Alternate Development of the Balkans and Austria

I have a concept map that made it's way out of my head. And upon looking at it I grew curious. As to how such a world could have developed.

And it leaves me with a question on the Kingdom of Hungary. I'm imagining that TTL Matthias Corvinus is different for three reasons.

1. He has a legitimate son with his first wife, Catherine. Wife and son survive. Allowing Matthias to solidify his reign.
  2. Matthias is not crowned king of Bohemia (for reasons which I do not yet know).
  3. Matthias turns his focus towards Wallachia, Moldavia, and TTL's Ottoman Empire.
This brings the situation in the Balkans largely to Hungary alone. And my question is what this turn of events would mean to Austria, assuming that Ferdinand I still marries Anne of Bohemia.

And would this Austria be able to unify Germany? Or would this Austria be overshadowed as per OTL. If the latter, would this Austria be concede, joining the eventual German Empire, or would such an Austria be strong enough to remain independent. Would this Austria even want to remain independent?

Last edited:
Looking at the life of Corvinus I'd say that the best way to achieve 2 would be to avoid George Podebrady governor and later King of Bohemia affiancing him to his daughter Catherine.
Perhaps Mathias's earlier wife Elizabeth of Celje survives so while George still takes him in friendly hostage there's nothing to provide Matthias with a claim to Bohemia.
Thus later on rather than gaining Bohemia he merely secures the border with the Emperor and is left free to concentrate on the Ottomans

Looking at the life of Corvinus I'd say that the best way to achieve 2 would be to avoid George Podebrady governor and later King of Bohemia affiancing him to his daughter Catherine.
Perhaps Mathias's earlier wife Elizabeth of Celje survives so while George still takes him in friendly hostage there's nothing to provide Matthias with a claim to Bohemia.
Thus later on rather than gaining Bohemia he merely secures the border with the Emperor and is left free to concentrate on the Ottomans
How would this development change the role of the Austrians?