Alternate castings in Film/TV that could've been?

Adam West as James Bond.

When Connery quit the role for the first time in 1969, producer Albert Broccoli, who was friends with West tried to persuade him to take over the role. West declined feeling the part should be played by a Brit. So, George Lazenby got the part in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".
Pity he didn't take it, might not have ended up being typecast and had a longer career.

Another famous one: Eric Stoltz (ended up being replaced by Michael J. Fox) as Marty in the Back to the Future series.
I watched the Netflix series about how movies were made. Eric was not funny and treated this as a dramatic role. He also had the trouble with Marty coming back and just finding his family a more normal family and objected 20 years before the Internet did the same that Marty would not have any memories about growing up in that family. Fox brought humor

There were also a number of pretty strange possible alternate casting choices for LotR:
Nicholas Cage rejected an offer to play Aragorn (while Vin Diesel tried to get the role but didnt), Lucy Lawless got nearly cast as Galadriel, Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart and Sam Neill were in the running for Gandalf and I think there a quite a few more that I forgot.

Cage as Aragorn would have been either passable (the man can act afterall if he wants to) but might also have become a serious catastrophe. I dont know If Lucy Lawless has the acting chops fot that kind of role (I have seen a few episodes of Xena when I was a kid but thats the extent of my knowledge of her). The Gandalf choices might all have been passable (my favourite of them would actually be Sam NeilI) but I think Ian McKellen was ultimately a better choice than any of them.
Sean Connory do not seem to have a big Tolkien fan as he claimed not to understand it. Sam Niell would have been to young. Patrick Stewart would bring just as much gravitas as McKellen and would have been just as good.

Galadriel do not impact the movie much, Lawless could have played her.

While attempting to find an actor to play Neo, Warner Bros decided to try an change Neo to a girl and offered the role to Sandra Bullock who was occupied with other projects.

Al Pacino was also offered the role of Han Solo in Star Wars. But he turned it down because he did not understand the script.
Al Pacino also turned down a role in The Usual Suspects because he didn't want to play a cop again so soon after his then-recent roles as a cop.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
And what a disaster that turned out to be.
Ah, the Marmite of the Bond series!

I go with those who reckon it was one of the best Bond films, probably the best prior to Daniel Craig's arrival.

Best Bond woman ever, script kept very much to the plot in the book, very few gadgets, good villain, great chase & combat scenes...

Lazenby's rather wooden portrayal helped a little by not dominating the screen.

Star Trek has quite a few of these. Probably the most notable of these is Eddie Murphy, who was offered and almost accepted a role as the whale scientist in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Rather than being a romantic interest he would have been a comedic character, playing a crazed scientist who bumbles his way into being part of the crew's plan to rescue the Humpbacks. Murphy was hot off the heels of Beverly Hills Cop, and while fans seemed opposed to the idea, it almost certainly would have made the movie an even bigger success. With a box office of 316 Million BHC was the highest grossing movie of 1984 and had catapulted Murphy to superstardom. While Star Trek IV was the 7th highest grossing film of 1986 and made a very respectable 109 million, that's still only 1/3 of what BHC did. Assuming Murphy pulls even a fraction of his previous fans to see the film it could very easily fight Top Gun, Crocodile Dundee, and Karate Kid II for a spot in the top three highest grossing films of the year.

This would cause some pretty big butterflies for the franchise going forwards. For one, the lighter comedic tone of the movie is vindicated, and the franchise has re-justified getting blockbuster budgets. Star Trek 5 and 6 are probably very different to the ones we got OTL. TNG will also be impacted. One of the main reasons it was greenlit was do to TVH's success. With the movie being an even greater success, it's probably given a bigger budget and maybe even a proper network release.

A decade later a very similar situation occurred when Tom Hanks was almost Zefram Cochrane in Star Trek: First Contact. Hanks had launched himself to superstardom with the success of Forrest Gump (behind only The Lion King as the highest grossing film of 1994). Ultimately chose the pass on the film to direct That Thing You Do! First Contact grossed a decent 92 million, while Forrest Gump made over 683 million. Assuming Hanks puts some extra butts in seats the movie could do a lot better. Probably not top 5 of the year, but top 10 would be pretty realistic.

This probably doesn't have too much of an impact of the series as a whole. It might temporarily raise the TNG movies from mid budget affairs to high budget ones, but I doubt they could keep that up for long. The Berman Era had already started it's death spiral by this point. If Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga get to write the sequels then they'll be at least somewhat better, and Jonathan Frakes probably directs the rest of the series. Assuming ALT!Insurrection and ATL!Nemesis are even marginally more successful there will probably be 1-2 more TNG movies. I'd guess a release in 2004 and one in 2006, giving them six movies like the TOS crew and ending on the franchise's 40th anniversary.

I don't imagine TV viewership numbers would be effected much. Enterprise might be able to squeeze an extra season or two out of itself, but you can only beat a dead horse for so long. The biggest difference here is that 2009 Trek isn't made, as it was only produced because of the failures of the TNG movies. This likely means JJ Abrams never gets his hands on the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.

The character that Kubrick wanted Schwarzenegger to portray was the Animal Mother character.

It's not surprising that Bruce Willis had turned down Full Metal Jacket when you take into consideration that he was busy with commitments to do the TV series Moonlighting at the same time (In fact the first 6 Episodes of the series were to be filmed effectively around the same time the film was to begin filming as well if you take into account the actual filming dates when Full Metal Jacket was filmed according to the IMDB).

Schwarzenegger in the mid-80s might not have been QUITE as iconic as he is now, but I think he'd still be famous enough that he'd awkwardly outshine the collection of unknowns who constituted the rest of the cast. Especially considering that, while symbolically important in the story, ie. he is what Pvt. Pyle would have become had he lived(*), the character of Animal Mother is still mostly second-tier.

(*) And on that score, another issue would be that he doesn't really resemble D'Onofrio the way Baldwin did.

Ah, the Marmite of the Bond series!

I go with those who reckon it was one of the best Bond films, probably the best prior to Daniel Craig's arrival.

Best Bond woman ever, script kept very much to the plot in the book, very few gadgets, good villain, great chase & combat scenes...

Lazenby's rather wooden portrayal helped a little by not dominating the screen.
Some things worked. I'll give you that. I meant more Lazenby than the film as a whole per se.

While attempting to find an actor to play Neo, Warner Bros decided to try an change Neo to a girl and offered the role to Sandra Bullock who was occupied with other projects.
Nope were the Wachozkis that wanted her when WB proposed her as they thought she has the chops for the role, even changing the planned MC gender too, but Bullock sadly was busy

John Lithgow was offered the role of Frasier Crane, but turned it down. I don't think he would've did the part as well as Kelsey Grammer, nor do I think he would've kept the character going for 20 years the way Grammer did. Supposedly Robin Williams was also slated to play The Riddler in a third Burton Batman movie as well.

Fan art circulating at the time of Heath Ledger's passing postulated that the big bad for Christopher Nolan's third Batman Film would be Harley Quinn portrayed by Kristen Bell.

Marlon Brando was contractually obligated to be offered the lead role in what became Die Hard due to his starring rule in The Detective, as the film was based on the sequel to that book. When Brando passed on appearing in the film, Clint Eastwood was offered the part, but turned it down to do another Dirty Harry movie.
It was Frank Sinatra that starred in The Detective not Brando

John Lithgow was offered the role of Frasier Crane, but turned it down. I don't think he would've did the part as well as Kelsey Grammer, nor do I think he would've kept the character going for 20 years the way Grammer did. Supposedly Robin Williams was also slated to play The Riddler in a third Burton Batman movie as well.

Have you ever watched him in "Third Rock From The Sun"? 👍

Just say'in