Alternate Capital Cities

The capital of the Republic of Turkey has been Adana since 1934. After losing the first two Greco-Turkish wars so badly, Turkey is reduced to Cilicia and the Anatolian Plateau. With so few intact population centers in the Plateau, Adana, which had been relatively undamaged in the wars, becomes the new capital.

US - Staten Island, NY. Not sure where, but I read that it was considered ceding the entirety of Richmond County to the Feds to serve as a Capital, and it checked off the main box they were looking for (i.e. location relative to a port).

So... Richmond would have been the capital of the United States.

Hmmm...would require geological POD, but perhaps Lisboa is so thoroughly destroyed in 1755 that the Capital moves elsewhere "temporarily", say to Coimbra?

The Israel situation is complicated, but it could have a clearly defined capital if nothing else.

Morocco could easily have its capital at Fez, Marrakesh, or Tangier with the right POD.

Cincinnati would have been possible, perhaps with Kentucky contributing territory as well, given a more thorough trashing of Washington by the British. Much more difficult for an enemy to get to, closer to the center of the country, country, a springboard for western expansion. Part of a grand compromise between Federalists who who get increased/accelerated infrastructure development throughout the country, partly to make the new capital more accessible, with the Democratic-Republicans moving the capital further away from the "elitist" Northeast. When I communicated this thought to Eckener, he took up the idea in his TL Washington Burns.

Venezuela had seven different capitals, caracas being one at least by 5 times, the easiest candidate would be maracay as it had been roughly 30 years under Gomez' government, just avoid the capital being moved back to Caracas after his death in 1936...

Well, if we are talking about Venezuela´s Alternate Capitals there is an interesting list of possible cities, however I am not sure if the country really had 7 different ones (Unless you are counting the capitals of the Province of Venezuela, that existed before the Spanish created the Captaincy General of Venezuela by joining the provinces of Maracaibo, Margarita, Cumaná, Guayana, Trinidad, and Venezuela under the same administrative division.)

If we use the full options of the scenario (that includes the foundation of new cities) I believe that this could be a good list of alternate capitals of Venezuela:

*Valencia (It was declared capital of the Confederation of the United Provinces of Venezuela by the National Congress on January 9, 1812 and it was the provisional capital of the Republic in the years 1830 and 1858.)
*Maracay (As JDF_01 said, it worked as a Capital of Venezuela under the Dictatorship of Juan Vicente Gómez. However, it was a Capital de facto, no de iure. Caracas remained the de iure Capital of the Republic, but in the era of the Gomecismo, the real capital was wherever Gómez would be, and he preferred Maracay.)
*Coro (First capital of the Province of Venezuela. It was the administrative capital from 1527 to 1546. It remained the ecclesiastical capital until 1637.)
*El Tocuyo (Replaced Coro as the Capital of the Province until 1577, when it was replaced by Caracas.)
*Cumaná (The oldest continuously-inhabited, European-established settlement in South America, it was the capital of its own province and department but like Coro or El Tocuyo, it never was the Capital of the whole country.)
*Maracaibo (In the Carta de Jamaica, Simón Bolivar, the Liberator, when he speculated about the fate of New Granada and Venezuela, imagined that the two would unite in a single country, that if it were to become a central republic it would have as capital Maracaibo or a city with the name of Bartolomé de las Casas. Bolivar wrote: "La Nueva Granada se unirá con Venezuela, si llegan a convenirse en formar una república central, cuya capital sea Maracaibo, o una nueva ciudad que, con el nombre de Las Casas (en honor de este héroe de la filantropía), se funde entre los confines de ambos países, en el soberbio puerto de Bahía Honda." Translation: The New Granada will unite with Venezuela, if they agree to form a central republic, whose capital is Maracaibo, or a new city that, under the name of Las Casas (in honor of this hero of philanthropy), merges between the confines of both countries, in the superb port of Bahia Honda. As Cumaná, Maracaibo was the Capital of its own province and department. In fact, unlike Cumaná, Maracaibo was the Capital of a Captaincy General, when the Cádiz Cortes erected the Province of Maracaibo as one, separated from Venezuela, decision revoked by Ferdinand VII once he returned to the throne. However, Maracaibo never was the Capital of the whole country or of an entity called Venezuela.)
*Las Casas City in Bahia Honda (As said above, Bolívar imagined a city built in Bahia Honda under the name of Las Casas to work as the Capital of an Union between Venezuela and New Granada. However, currently Bahia Honda is part of the territory of modern Colombia, not of Venezuela.)

From this list, the last two can work as alternate capitals of Gran Colombia, or even in the case of Bahia Honda, as a capital of modern Colombia (New Granada).

*Note: When I am talking about departments, I am talking about the departments of the Republic of Colombia know today as Gran Colombia.

Last edited:
If Ani wasn't destroyed in the 10th century and still remained an Armenian cultural centre then you've got a potential capital of Armenia right there.

If you somehow make the Catawba or Cherokee stronger, I can see North and South Carolina choosing to keep their colonial capitals at New Bern and Charleston, respectively.

Just a fun little idea I had. Come up with some scenarios to change a country's capitol city, either changing it to another city or founding a new one. Bonus for taking a relatively minor city and raising it to capital status.

An alternate Archives War would mean Texas's capital would be Houston rather than Austin.
POD is very believably small: One woman, an innkeeper named Angelina Eberly, sleeps in on the morning of December 30th, 1842.

Granted even if Smith's men were able to remove the archives from Austin unnoticed, there still would have been a legal debate in the Texas Legislature as to the legality of Houston's orders given to Smith. However, with the archives removed, the residents of Austin would have a weaker case as to why they should be the capital.

A plug for my home city - though not alas where I live - York as capital of GB. Oxford may be central for England, but not the UK. It was still a port until the fifteenth century.

Chicago for the US because I'm feeling bloody-minded.

Athlone would be a good alternative capital for Ireland. It's very close to being the centre of the island, and it's at a strategic point on the River Shannon. Indeed, dissident Republicans have previously suggested it as a site for the capital of a united Ireland.

Athlone would be a good alternative capital for Ireland. It's very close to being the centre of the island, and it's at a strategic point on the River Shannon. Indeed, dissident Republicans have previously suggested it as a site for the capital of a united Ireland.

Jesus, what did Ireland do to deserve having Athlone as the Capital?:p Though fun fact that's where the nuclear bunker for the Government was in the Army barracks there.

Jesus, what did Ireland do to deserve having Athlone as the Capital?:p Though fun fact that's where the nuclear bunker for the Government was in the Army barracks there.
I've never been to Ireland - is Athlone that bad? From pictures it seems a reasonably pleasant riverside town.

If Germany was somehow unified in 1848 it's capital would be Frankfurt.

That's a common misconception, but nevertheless still a misconception.

Had Friedrich Wilhelm IV accepted the crown offered to him by the Nationalversammlung, he would never have given up his seat of government in Berlin for moving to Frankfurt. The members of the assembly obviously knew this, and were eagerly willing to acquiesce to such demand if he had accepted his enthronement as German emperor in return. He eventually refused, but for very different reasons.

The only realistic way to have the German capital in Frankfurt in the aftermath of the 1848-49 revolution would be to have the Radical Republicans under Hecker and Struve gather a much larger militia, achieve a resounding republican victory that leads to the abolition of all monarchies within Germany and subsequently establish the seat of government in Frankfurt.

That, however, is close to being impossible.