Alternate castings in Film/TV that could've been?

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but WAS there a love triangle? I thought the relationship between Leia and Luke was platonic as all get-out.
Well there was rivalry for Leia’s attention in the films that didn’t end till the third film when Luke finally found out Leia was sister, which in itself was disturbing, swap Foster in and it’s even more disturbing.

Robert Englund(Freddy Krueger)auditioned for Luke Skywalker. He was turned down but Robert suggested his roommate for the role. His roommate was Mark Hamil.

Robert Englund(Freddy Krueger)auditioned for Luke Skywalker. He was turned down but Robert suggested his roommate for the role. His roommate was Mark Hamil.
That’s interesting. Especially considering that Mark Hamill later after Luke Skywalker heavily favored villainous portrayals, the nastier the better, to the point where Luke Skywalker seems like he’s playing against type in hindsight. It wouldn’t be far off for Hamill to play Freddy Krueger actually, it would be close to The Joker. So maybe in some alternate timeline the roles of Englund and Hamill are in reverse.

Last edited:
Who was Schwarzenegger supposed to be in Full Metal Jacket? I can't really see any role that would suit him.
The character that Kubrick wanted Schwarzenegger to portray was the Animal Mother character.

interesting to see Bruce Willis turned down FMJ too; he would have been great there
It's not surprising that Bruce Willis had turned down Full Metal Jacket when you take into consideration that he was busy with commitments to do the TV series Moonlighting at the same time (In fact the first 6 Episodes of the series were to be filmed effectively around the same time the film was to begin filming as well if you take into account the actual filming dates when Full Metal Jacket was filmed according to the IMDB).

48 Hours could have come out in 1979, with Clint Eastwood as Jack Cates and Richard Pryor as Reggie Hammond. However, Eastwood wanted to do Escape From Alcatraz instead, and the product was shelved for a few years.

That one would've been priceless

A bit of the Clint & Mario Van Peebles (Stitch Jones) comes to mind in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Face/off was written to be a vehicle to pit Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone against each other
Ah what?!

Man that’s a bummer knowing what the movie could’ve been. It was a fun movie for sure, but I’d prefer Stallone/Schwarzenegger to Travolta/Cage any day.

Here's one: Madonna was going to voice Dil Pickles in The Rugrats Movie originally. However, according to tvtropes.org, when Tara Strong recorded her voice for the character, her take on a baby crying was so dead-on that it caused a woman in the room, who had just had a baby, to start lactating!!!

Apparently,both Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti were both offered the role of Michael Scott in The Office. But, both turned down the offer.

There were also a number of pretty strange possible alternate casting choices for LotR:
Nicholas Cage rejected an offer to play Aragorn (while Vin Diesel tried to get the role but didnt), Lucy Lawless got nearly cast as Galadriel, Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart and Sam Neill were in the running for Gandalf and I think there a quite a few more that I forgot.

Cage as Aragorn would have been either passable (the man can act afterall if he wants to) but might also have become a serious catastrophe. I dont know If Lucy Lawless has the acting chops fot that kind of role (I have seen a few episodes of Xena when I was a kid but thats the extent of my knowledge of her). The Gandalf choices might all have been passable (my favourite of them would actually be Sam NeilI) but I think Ian McKellen was ultimately a better choice than any of them.
I can’t imagine Cage or Vin Diesel as Aragorn. Of course OTL, they went with Stuart Townsend before sacking him. It’s a good call, Townsend was too youthful. Would’ve still been good if it was just Aragorn and the 4 hobbits but you needed someone older if you want someone that Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir can take seriously.

Fan art circulating at the time of Heath Ledger's passing postulated that the big bad for Christopher Nolan's third Batman Film would be Harley Quinn portrayed by Kristen Bell.

Marlon Brando was contractually obligated to be offered the lead role in what became Die Hard due to his starring rule in The Detective, as the film was based on the sequel to that book. When Brando passed on appearing in the film, Clint Eastwood was offered the part, but turned it down to do another Dirty Harry movie.

Adam West as James Bond.

When Connery quit the role for the first time in 1969, producer Albert Broccoli, who was friends with West tried to persuade him to take over the role. West declined feeling the part should be played by a Brit. So, George Lazenby got the part in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

Last edited:
Adam West as James Bond.

When Conner quit the role for the first time in 1969, producer Albert Broccoli, who was friends with West tried to persuade him to take over the role. West declined feeling the part should be played by a Brit. So, George Lazenby got the part in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".
Even More respect to mr west here

Adam West as James Bond.

When Connery quit the role for the first time in 1969, producer Albert Broccoli, who was friends with West tried to persuade him to take over the role. West declined feeling the part should be played by a Brit. So, George Lazenby got the part in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".
And what a disaster that turned out to be.