mysteriously still owns in 2016. and that's when he sees it... Hillary Rodham Clinton making sweet, sweet love to former Minnesota Governor William J. Rutherford in the back of a Ford pick-up truck. Pataki is stunned, after he asks his adviser to leave him alone for 10 minutes, the adviser walks back in and asks Pataki what his official statement on the tape will be; Pataki responds: "Well Bob, I'm going to have to make an issue of the fact that William Rutherford is my stepfather... I never knew he was like this!", the adviser suggests to Pataki that he go after Clinton on this and use it to tar her character, Pataki agrees. polls taken in the immediate aftermath of the tapes release show Pataki leading Clinton by 40% with many undecideds. at the third and final Presidential debate, Pataki finally brings up the tape, noting that Rutherford moaned "This is for my boy Georgie" at one point during the sexual acts. on election day, Pataki went on to win a historic landslide, winning all 50 states and even getting 35% in Washington DC.
The_2016_We_Deserved.png
Oh god

Learning to County
Multnomah County Assembly Election, 2016

The Twenty-Eighth Amendment remains controversial to this day. Passed in the early 1990s at the height of conservative dominance in Washington, the so-called "County Supremacy" amendment was President Quayle's pet project to placate the far right of his party and to sate what he believed to be a hunger for constitutional reform represented by the Perot movement. The amendment required states to delegate certain powers uniformly to county governments, and for counties in turn to adopt the "balanced" tripartite structure of the federal government. With the stroke of a pen, Newt Gingrich created 3,142 new legislatures.

Of course, it is a fact universally acknowledged that the Amendment was a ludicrous travesty that has slowed government work to the pace of molasses. The County Legislatures, some of whose members represent bare handfuls of voters in underpopulated census tracts, have been breeding grounds for political extremism and corruption, and are frequently rendered illegitimate by astonishingly low turnout levels even for the United States. Members of the Sovereign Citizen movement famously took control of Eureka County, Nevada, by winning seats with less than 50 voters apiece, while followers of Lyndon LaRouche have a thriving presence in County legislatures across the union. In Kalawo County, Hawaii - founded in 1905 as a leper colony and now home to only 88 people - more than a third of the residents are members of the legislature. Even conservatives have been disappointed by County Supremacy, which in practice did more to take power away from municipalities than it did from state or federal government. County legislatures are typically the least popular public bodies in the country.

The 65-member Multnomah County Assembly is no exception to the rule. Apart from the cost and the needless paperwork caused by the overlap of the county government with the City of Portland and Metro, the regional planning authority, county residents' major complaint is malapportionment. Fast-growing neighborhoods such as Buckman and Kerns on the central eastside, as well as historically underserved East Portland communities such as Lents, are underrepresented compared to suburban areas. During the second Assembly election in 1994, local prankster and future founder of the Yes Men, Igor Vamos, won a seat under the satirical "Neighborhood Overlordship Now" ticket, championing a constitutional amendment that would fix the county's problems by setting up a sovereign legislature for every city block.

There was never any question of the Democrats' total dominance of the legislature coming to an end in 2016, of course. Portland, and Multnomah County by extension, is a battleground between Patagonia-wearing liberals and crusty leftists; an intercine fight in which Republicans have no place. There are conservative areas in the suburbs, but even the closest thing to a Republican safe seat - the colossal tract of rural East County containing the Bull Run watershed, Portland's beloved source of unfluoridated drinking water - has been known to flip blue on the federal level. Nevertheless, the Republicans' two gains in Gresham Butte and Kelly Creek indicated a remarkable rally for the moribund county party and jolted suburban Democrats out of their complacency. More worrying for Dems within the city was the dramatic uptick in third-party voteshare, as Green and Working Families candidates eroded once overwhelming majorities. One Working Families candidate came within 10% of victory even in the comfortable westside seat of Palatine Hill, and the surge was capped off by the Greens winning their first seat since 2006 as transit activist James Ofsink took Richmond in a squeaker. Establishment Democrats had breathed a sigh of relief when the gadfly independent representative from Woodlawn, Chloe Eudaly, left the assembly to make an (ultimately successful) run for Portland Mayor. Yet while they retook her seat, they lost Mt. Scott-Arleta to a Lutz Tavern bartender running on an anti-gentrification platform and found themselves with a replacement thorn in their side.

hymeOhl.png

With Democrats in East County tacking right to stave off Republican challengers and Democrats in the city tacking left to shore up their disintegrating base, the new Assembly session has gotten off to a rocky start...

Learning to County
Multnomah County Assembly Election, 2016

The Twenty-Eighth Amendment remains controversial to this day. Passed in the early 1990s at the height of conservative dominance in Washington, the so-called "County Supremacy" amendment was President Quayle's pet project to placate the far right of his party and to sate what he believed to be a hunger for constitutional reform represented by the Perot movement. The amendment required states to delegate certain powers uniformly to county governments, and for counties in turn to adopt the "balanced" tripartite structure of the federal government. With the stroke of a pen, Newt Gingrich created 3,142 new legislatures.

Of course, it is a fact universally acknowledged that the Amendment was a ludicrous travesty that has slowed government work to the pace of molasses. The County Legislatures, some of whose members represent bare handfuls of voters in underpopulated census tracts, have been breeding grounds for political extremism and corruption, and are frequently rendered illegitimate by astonishingly low turnout levels even for the United States. Members of the Sovereign Citizen movement famously took control of Eureka County, Nevada, by winning seats with less than 50 voters apiece, while followers of Lyndon LaRouche have a thriving presence in County legislatures across the union. In Kalawo County, Hawaii - founded in 1905 as a leper colony and now home to only 88 people - more than a third of the residents are members of the legislature. Even conservatives have been disappointed by County Supremacy, which in practice did more to take power away from municipalities than it did from state or federal government. County legislatures are typically the least popular public bodies in the country.

The 65-member Multnomah County Assembly is no exception to the rule. Apart from the cost and the needless paperwork caused by the overlap of the county government with the City of Portland and Metro, the regional planning authority, county residents' major complaint is malapportionment. Fast-growing neighborhoods such as Buckman and Kerns on the central eastside, as well as historically underserved East Portland communities such as Lents, are underrepresented compared to suburban areas. During the second Assembly election in 1994, local prankster and future founder of the Yes Men, Igor Vamos, won a seat under the satirical "Neighborhood Overlordship Now" ticket, championing a constitutional amendment that would fix the county's problems by setting up a sovereign legislature for every city block.

There was never any question of the Democrats' total dominance of the legislature coming to an end in 2016, of course. Portland, and Multnomah County by extension, is a battleground between Patagonia-wearing liberals and crusty leftists; an intercine fight in which Republicans have no place. There are conservative areas in the suburbs, but even the closest thing to a Republican safe seat - the colossal tract of rural East County containing the Bull Run watershed, Portland's beloved source of unfluoridated drinking water - has been known to flip blue on the federal level. Nevertheless, the Republicans' two gains in Gresham Butte and Kelly Creek indicated a remarkable rally for the moribund county party and jolted suburban Democrats out of their complacency. More worrying for Dems within the city was the dramatic uptick in third-party voteshare, as Green and Working Families candidates eroded once overwhelming majorities. One Working Families candidate came within 10% of victory even in the comfortable westside seat of Palatine Hill, and the surge was capped off by the Greens winning their first seat since 2006 as transit activist James Ofsink took Richmond in a squeaker. Establishment Democrats had breathed a sigh of relief when the gadfly independent representative from Woodlawn, Chloe Eudaly, left the assembly to make an (ultimately successful) run for Portland Mayor. Yet while they retook her seat, they lost Mt. Scott-Arleta to a Lutz Tavern bartender running on an anti-gentrification platform and found themselves with a replacement thorn in their side.

hymeOhl.png

With Democrats in East County tacking right to stave off Republican challengers and Democrats in the city tacking left to shore up their disintegrating base, the new Assembly session has gotten off to a rocky start...
That, good sir, is a most brilliant idea of yours. I most certainly hope that this will turn into a series.

IMG_2995.jpg
IMG_2993.jpg
Nixon wins in 1960 and passes the civil rights act in 1964 and the voting rights act in 1965. He easily defeats a Muskie Gaylord Ticket in 1964. By 1966 the Korean War has gone hot again. Leading to a significant troop draw down in Vietnam. The democratic Ticket of Humphrey- Mills narrowly wins the 68 election over Scranton-Vople with both Regaen-Goldwater And Wallace LeMay splitting the right of center vote three ways.
Wallace wins the bitterly contested democratic primary in 1972 and chooses Connally of Texas as his VP. Lodge underperformed in the New Hampshire primary and drops out shortly after leaving room for Nelson Rockefeller to grab the nomination. Rockefeller chooses fellow liberal govonor George Romeny of Michigan as his running mate. The election is a de-alignment with conservatives mostly voting for Wallace 75-20 while liberals vote for Rockefeller 66 to 15 with a small number of left wing voters pulling the lever for George McGovern and shirley chisholm, who only won D.C. By a slim plurality of 48%. The election sees black voters return home to the party of Lincoln, a trend that had accelerated with the republican supported passage of the civil rights act
Republican
Rockefeller Romney
354 ECV
52%
Democratic
Wallace Connally
184 ECV 46%
Coalition for Peace and Love
McGovern Chisholm 3 ECV
4.5%

I'm honestly waiting for someone to just make a map that has all the counties painted the same colour. At this rate it is bound to happen.
Ok, so in 2020, after Donald Trump gets Guam Nuked and the economy worse than in 1930 in a dystopia,while spending time attacking football players, he's still leading in West Virginia and tied in Kentucky against a National Union Ticket of Kasich and Hickenlooper. However, during a campaign appearance in... who-gives-a-shit, lets just say South Dakota, he pulls out a rifle, screams "FOR THE NRA" and shoots William J. Rutherford three times, and a random trucker once. Then he screams "I DID WHAT OLD CRUSTY BUSH NEVER DID, SAD!" and runs away streaking naked. I also forgot to mention that his VP is Steve Bannon because even Mike Pence got tired of this bullshit. So then, after Trump shoots a former South Dakotan governor, Mike Pence releases a tape of Steve Bannon saying Racist and Ant-Semetic things to Donald Trump's face in 2017. By this point, not even Ben Garrison can defend them, and Trump loses every county.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
<IMAGE DELETED for bandwidth>

Oh, HELL no.

Trolling much? Not to mention posting current politics flamebait outside of Chat.

Kicked for a week.

What? Tex Arkana was kicked again? I wasn't offended by the Rutherford posts: I thought it was a humorous take on the character which I created. Kicking him out without warning might have been a little harsh, but who am I to say? One must be very careful with the scenarios that they devise here.

Ok, so in 2020, after Donald Trump gets Guam Nuked and the economy worse than in 1930 in a dystopia,while spending time attacking football players, he's still leading in West Virginia and tied in Kentucky against a National Union Ticket of Kasich and Hickenlooper. However, during a campaign appearance in... who-gives-a-shit, lets just say South Dakota, he pulls out a rifle, screams "FOR THE NRA" and shoots William J. Rutherford three times, and a random trucker once. Then he screams "I DID WHAT OLD CRUSTY BUSH NEVER DID, SAD!" and runs away streaking naked. I also forgot to mention that his VP is Steve Bannon because even Mike Pence got tired of this bullshit. So then, after Trump shoots a former South Dakotan governor, Mike Pence releases a tape of Steve Bannon saying Racist and Ant-Semetic things to Donald Trump's face in 2017. By this point, not even Ben Garrison can defend them, and Trump loses every county.

Note, in 2016, Roberts County Texas was 924 for Trump, 20 for Clinton and 10 for third parties.

What? Tex Arkana was kicked again? I wasn't offended by the Rutherford posts: I thought it was a humorous take on the character which I created. Kicking him out without warning might have been a little harsh, but who am I to say? One must be very careful with the scenarios that they devise here.
Idk whether the kick was justified but I will say that the post in question did make me uncomfortable from reading it

On an Earth with a rather larger amount of early Alien Contact, Speaker Ali Sadikin has just steered the conservative alliance to a third consecutive victory over the liberals, and this time an even more towering one, with a 46-28 lead in the global assembly, steered by an 8 point margin. The liberal leader, Delegate Robert Kennedy, meanwhile, came within 6 points of losing his seat.
NRefv2R2.png

On an Earth with a rather larger amount of early Alien Contact, Speaker Ali Sadikin has just steered the conservative alliance to a third consecutive victory over the liberals, and this time an even more towering one, with a 46-28 lead in the global assembly, steered by an 8 point margin. The liberal leader, Delegate Robert Kennedy, meanwhile, came within 6 points of losing his seat.
This doesn't make much sense, I'm afraid.

For one, Europe has less population than Africa, so why does Africa only get two seats?

And "conservative" vs. "liberal"? Those are very Amerocentric labels, I'm afraid. You probably wouldn't get that in a global election system.

And no third parties?

This doesn't make much sense, I'm afraid.

For one, Europe has less population than Africa, so why does Africa only get two seats?

And "conservative" vs. "liberal"? Those are very Amerocentric labels, I'm afraid. You probably wouldn't get that in a global election system.

And no third parties?
The seats are apportioned based on GDP, not population. Meanwhile, the alliances are loose idealogical caucuses that candidates group with. For instance, the liberal in Arizona-Los Angeles is a member of the Progressive Party, while the liberal in Taiwan-Fuijan is a member of the Chinese Communist Party. There are a number of smaller parties and groupings, but all of the delegates in this session associate either with Sadikin's majority government or the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.