Ramontxo

Donor
Take care as I remember it one of them comes with a monster from outer space (a big mouth with tentacles that try to catch you and was part of my nightmares for years)

Driftless

Donor
As long as we're straying to space.....

Dr Who's Spitfires:
0200c-space.jpg

And while I like the Eagle as a transporter, why piddle around?
"Thunderbird Duce on final approach for touch and go cargo drop"
The RN will get its hands on a heavy freighter with the ability to go anywhere in the world in hours without refueling over the dead bodies of every officer in the RAF over the rank of Flying Officer.

The RN will get its hands on a heavy freighter with the ability to go anywhere in the world in hours without refueling over the dead bodies of every officer in the RAF over the rank of Flying Officer.
Its okay with all this additional capability Britain can just expand the RN and Royal Marines and bin the 100 year RAF experiment and reduce the Army to a Part time Guards Brigade for state events in London. ;)

Why? What did you think they used for fuel? Senior Service and all that is actually Senior Vampiric Undead Service after all :)

Its okay with all this additional capability Britain can just expand the RN and Royal Marines and bin the 100 year RAF experiment and reduce the Army to a Part time Guards Brigade for state events in London. ;)
Well they DO need someplace to 'store' the spare parts and odd-n-sods after all :)

Randy

Driftless

Donor

RAF Coastal Command begins replacing its obsolete Avro Ansons with Vickers Nelson maritime patrol aircraft, a version of the Vickers Wellesley bomber. When the maritime patrol version of the Wellington is introduced and named the Nelson II the crews start calling the Mk I the Half Nelson and the Mk II and later versions the Full Nelson.

View attachment 657933
You got me thinking about a twin-engined version of the Wellesly I had seen some years ago:

(from Beyondthesprues.com - a "Whiffy site")

Vickers_Wellesley_zpsc148c362.png

That craft would have also been an interesting plane for long-range maritime work. Maybe modify the panniers for carrying depth charges?

You got me thinking about a twin-engined version of the Wellesly I had seen some years ago:

That craft would have also been an interesting plane for long-range maritime work. Maybe modify the panniers for carrying depth charges?
For early British bombers that is a nice looking plane

That would be something that was built as a partner for the Handley Page Harrow or as an alternative to something like the Fairey Hendon. Very much a mid 1930's aircraft obsolete by the start of the war. I could also see a trimotor version being built.

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned

That 2 engine Wellesley reminds me of something.

View attachment 657995

Get rid of that DRAG, George. the eliminated dead weight and slipstream disruption removed =s 20 knots.

With the Spanish Civil War raging next door Portugal decides its Aerial defences need upgrading to deter either side from using its airspace. As a result they place an order with Vickers for 48 Venom light fighters.

1623280238693.png

1938 With a need to replace their obsolete Nimrod fighters and production for the Portuguese contract coming to end the FAA orders 100 Venoms.

With the Spanish Civil War raging next door Portugal decides its Aerial defences need upgrading to deter either side from using its airspace. As a result they place an order with Vickers for 48 Venom light fighters.

View attachment 657996

1938 With a need to replace their obsolete Nimrod fighters and production for the Portuguese contract coming to end the FAA orders 100 Venoms.

Honest question:. Was the Vickers a better design than the Gloster F5/34? I always liked the lines on the Gloster....

The Gloster probably had more development potential than the smaller, lighter venom. The Venom seems to be more akin to the first Japanese monoplane fighters, just much better armed.

McPherson

Banned
Honest question:. Was the Vickers a better design than the Gloster F5/34? I always liked the lines on the Gloster....

I don't know. The situation requires clarification and context. The designs were land-based and really no better than an A5M Claude which was a carrier based fighter. I would be most unhappy trying to justify "development" further.

I don't know. The situation requires clarification and context. The designs were land-based and really no better than an A5M Claude which was a carrier based fighter. I would be most unhappy trying to justify "development" further.

I think your comparison to the Claude is a little unfair. The Gloster was at least 40mph faster than the Claude with 8 machine guns instead of 2. The Claude even had a fixed undercarriage and open cockpit....

McPherson

Banned
I think your comparison to the Claude is a little unfair. The Gloster was at least 40mph faster than the Claude with 8 machine guns instead of 2. The Claude even had a fixed undercarriage and open cockpit....
The Gloster was very much based off the Gladiator. Also the A5M, I think, could outclimb and outturn the Gloster. As for the Claude being open cockpit? Quite true, but I noticed something.

66268c42a60c1c7d5ee2f87c7f120cf1.jpg

Mitsubishi A5M,"Claude". In 1934, the Imperial Japanese

gloster-f5-34-k5604-9905279_6989.jpg
]
Gloster F5/34 K5604 (9905279) Framed Print. Media Storehouse
I see a semi-open cockpit and a stretched fabric over tubes and stringers barrel for the F5/34?

Last edited:
The Gloster was an entirely fresh design, not a monoplane Gladiator. It had a modern stressed skin monocoque fuselage not the traditional cloth covered stringers over a warren girder frame.

McPherson

Banned
The Gloster was an entirely fresh design, not a monoplane Gladiator. It had a modern stressed skin monocoque fuselage not the traditional cloth covered stringers over a warren girder frame.
I checked. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong (^^^). Still think it is not a good candidate for development.