Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

A film based on the book by H.G. Wells made in 1960 focused on the atomic panic directed by George Pal and starring Rod Taylor, Alan Young and Yvette Mimieux.
One of the scenes I wanted to make the timeline of is the scene of why the atomic satellite was made in the first place. I like to think that the POD would be the Berlin Crisis of 1961 escalated into a World War. This led to Partial Test Ban Treaty never being signed, leading to the atomic satellite being researched by the Soviets as shown in the film.

What do you think of it and should I make a timeline?

Even if one were to interpret the events of A Plague Tale: Requiem as the IRL Black Death as seen through the eyes of a teenage girl (Amicia) and/or a young boy (Hugo), by the end of the game...

Provence in general, and Arles and Marseille in particular, have suffered losses far higher than those they suffered IRL, and it's all but implied that an epidemic on the same level of the Justinian Plague and the Black Death will happen in the present day, as a baby is shown that's got the same black marks as Hugo.

The new Candyman movie has an urban legend slasher in an urban area of Chicago. Why put this here? Well, apart from proving magic and the afterlife being real and tangible in a way, the way Candyman works is he kills the person who says his name 5 times in a mirror; however...

At the end of the film, some crooked cops kill a man and tell a witness to either corroborate their story or they'll say the witness was aiding and abetting the person they shot. The witness then says Candyman's name but instead of killing the witness, Candyman killed the cops and told the witness to tell everyone about him. Now imagine if someone were to repeat that process in the presence of those seemingly harming the black community? Even a political rally?

Geon

Donor
A film based on the book by H.G. Wells made in 1960 focused on the atomic panic directed by George Pal and starring Rod Taylor, Alan Young and Yvette Mimieux.
One of the scenes I wanted to make the timeline of is the scene of why the atomic satellite was made in the first place. I like to think that the POD would be the Berlin Crisis of 1961 escalated into a World War. This led to Partial Test Ban Treaty never being signed, leading to the atomic satellite being researched by the Soviets as shown in the film.

What do you think of it and should I make a timeline?
I was and am very fond of this film.

I would love to see a TL done on it. Not just the war but the aftermath. Witness this scene with the Time Traveller listening to "the talking rings".

Two things of note in this scene - the first ring says that the "war between east and west" ended after 326 years. Assuming this is the same war that started in 1961 then the war lasted until 2287 A.D. How could such a war last so long would be interesting to explore.

The second ring says that its recorder is the last who remembers who mankind divided eventually becoming the Morlock and the Eloi. Again, a timeline that shows the evolution of these two subspecies of humanity would be interesting to trace given we are talking 500,000 years of human history.

One slight correction, if I remember correctly the indicator on the time machine said the year was 1967 when the Time Traveller stopped and talked with Shelby. This means the war would have ended in 2293 A.D. Even so, @CrusaderPrime I still think your initial premise with a slight modification or two could work.

Last edited:
I found a mummified Abraham Lincoln in a Confederate Ironclad that's sitting in a dried up African riverbed totally plausible, myself.

And of course, it's perfectly reasonable to have a quarter million Nazis living in Antartica -- most of whom are beautiful women who are "frigid", to justify their not falling instantly for author avatar Dirk Pitt.

In addition, almost every book has massive technological advances take place (one had teleportation, iirc) and no one patents or uses these incredible advances in any future book in the series. NUMA Files was even worse.

Oh, and the gorgeous and intelligent women the heroes meet and ally with are all forgotten in the next book in the series as well.

Last edited:
True story -- I once seriously considered writing a parody of Clive Cussler's books, in the vein of Scary Movie or Airplane! It was going to be called Thriller Novel: A Thrilling Novel of Novel Thrills . The hero would be Mahn Lee O'Manly (the name is explained by him being a "Vietnamese-Irish mix"). He is the director of the "National Unnatural Management Bureau", or NUMB -- an organization devoted to protecting America's supernatural heritage.

Since the supernatural does not actually exist, this is literally the stupidest job in the history of the world. He made the mistake of being right when the president was wrong, and indeed the entire agency exists to make him regret that. He's also the only employee.

I won't go through the plot I worked out, but the mastermind was going to be an evil young earth creationist who has used advanced tissue engineering science to create artificial creatures that look like dinosaurs. He intends to release them into the wild, thus "proving" evolution is fake.

Only Mahn Li O'Manly and the gorgeous supergenius Olympian scientist Haari Baals can save the day! (Haari Baals was once Harry Baals, has since expressed her true gender).

Last edited:
True story -- I once seriously considered writing a parody of Clive Cussler's books, in the vein of Scary Movie or Airplane! It was going to be called Thriller Novel: A Thrilling Novel of Novel Thrills . The hero would be Mahn Lee O'Manly (the name is explained by him being a "Vietnamese-Irish mix"). He is the director of the "National Unnatural Management Bureau", or NUMB -- an organization devoted to protecting America's supernatural heritage.

Since the supernatural does not actually exist, this is literally the stupidest job in the history of the world. He made the mistake of being right when the president was wrong, and indeed the entire agency exists to make him regret that. He's also the only employee.

I won't go through the plot I worked out, but the mastermind was going to be an evil young earth creationist who has used advanced tissue engineering science to create artificial creatures that look like dinosaurs. He intends to release them into the wild, thus "proving" evolution is fake.

Only Man Li O'Manly and the gorgeous supergenius Olympian scientist Haari Baals can save the day! (Haari Baals was once Harry Balls, has since expressed her true gender).
That sounds like a pretty good parody actually.

Only Man Li O'Manly and the gorgeous supergenius Olympian scientist Haari Baals can save the day! (Haari Baals was once Harry Balls, has since expressed her true gender).
Sounds with more logic and sense than the original stories

I was and am very fond of this film.

I would love to see a TL done on it. Not just the war but the aftermath. Witness this scene with the Time Traveller listening to "the talking rings".

Two things of note in this scene - the first ring says that the "war between east and west" ended after 326 years. Assuming this is the same war that started in 1961 then the war lasted until 2287 A.D. How could such a war last so long would be interesting to explore.

The second ring says that its recorder is the last who remembers who mankind divided eventually becoming the Morlock and the Eloi. Again, a timeline that shows the evolution of these two subspecies of humanity would be interesting to trace given we are talking 500,000 years of human history.

One slight correction, if I remember correctly the indicator on the time machine said the year was 1967 when the Time Traveller stopped and talked with Shelby. This means the war would have ended in 2293 A.D. Even so, @CrusaderPrime I still think your initial premise with a slight modification or two could work.
Or what if the traveller had taken Philby with him? Or was dying of radiation poisoning when her arrived in the world od the Eloi and Warlocks.

evil young earth creationist
Not sure if this works, since Cussler seems to have subscribed to the "Christianity good, atheism or other religions bad" theme in his books (cough Alan "convinced atheist" Moran in Deep Six cough) -- this sounds more like Dan Brown to me.

But yea, other than that, I like your idea. I've also thought of doing something with Cussler, though I really have nothing concrete planned out.

Whoa this is post 600

I think I'd cite 11/22/63 as one of the most egregious examples of "putting yourself into writing an alternate history without bothering to document yourself and trying to be as edgelord as possible." The absurdity of the matter is that King claims to have consulted with expert historians to perpetrate this nonsense.

Only in the United States:
* JFK manages to have two terms.
* The Civil Rights Act is not approved.
* George Wallace is appointed President of the United States in response to the disturbances caused by the previous point.
* Chicago is razed to the ground with thermobaric bombs to "subdue" it and "end the black rebellion."
* It is strongly implied that sometime between 1966 and 1979 the United States suffered some form of racial civil war, although no details are given as to how it happened, who the belligerents were, or what the outcome was.
* Regardless, the country somehow remains in one piece, at least until 2000 when Maine votes to join Canada for reasons. Stranger still, Canada agrees to incorporate Maine.
* Ronald Reagan somehow manages to get elected President anyway.
* The population of the United States is so hypermilitaristic that it accepts without complaint that its own government bombards them with weapons of war, launches them to invade Iran for no reason, and dedicates itself to throwing nuclear bombs as if they were firecrackers.
* Islamist terrorists destroyed Miami with a nuclear bomb, without anyone knowing how or why they did it. It is mentioned in passing that this has also happened in more cities that are not named.
* For reasons that are not clear to us, the country is much more polluted than in OTL, to the point where it is necessary to wear masks to go down the street.
* Hillary Clinton is elected President. Least weird thing I've seen here.

In the rest of the world:
* The United States destroyed Hanoi with an atomic bomb. Still, they lost the Vietnam War anyway. It is strongly implied that the United States also went bankrupt trying to support South Vietnam economically.
* Not content with this, Reagan ordered to invade Iran, because in some unspecified way the hostage crisis ended with all the hostages being beheaded live on Iranian TV. It is mentioned that he "at least" did not use nuclear bombs, which implies that all the rest of the arsenal (including chemical weapons) was used.
* For some reason, the Islamist terrorism of Al Qaeda is alive and well and targeting the United States. This is despite the fact that in reality Al Qaeda and its people, who are fanatical Sunni Wahhabis, would no doubt be very happy for the US to do the job of exterminating the Iranian Shiites for them.
* Although all this, coupled with the bombing of its own citizens with weapons of war, shows that this United States is decidedly insane, the rest of the world continues to behave as in OTL. No one cuts ties with the United States and it really seems that everyone is either blissfully ignorant of or supportive of this “heavy hand against the reds and mestizos” policy.
* The Soviet Union continues to act as usual, without making the slightest effort to take advantage of this circumstance to expand, breathe, try to present itself as the non-crazy superpower, or anything... Except that it sinks much harder and faster than in OTL . They didn't even react despite the fact that the United States is laying waste to a country with which they have a direct border.
* Numerous earthquakes, tidal waves and other increasingly brutal catastrophes that are tearing the world apart are mentioned. Hokkaido in particular is mentioned being sunk into the sea.

Last edited:
Indio Black (published internationally as the third episode in the Sabata trilogy, apparently) is a classical Spaghetti Western B-movie published at the last tail end of the Western boom. It has the distinction of being set specifically during the reign of Maximilian in Mexico. Despite him being put in power by the French, the fact that he is an Habsburg means that the whole of Mexico is shown full of Austrian troops and commanders (including the monocle-wearing villain of the movie). As a matter of fact, the official blurb for the movie that's released around speaks of how "Mexico is still a province of the Austrian empire of Maximilian".

Last edited:
Beauty and the Beast (Disney version) - the Enchantress cursed everyone to forget about the Prince, his House, castle, servants etc on Christmas Eve. So a 11 year old Prince of France just vanishes- presumably everyone just thought he died? Or simply slid over his name on documents/family trees/etc.

For 10 years the Prince is gone. Then suddenly a Castle and a household just appear out from the woods along with a 21 year old claiming to be a Prince! With an incredible tale of magic, beasts, and True Love. However, said Prince also wants to marry a Commoner!

How does mid-18thC (approx 1740) France react to suddenly having a new Prince? Whom gets bumped down the pecking order? How does Prince X reintegrate into society? How much of a scandal is Belle? How do the servants families react to 10 year missing members turning back up? Is magic a known thing in this world and thus everyone belives their story if not how does that go down?

Note: The Beast does not have an official name so I have not included it. Adam is not canon.

prince-adam-beast-571798-normal.jpg

Beauty and the Beast (Disney version) - the Enchantress cursed everyone to forget about the Prince, his House, castle, servants etc on Christmas Eve. So a 11 year old Prince of France just vanishes- presumably everyone just thought he died? Or simply slid over his name on documents/family trees/etc.

For 10 years the Prince is gone. Then suddenly a Castle and a household just appear out from the woods along with a 21 year old claiming to be a Prince! With an incredible tale of magic, beasts, and True Love. However, said Prince also wants to marry a Commoner!

How does mid-18thC (approx 1740) France react to suddenly having a new Prince? Whom gets bumped down the pecking order? How does Prince X reintegrate into society? How much of a scandal is Belle? How do the servants families react to 10 year missing members turning back up? Is magic a known thing in this world and thus everyone belives their story if not how does that go down?

Note: The Beast does not have an official name so I have not included it. Adam is not canon.

Consider it also seems to flag super powers, supported by fairies and witches throughout European history as having a "mandate from heaven", stretching from King Arthur to the modern period....

Another Disney animated film, The Little Mermaid has an entire kingdom realize that Mermaids and the lost city of Atlantis exist right off their coastline. Aladdin has genies and magic known to exist in a kingdom somewhere in the Fertile Crescent. The Emperor’s New Groove has a rather large and somewhat advanced empire in South America too.

At least it wasn't the early 19th century. After the Revolution, a suddenly reappeared French Prince would be lucky to survive the week.

Well, morganatic marriage normally means loss of succession rights, which is a rather elegant solution towards how the succession rights work with his sudden return

They don't change cause marrying Belle is effectively abdication.

You're assuming Beast really wants to assume the throne, that's not so sure...

Well, morganatic marriage normally means loss of succession rights, which is a rather elegant solution towards how the succession rights work with his sudden return

They don't change cause marrying Belle is effectively abdication.
Funnily enough, morganatic marriage wasn’t a concept recognized by French law, and for all intents and purposes a royal could marry a subject without losing inheritance rights