It was late in '68 and engineers working on the MBT-70 project noted the many problems they encounter. One engineer spoke up with his radical ideas for a fix. The driver would be located in the hull in a supine position. The hull would need to be enlarged but not greatly their was enough space for more air filters and a 1,500-hp engine. The troublesome 20mm gun was replaced with the long used M2HB machine gun. The Shillelagh would eventually be installed but for now th wee British L11 120mm gun would be used, the most powerful anti-tank gun in the West. In the future the Germans could install a smooth bore gun. A benefit of this was that America, Britain and Germany would all use the 120 gun. The space the driver previously used by the driver was now used by a loader. It was agreed to give this version a try while work continued on the primary variant. In '69 the new variant had passed trials and went into production as the M70 Eisenhower. The name to honor the recently deceased former President who commanded the Allied troops in Europe. At the same time the Chieftain was adopted and co-produced by the Israelis. The British Foreign Office tried to cancel the agreement but failed. The Israeli version used the same engine that the Israelis used as their standard, the AVDS-1790-2 and the M2HB as it's turret mounted anti-aircraft gun. Production of the L11 gun also now adopted by America and Germany for the Eisenhower exceeded the production of Chieftains, the Israelis decided to rearm vehicles with the new gun. One such vehicle, the M111 a rearmed M110, was used as a mobile anti-tank gun.