Grey Wolf

Donor
So, if The Netherlands manage to keep Belgium in 1830, is it plausible that they will set up new colonies, especially in Africa or Asia? The Dutch king William I wanted to make The Netherlands a great power again, and he knew that he needed (more) colonies for that.

For example: is it maybe possible that the Dutch will set up a colony near the Cape Colony in Namibia? Or set up a new colony something else?
A stronger Netherlands might have harried the Portuguese out of East Timor, or the British out of Sarawak, or the Spanish out of some of the Southern Philippines which were under the rule of Sulu

Maybe they would also be in the running for all of New Guinea, the BIsmarck Arch etc

And these would just be the colonial pushes that arose out of OTL, but with a stronger presence and an international force seen to be more able to challenge other countries

England, Belgium, France, Germany, Sweden, probably Denmark too. Also not European, but the USA.
Basicly the Netherlands lagged a lot in the 19th and early 20th century. It was one of the last countries in western Europe in which the industrial revolution started for example.
With the Southern Netherlands, Belgium, the United Kingdom would be a significant industrial nation. The combination of early industrialisation in the South and the still existing large trade network of the North and overseas posessions, with one of the largst merchantarines it could have potentential.

A stronger Netherlands might have harried the Portuguese out of East Timor, or the British out of Sarawak, or the Spanish out of some of the Southern Philippines which were under the rule of Sulu

Maybe they would also be in the running for all of New Guinea, the BIsmarck Arch etc

And these would just be the colonial pushes that arose out of OTL, but with a stronger presence and an international force seen to be more able to challenge other countries
All the places would cost a lot of recourches, in a time that not even a third of the Indonesian archipelago was under colonial control.
The Bismarck Archipel is a good example of European possessions more for prestige and some vague geo political idea than commercial interest.
New Guinea, had no colonial interest by the Dutch rulers OTL only after 1948.
The White Rajh did ask for protection at the Dutch gouvernment but they did not showed interest or were pre.occupied with other matters.

Last edited:
With the Southern Netherlands, Belgium, the United Kingdom would be a significant industrial nation. The combination of early industrialisation in the South and the still existing large trade network of the North and overseas posessions, with one of the largst merchantarines it could have potentential.
True, I was talking about OTL not a potential ATL that includes the Walloon industrial potential

I wonder how the protectorate would devolop under the Dutch. I heard they did not like original Dutch adminstration but they might come to support this one due to its protection and due to rising nationalism after their experience with the British
I wonder as well. As long as there was not too much interference by gouvernment clerks. Slavery was only abbolished in 1863 in the Dutch Empire so that could not upset the Afrikaners.. There was no tradition of evangeslist who tried to convert the Africans as was in England, these people did strirred some Afrikaer feelings. The only thing the Afrikaners could upset is the arrival of Catholic colonist and Priest which will be inevatable in a United KIngdom. I do think some Trekkers will remain, not only because of disagrement with the authorities but also it was their way of living, semi nomadic.

The Dutch ending up with all of Timor would be interesting. I also like the idea of a Dutch aligned, Sarawak-like state in New Guinea. Also, maybe with the British on the Cape, the Dutch end up with Walvis Bay and Namibia?

1) Voortrekkers stop moving north, OFS and Transvaal remain native until they become part of a 'Rhodesia' - unlikely
2) Transvaal and OFS are set up, and are either uninterested in Dutch protection, or the British lay down the law, telling the Dutch to not "go overboard" extending protection to these interior Republics
3) British tell the Dutch and Boers - knock yourselves out for all we care. Cape Colony, love it or leave it. We're just here for the route to India. And they tolerate in the middle 19th century any political deals the Boers and Dutch make with each other. Maybe they regret this later with discovery of mineral wealth. Maybe they contrive a way to steal the land, or maybe they leave Dutch and Boer sovereignty formally intact, but do compel these lands into their informal economic empire with an iron vise-like grip.
I mean, the 1870 estimate for the White population of the Orange Free State was 75,000 or so. In the 1840s (The ideal time for the a Boers to offer, and be taken up by the Dutch Government) that must have been closer to 50,000. Assuming 70% of those could be willing to move to this dutch-sponsored Natal (plus some 20,000 that could have gone to the ZAR), couldn't it be possible for Natalia to become >50% white?
It could be an integral part of the Netherlands.

What about Dutch New England? It's not as much of a stretch as some of the others due to Connecticut IOTL being first explored by the Dutch (and the House of Hope being the first European outpost).