Status
Not open for further replies.
rEKhc5I.jpg
Victory now! Victory tomorrow! Victory foreverXDXDXD

fashbasher

Banned
A song of (Tamir) Rice and Fire(water)
n9IjSBx.png

POD: George M. Zimmerman dies in a car crash on I-4 in October 2012, well before he would be acquitted, after a Florida Woman driving the wrong way while chugging a bottle of vodka rams him. The immediate results of this are as follows:

Black Lives Matter doesn't form until after the 2014 elections and the suspicious deaths of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, and the eponymous Rice - a 12-year-old who somehow got ahold of a picture-perfect replica of a toy gun and (thanks to a 911-operator snafu) was reported as a potential active shooter/act of terror instead of some kid playing with a gun (even many Europeans who I've talked to can see how that very egregious shooting was justified under US gun laws and in light of recent mass shootings). Because Brown and Rice are to some extent less sympathetic than Trayvon Martin and because all three males died at the hands of on-duty officers, the BLM movement doesn't become nearly as much of a national fascination and remains laser-focused on police and criminal justice, not on "culture wars". This effectively means that race relations are far less of an issue going into the 2015-2016 election cycle, and the tone of the primary campaigns is somewhat more muted without the constant interruptions of rallies by BLM supporters and without Trump constantly bringing up race and crime. Instead, there is a monomania on the economy and jobs.

Donald Trump, unlike in OTL, is unable to ride white racial anxiety to an outright majority of primary delegates, instead falling about a dozen short when all is counted and resulting in a likely brokered convention. On the eve of the convention, Trump and Rubio strike a grand bargain; Trump (who won a plurality of the popular vote in the primaries) will be able to act as nominee so long as Rubio likes him, but Rubio can "fire" Trump if he thinks the Donald is going out of line. This inevitably happens between the first and second debates, when Trump unleashes a tweetstorm at "that bulldyke Hillary and her pinko friend Bernie", who is her official economic advisor and almost certain to sit in the cabinet (laser-like focus on jobs, remember?) Trump vows to launch a write-in campaign against Clinton and Rubio alike, and is able to eke out a narrow plurality of electoral votes in West Virginia and one district in Maine. Trump is able to do surprisingly well in Utah, oddly enough, because of Rubio's desperation choice of Caitlyn Jenner (lol) for running mate in an attempt to pick up center-left votes.

Yes, this is a pun-based scenario.

Last edited:
After the disaster that was George Wallace's first term, 1972 is a GOP blowout. Nelson Rockefeller is the Republican nominee and he chooses Reagan as his running mate in order to peel off some conservatives from Wallace. Wallace switches to the Democratic Party mid-way through his term, and Eugene McCarthy runs as a progressive Independent with George McGovern as his running mate, nearly pushing Wallace into third place nationally.

genusmap.php

Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)/Ronald Reagan (R-CA) ~ 426 Electoral Votes ~ 47% Popular Vote
George Wallace (D-AL)/Curtis LeMay (D-CA) ~ 66 Electoral Votes ~ 27% Popular Vote
Eugene McCarthy (I-MN)/George McGovern (I-SD) ~ 46 Electoral Votes ~ 25% Popular Vote

IMG_2603.PNG
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2599.jpg

POD Nixon wins in 1960 and passes the Civil Rights Act in '65 after fending off a close challenge from Barry Goldwater in the primary. The Democrats use southern reactionary anger to their own use and nominate Texas senator Lyndon Johnson to hold down the south and senator Frank Lausche to try to swing Ohio Nixon was far to popular and attracted upwards of 75% of the black vote and a good 1/3 of left leaning democrats the result was a republican title wave. In 1968 liberal republicans Michigan Governor George Romney and Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton easily won the nomination after Vice President Lodge abruptly dropped out of the race in early March after coming in third place to hot shot consertive Ronald Reagan, the RNC quickly made sure that Romey secured the nomination as they feared a rightward lerch would alienate the liberals and African American support they had picked up over the 1960's. To the democrats credit the party was in total civil war with Bobby Kennedy and George Wallace fighting to the death at the convention when the DNC outraged both the Left and Right wings of the party and picked Senator Edmund Muskie of Maine and North Carolina Governor Terry Stanford. The choices satisfied no one and the convention fell into rioting as left and right wing factions when from screaming at the DNC to punching and kicking each other
Alabama Governor and Storm Thurmond ran on the newly formed American Party while Bobby Kennedy and Eugen McCarthey ran as independents popularly known as the " Peace Democrats " for their opposition to the spreading anti communist war in India.
In the end the moderate establishment republican Romney was the real winner, winning nearly 66% of the vote and 47 states. While Wallace won his home state of Alabama and neighboring Mississippi. Kennedy won no states but got a decent 18% of the popular vote nationally and broke 20% in NY, MA, RI,NJ,IL,and Ohio.
Romeny entered the White House with nearly 75% approval ratings, but the war in India was going south quickly... communist east India had so far only been given a moderate among of aid from the USSR but in July of 1970 the Mao stepped in and sent contingents of the red army over the border into Assam in the hope of convincing Neuhr to join the Chinese faction of the communist world which now held the support of Korea, North Japan, Albania and Yugoslavia as well as communist forces in Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. The tension broke out in to a multi sides conflict that month turning much of the Ganges flood plan into killing feild. More then 6 million mostly educated or well of Indians immigrated to the U.K. and other commonwealth nations in the following decade following the Indian civil war.
As more and more forces where forced to be deployed to places like Sumatra and Java and Iran popular support for the war crashed as the death toll past 100k mark in early 1971 and Romeys approval rating plunged into the low 30's. He knew he was in real trouble when Reagen announced a primary campaign against in in July of 1971...
Reagens conservative message of flate rate taxes and attracted many wealthier democrats and his promis to end the war unless communist forces directly attacked American soil made him popular among most moderate peace activist. His most controversial plank was rolling back much of the Regulations such as racial and gender quotas for company hiring and university admission something that started to bother even somewhat liberal white voters. Yet Regean was smart enough to pick Ed Brook the first African American Senator since
Blanche K. Bruce in the 1870's.
Meanwhile the democrats tried desperately to bring their party together and took great effort to paint Regean as a right wing radical that would give cater only to the wealthy. Nominating Young Minnisota Senator Walter Mondale who stressed his economic liberalism passionately. House minority wip Tip O'Neil was chosen as VP.
The election should have been a easy democratic wave especially considering a republican had now occupied the White House for 20 years but it would not be.
Reagen Won 359 ECV with 50.6% of the vote to Mondales 178 ECV and 48.6%. America was tired of war and serving as the world's police man, in January when Regean took office his Fix Our Own nation resulted in pulling out of the UN, NATO and several other defense pacts. The war in India and scattered peace keeping missions where over by the summer of 1973 or ar lest Americans troops had returned home.
The liberal international community was horrified that Reagen had actually gone so far as to pull out of NATO and withdrawn 1/3 of over seas stationed troops. In September of 1974 the world watched in horror as the now unified United Arab Federation under the leadership of Nasser launch a surprise invasion of Israel from all sides... unlike the 48 war this time the arabs had the best weponds and equipment their oil money could buy from the Soviets.
Ronald Regean Edd Brooks
The Democrats turned to national hero and First man to step foot on the Moon in 68, Senator John Glenn of Ohio and noted Cold War warrior Washington Senator Henry Jackson to Challange Reagen and reassert American leadership and order to the world.

John Glenn and Henery Jackson
Won 338 ECV and 51.8% of the popular vote to Reagens 47.6% and 200 ECV

You might want to just upload all the images to one imgur album, since the mods only want three pictures a day.

Also, charge your phone. :p

After the disaster that was George Wallace's first term, 1972 is a GOP blowout. Nelson Rockefeller is the Republican nominee and he chooses Reagan as his running mate in order to peel off some conservatives from Wallace. Wallace switches to the Democratic Party mid-way through his term, and Eugene McCarthy runs as a progressive Independent with George McGovern as his running mate, nearly pushing Wallace into third place nationally.

Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)/Ronald Reagan (R-CA) ~ 426 Electoral Votes ~ 47% Popular Vote
George Wallace (D-AL)/Curtis LeMay (D-CA) ~ 66 Electoral Votes ~ 27% Popular Vote
Eugene McCarthy (I-MN)/George McGovern (I-SD) ~ 46 Electoral Votes ~ 25% Popular Vote
How exactly does McCarthy get West Virginia? It seems like that'd be a prime state for Wallace.

How exactly does McCarthy get West Virginia? It seems like that'd be a prime state for Wallace.
It's basically tied between Wallace and McCarthy, with Nixon coming in a distant third. I figured that Wallace would only win the Deep South + one of North Carolina or Tennessee in this scenario.

Thanks once again for all the support guys!

That is simply fantastic!!!
In what other states do the Populists compete in that you haven't already shown?
If you would kindly allow me to request the next map again, then could you please do Mississippi, (I really do love agrarian parties, I don't know why, I just do!)

The other states which I plan to include the Populist party in are Mississippi, Illinoia, and Georgia. And while I definitely do have some good ideas for Mississippi, right now I'm working on a territorial election map and there is already another state I want to do after that. But you asking me what other states the Populists are in reminds me that I should start making country wide maps to show which states the major parties are in, so you'll probably be seeing some of those maps soon!

You actually used the horrible computer drawn minimal area districts that care little for geography, whether it be real or man created... shudders violently internally...

Haha, yeah I tend use those types of districts because in the Seventh Party System timeline nonpartisan redistricting is actually the norm, especially when it comes to swing states like Platte, unlike OTL.

Looking back at Sequoyah and Kansas, I wonder what horrors await West Virginia, Texas, Louisiana, Alaska, and Seward.

Well most of those states you listed are actually going to be pretty sane and levelheaded but if you thought Sequoyah and Kansas were bad wait until you see what sort of ideas I have for Indiana. :p

Well most of those states you listed are actually going to be pretty sane and levelheaded but if you thought Sequoyah and Kansas were bad wait until you see what sort of ideas I have for Indiana. :p
You mentioned that Indiana is pretty much run by the Indiana Standard Oil so I guess similar to Sequoyah, but somehow worse? I am horrified and excited to think about how Indiana could be worse, but I'll wait. The Seventh Party System is great and continues to get better.

From the FNM-verse.

The United States Presidential Election of 1924

First Round
1924.png

/Gustave A. Strebel (National Workers - New York) 232 EV; 43.18% PV
Nicholas M. Butler (Federalist - New York)/Jonathan Bourne Jr. (Federalist - Columbia) 163 EV; 43.91% PV

Joseph Sugarsville (National Workers - Nova Scotia)/ 175 EV; 43.18% PV
Henrik A. Shipstead (Traditional Workers - Minnesota)/Burton K. Wheeler (Traditional Workers - Ward) 16 EV; 6.45% PV
Insert Truth & Lighter (TL-UT)/Insert Truth & Lighter (TL-PL) 4 EV; 1.5%
Nicholas M. Butler (Convention Workers - New York)/Charles A. Levi (Convention Workers - Rhode Island) 0 EV; 4.96%
Result: No victor; Gustave Strebel elected Vice-President of the United States.

Run-Off
1924 Run-Off.png

Nicholas Murray Butler (Federalist Party) 372 EV; 56.6% PV
Joseph Sugarsville (Workers Party) 18 EV; 43.4% PV

Result: Nicholas Butler elected President of the United States.

Not since the Long Sad had the nation been so sharply divided. Perhaps saved by the merits of it's grand size and mostly out of the chaos centers of economic activity, the nation was without a doubt at the point of no return. Like in the late 1850s, America now was caught in a most precarious moment. The extent of government, the very faith of the people in said government, was at a breaking point. Talks of a Second Constitutional Convention, threats of 'traitorous elements' amongst the opposition, and the very real problem of the Free Republics and Free State Movements, left a fervor come Election Day like no other. So much was at stake, it seemed -- because so much was. This fervor, of course, was only pushed by the efforts of Joseph Sugarsville; a person of such a striking nature it seemed only two opinions of him existed: either you blamed him for this whole mess, or you saw him as the only man capable of saving this nation from imminent ruin.

Was Sugarsville the savior this country needed? Or was Joseph, the son of immigrants, reared in quiet Nova Scotia, truly to blame for the state of affairs? Was Joseph Sugarsville guilty of the largest, and perhaps deadliest, racketeering scheme in United States history? Enough wondered it to deny Sugarsville victory in the first round of the Presidential Election. Instead, Nicholas Butler had led the Federalist -- who had back-to-back mass failures at the executive level - into near victory on a campaign calling for government reform and embracing talks of a new Convention. Sugarsville's failure that September to win at the ballot box - despite ample interference on his part, including the controversial expulsion of the Sauk results - would prove to be the fatal wound to the man's aspirations for the Presidency.

In the month following the first round and preceding the second round, Joseph Sugarsville used his control over the BPR and the National Broadcasting Service to attempt to sway the populace. He came just short of denouncing Butler as a traitor to the United States, and outright supported the efforts of the aptly named Sugar Societies in ''doing all that is necessary to protect America." Outright endorsing the Sugar Societies, who had been responsible for mass voter intimidation and violence in the first round, would backfire horribly for the Secretary of War. The free press largely attacked these broadcasts, with many calling Sugarsville "a deranged man" and others comparing him to former President Custer. "If Sugarsville beecomes President he will hang everee American that doesn't wake up when hee says so and doesn't go to sleep when hee says so," wrote one paper; "Joseph Sugarsville; the Most Powerful Man in the Disunit't States of America," read the cover of the October TIME magazine.

In response, the Butler campaign only intensified it's calls to Workers, promising a better future forward, together. A white out campaign was initiated for the second round of the election, with the Butler camp providing hundreds of thousands of white cockades across the country with an intent to break party affiliation. Butler had molded his campaign, though on the back of the Federalist Party, as one of pan-partisan reconciliation for America. With Sugarsville endorsing the Sugar Societies and bringing the rhetoric to a level of American versus American, Butler poised himself as a bastion for peace. A peace that had been missing in America for decades. It would be remiss to think that the violence that occurred in the first round was atypical; in fact, all throughout the 20th Century the elections have been met with ballot violence, a nasty spill-over of the Custer years. Hell, it was election rooted violence that resulted in the assassination of President Du Bois during the Inauguration Day Riot, and it was election related violence that saw President Rabinovich murdered in Kentucky.

But no one this close to becoming President had endorsed and supported it in such a fashion, and at such a consequential moment, as Sugarsville had. Many Workers had already turned for Butler prior to the first round -- following it, the Traditional Workers ticket also endorsed Butler and it seemed the odds would shift away from the Secretary of War and Director of Populace Relations. On Halloween Day that year, Secretary Sugarsville gave his last broadcast prior to the second round of the election. Mysteriously, he failed to appear on air again the four days following, including on November 4th, the date of the second round. On November 2nd, hundreds of soldiers across the states deemed to need "ballot protection" were officially relieved of their duties -- some were called in for questioning. All had been personally selected by Secretary of War Sugarsville.

The election became a rout for Butler, who had promised to defeat the Free Republic bands in Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky, and then lead the nation into a new Constitutional Convention. In the Free States, which were not claiming independence from the United States, but which did not actively recognize the current government, huge rallies for Butler were reported. It was only the day after that news broke that Joseph Sugarsville had been placed under house arrest in the District of Columbia and relieved of his duties as Secretary of War and Director of Populace Relations by President La Guardia. It would be a while longer before the full story broke as to what he had done, but the early reports weren't far off -- conspiracy against the United States.

The day after the run-off, President-elect Butler's residence would be bombed by a band of Sugar Society members. Miraculously, no one would die as the bomb was crudely made, by the ensuing blast severely damaged Butler's legs forcing him to use a wheelchair for vast periods at a time. None the less, the President-elect remained unshaken in his resolve to lead the nation out of it's current catastrophe. He would be quickly placed under substantial Presidential Guard protection.

That December it was revealed that Sugarsville had been involved in a scheme to rig the run-off in key states by placing extremely loyal, personally selected individuals in key posts amongst the ballot protection assignments. His closest advocates denounced the whole affair as falsehoods, calling La Guardia 'a traitor' that had turned for the Federalists. Congress would call both the President and the Commandant-General of the Presidential Guard forward in a special winter session as more and more was revealed, and it would be there that they would provide testimony to a vast conspiracy being planned by the former Secretary of War to overthrow the federal government. Both President La Guardia and Commandant-General Butler testified to this, with the President citing October 29th as the day Commandant-General Butler approached him with information detailing recruitment efforts by Sugarsville in a planned coup in the case of failure at the run-off. The Commandant-General backed the President's claims, and telling the Congressional Committee that Sugarsville had approached him twice following the first round; first on October 2nd, where he had a long, stern discussion with the Commandant-General on the 'sad and perilous state of the nation,'; the second on October 28th, when he brought Butler into a meeting with two other officials, [REDACTED], and revealed his belief that "Butler's camp had infiltrated the state governments and were going to disband the nation following mass rigging," and that President La Guardia had proven to be nothing but an enabler, claiming him to have been aware of such a plan. It was at this meeting that Sugarsville allegedly recruited Butler's support in taking control over the government apparatus following a loss at the run-off.

After the outing of Sugarsville's plans public opinion only tanked further. Without doubt, Sugarsville would be tried and convicted, and perhaps even given the death penalty. An array of investigations would break off from the initial investigation into his appointments as Secretary of War. Was Sugarsville directly in control of the Sugar Societies, too, some wondered. Others went further; was Joseph Sugarsville responsible for the assassination of President Du Bois?

All these questions would remain to the present day. Joseph Sugarsville hung himself on January 1st, 1925, at his home in the District of Columbia while on house arrest awaiting trial. Most of his personal writings yet to be seized had been burned in the family fireplace, as had been a slew of documents. Many of the investigations were dropped, and those that remained open were placed under the strictest of security clearances.

And, in a way, America was calm again. Or, at the very least, calmer. Nicholas Butler, now confined in large part to a wheelchair, would face a difficult challenge ahead of him in the form of the militarized Free Republic bands, and the pending Constitutional Convention. All the Free States would recognize Nicholas Butler as President of the United States following the run-off election, and would cooperate with the La Guardia government in the interim. This would provide a major victory for the Union in it's fight against the White Knight backed Free Republics, and there was hope that America would be back on the right track in no time. Only time will tell.

The other states which I plan to include the Populist party in are Mississippi, Illinoia, and Georgia. And while I definitely do have some good ideas for Mississippi, right now I'm working on a territorial election map and there is already another state I want to do after that. But you asking me what other states the Populists are in reminds me that I should start making country wide maps to show which states the major parties are in, so you'll probably be seeing some of those maps soon!

Haha, yeah I tend use those types of districts because in the Seventh Party System timeline nonpartisan redistricting is actually the norm, especially when it comes to swing states like Platte, unlike OTL.

One question, if it doesn't spoil too much, could you tell me what happened in Vermont. In the Rhode Island instalment you mentioned that Republican leaders launched "a major autopsy of the election to prevent the Ocean State from becoming another Vermont". I'm interested whether Vermont fell to a Vermont only party or the Progressives or maybe someone else.

Wouldn't they just group counties together in most cases though? The borders you've got, if I'm being brutally honest, are absolutely hideous and can't possibly align with any sort of community interest.

The Ghost of James Polk, Butterfly Killer (a cross post).

In a US without the Mexican-American wars, the 1980 presidential election was implausibly similar. President Jimmy Carter of Georgia would be defeated in his re-election bib by Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker, in a landslide in both the popular and electoral vote. Senator Baker would be the first republican to win Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and North Carolina, in a sign of the realignment to come. His victory would propel republicans to 48 out of the 86 senate seats, and 199 out of the 389 house seats, narrow majorities of both houses. Baker would end up serving two terms, and would become widely known as one of the greatest presidents.

1980 election alternate.png

Another few question MoralisticCommunist, if you don't mind too much, as I wouldn't wan't to bother you. In the Alta California instalment you mentioned that:
Hispanos Unidos - The largest racial minority party in America, having overtaken the Black Baptist Bloc in the early 2000s, ... they are not as strong a player as they are in border states such as Arizona or New Mexico, ...
And in the Baja California instalment you also said that:
... however just like Arizona and New Mexico also features a number of parties based on the tres columnas of the Devout, the Workers, and the Bourgeoisie.
Yet in the Arizona instalment you gave no mention to Hispanos Unidos and also implied that they don't exist in New Mexico. So my question is; Did Hispanos Unidos used to exist in this state, and if they didn't exist in this state, or any other columnas state, then how are they able to be bigger than the Black Baptist Bloc?
And secondly, in what states do the columnas system exist, or used to exist? I know from previous instalments that it exists in Arizona and New Mexico, and used to exist in Arizona, but does it exist anywhere else?
And finally; how is Scott County, Tennessee the best or second best county for the Democratic Party in Tennessee, when they were the epitomisation of the Southern Unionist opposition in the Civil War? I mean, how is it possible that Scott County is giving between 60% and 75% to the Democrats, it just doesn't make sense to me, especially given that the Appalachian regions of both states were split off to create the new state of Nickajack, which would have only happened because of their Southern Unionist ideology.
Also, I have been making my own maps of which parties exist in more than one state that you have covered (excluding the Columnas parties), so I might as well post them now, I'll just find the files and then I'll post them.

Last edited:
upload_2017-11-29_21-38-24.png

NI Conservative - More socially conservative and moderate economically than the mainland party, and indeed is dominated by Catholics and is regarded as 'the cornerstone of the Cornerstone Group'.

NI Labour - Also more socially conservative than it's mainland equivalent, but arguably more left wing economically (though these days I guess you'd say they are comfortably in the mainstream). Is distinctly Protestant.

NI Liberal - Clinging on for dear life in a rather Catholic urban seat that doesn't like the agrarian Tories or the evangelist Socialists.

Independent Scots Nationalist - Yes, Ulster Scots is an actual language that should be on everything

Independent - Actually a Republican Nationalist but let him say that out loud.

View attachment 357688

NI Conservative - More socially conservative and moderate economically than the mainland party, and indeed is dominated by Catholics and is regarded as 'the cornerstone of the Cornerstone Group'.

NI Labour - Also more socially conservative than it's mainland equivalent, but arguably more left wing economically (though these days I guess you'd say they are comfortably in the mainstream). Is distinctly Protestant.

NI Liberal - Clinging on for dear life in a rather Catholic urban seat that doesn't like the agrarian Tories or the evangelist Socialists.

Independent Scots Nationalist - Yes, Ulster Scots is an actual language that should be on everything

Independent - Actually a Republican Nationalist but let him say that out loud.
This really is quite lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.