Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Garth Ennis' 303 (comic). I think the assasination of President Bush by a rogue Russian soldier in the middle of the War on Terror will have a lot of consequences

ScrewySqrl

Kicked
I've always wondered what the newly independent South of Guns of the South would look like circa 1900.

One where the South did a gradual emancipation, assault rifles and machine guns exist in the 1860s, and the south has a potential monopoly of things like Computers and Air Conditioning

Top Gun: Maverick
What would the consequences of a US strike on an Iranian nuclear plant and airbase be?
Anger, saber rattling, some rockets fired at US troops, and denying the facility had anything to do with nuclear science.
Garth Ennis' 303 (comic). I think the assasination of President Bush by a rogue Russian soldier in the middle of the War on Terror will have a lot of consequences
Suddenly the American people would want to start up a war with Russia.
The Soldier Girls book trilogy is an alternate history series where women are formally allowed to take up combat positions in WW2, which would have a load of consequences.
Was this for all sides in the war?

One of the biggest online shows, Bridgerton is actually an alternate history. It proposes that Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, was actually black. As a result , in ASB fashion, British society is racially blind by the 19th century. #Bridgerton

Seeing as the finale of Shin Godzilla had a frozen but still extremely dangerous monster in the center of Tokyo, I highly doubt the Olympic committee chose this city to host in 2020.

Perhaps Istanbul or Madrid?

Also I'm confident the pm and emperor's official residences and the diet were relocated to a city like Osaka (like in Godzilla X Megaguirus) or Kyoto.

Lastly, covid (if it still occurred) might likely transform that part of Tokyo into a ghost town between all the imminent dangers associated with it.

One of the biggest online shows, Bridgerton is actually an alternate history. It proposes that Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, was actually black. As a result , in ASB fashion, British society is racially blind by the 19th century. #Bridgerton

I've heard meh things about this show, even from the people in my life who usually eat this kind of thing up, but I was impressed when one of them told me it's genuinely acknowledging its own alternate historical nature instead of just doing colourblind casting (which I would have no issue with, I'm just impressed that they took it further than most).

Last edited:
Given the fact that AFAIK they're not even trying I'll be surprised they get it. As far as I recall, the operational plan was to evacuate the United States, and only the United States, into space. Perhaps to some British to be able to say that they help the allies. But that's it. The rest of the planet can die of disgust as far as this America is concerned.
Also, how come no one mentions the Soviet Union, France or China?

To makes matters worse, just consider how terribly racist and anti-Semitic this would seem to the world's population. Some nutjob wants to commit global genocide because of Hiroshima, ignoring the genocide committed against China, Korea, the Philippines, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia. To make matters worse, it wasn't the mass slaughter of Jewish people by Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. For them, it was completely acceptable...

Here is a Norwegian series, entering its second season on HBO-TV, The Beforeigners wherein people from several periods of history are ISOT'd into the present, and are seen unfortunately as refugees :

There's several I can think of:

1) War of the Worlds (1953): how long did it take the Martians to start dying, and when did the last invaders arrive? Then there's picking up the pieces afterwards, likely turmoil in the Soviet Bloc, French and British Colonies declaring independence-and not much that could be done about it, trying to reverse-engineer Martian tech, etc. (and how would we know they were Martians?).

2) Countdown to Looking Glass (1984): Did the Superpowers go down the slippery slope to general war, or did cooler heads prevail?

3) Amerika (1987): What happened after the Battle of Milford? Did the spark of revolution start to spread, despite what the Soviets were hoping?

4) By Dawn's Early Light (1990) Several things here: Did the Soviet Union come apart-and how bloody was it? Fighting in Europe-conventional, nuclear, or a bit of both? Situation in the U.S: Martial Law, perhaps? And how to bring U.S. forces home from overseas to help in rebuilding?

5) V (the TV series, 1984-5): What happened after the cease-fire? Since the Leader initiated the cease-fire, he's understood that the war on Earth has gone very bad, and that there's no chance of an outright victory and his forces are being bled white. Earth's terms for a peace agreement are likely to be very serious from the Visitors' POV, but returning the people who were "processed" into cold sleep for eventual consumption/breeding/slave labor, reparations for the material damage (destroyed cities, infrastructure, etc., and return of the water (if possible). And how would the peace be kept? Earth's military forces are likely to start thinking about turning the Solar System into a fortress so that it never happens again-even if it means using captured/transferred Visitor tech as a basis for going forward.

6) War of the Worlds (2005): Similar to 1953 in many respects: post-invasion conflicts are a certainty, rebuilding is going to take a while, and then there's trying to find out who they were, how long were those tripods buried, and are there more, just waiting? And how fast can we get back into space to at least have some early warning?

7) Battle: Los Angeles (2011): The Battle in L.A. is turning in the Marines' favor, but it's going to be a tough slog. Same thing in the other invasion sites. Now, who are the invaders? Where are they from? We know what they want-our water and us out of the way. Do they have ships in orbit or past the Moon, still watching and waiting? And after the invasion is defeated, what's next?

For it's type, it's a ok show. Wife loves it, but by the end of the second season even she was shouting 'Will you two just &^£# already!'

Interestingly several media outlets that are all for diversity in historic media, worry it might give people 'the wrong idea' about history.

There's several I can think of:

1) War of the Worlds (1953): how long did it take the Martians to start dying, and when did the last invaders arrive? Then there's picking up the pieces afterwards, likely turmoil in the Soviet Bloc, French and British Colonies declaring independence-and not much that could be done about it, trying to reverse-engineer Martian tech, etc. (and how would we know they were Martians?).

2) Countdown to Looking Glass (1984): Did the Superpowers go down the slippery slope to general war, or did cooler heads prevail?

3) Amerika (1987): What happened after the Battle of Milford? Did the spark of revolution start to spread, despite what the Soviets were hoping?

4) By Dawn's Early Light (1990) Several things here: Did the Soviet Union come apart-and how bloody was it? Fighting in Europe-conventional, nuclear, or a bit of both? Situation in the U.S: Martial Law, perhaps? And how to bring U.S. forces home from overseas to help in rebuilding?

5) V (the TV series, 1984-5): What happened after the cease-fire? Since the Leader initiated the cease-fire, he's understood that the war on Earth has gone very bad, and that there's no chance of an outright victory and his forces are being bled white. Earth's terms for a peace agreement are likely to be very serious from the Visitors' POV, but returning the people who were "processed" into cold sleep for eventual consumption/breeding/slave labor, reparations for the material damage (destroyed cities, infrastructure, etc., and return of the water (if possible). And how would the peace be kept? Earth's military forces are likely to start thinking about turning the Solar System into a fortress so that it never happens again-even if it means using captured/transferred Visitor tech as a basis for going forward.

6) War of the Worlds (2005): Similar to 1953 in many respects: post-invasion conflicts are a certainty, rebuilding is going to take a while, and then there's trying to find out who they were, how long were those tripods buried, and are there more, just waiting? And how fast can we get back into space to at least have some early warning?

7) Battle: Los Angeles (2011): The Battle in L.A. is turning in the Marines' favor, but it's going to be a tough slog. Same thing in the other invasion sites. Now, who are the invaders? Where are they from? We know what they want-our water and us out of the way. Do they have ships in orbit or past the Moon, still watching and waiting? And after the invasion is defeated, what's next?
If your a fan of apocalyptic nuclear TV try Threads, it's on YouTube in full, as well as lots of clips. Be warned its graphic for its time 1983 and it's very dark. It fairly unique it shows the lead up, the war and the aftermath for a decade or so around Sheffield UK.

Central ATL nuclear war breaks out after a Soviet invasion of Iran.

Also, how come no one mentions the Soviet Union, France or China?

To makes matters worse, just consider how terribly racist and anti-Semitic this would seem to the world's population. Some nutjob wants to commit global genocide because of Hiroshima, ignoring the genocide committed against China, Korea, the Philippines, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia. To make matters worse, it wasn't the mass slaughter of Jewish people by Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. For them, it was completely acceptable...
Well, let's consider that it's the world of 1952, so racism and anti-Semitism were still well-regarded. But yes, it sounds horrible anyway.

I would also add that the guy suffered from a raging American-centrism as evidenced in step 3 of his plan.

It's even worse if we consider what the guy's operational plan was, which consists of the following steps:

1- The meteorite hits the United States.
2- The United States suffers a brutal crisis as a result of the impact.
3- The world immediately forgets its differences and throws all its weight into coming to the aid of a damaged and desperate America for help.
4- This is somehow interpreted as a punishment from God for World War II.
5- ??????
6- Globalized and pacifist utopia where the United Nations is the Government of a United Earth and everything is perfect.

But what we got instead was:

1- The meteorite hits the United States.
2- The United States suffers minor damage while the rest of the world suffers progressively more and more brutal catastrophes because "a globalized world, what affects one fucks all the others."
3- No one comes to the aid of the United States. Moreover, since it is the country that has been left in the best situation, it is supposed to be the United States that should come to the aid of the others. Of course, they do NOT.
4- The Cold War not only does not stop, but it intensifies, with the United States doing everything it can to ensure that the Eastern Bloc cannot get out of the crisis.
5- No one considers this to be a divine punishment at all. Moreover, everyone considers it a totally random event that was only a matter of time before it happened (ignoring trifles such as the fact that in 1952 astronomical knowledge was not that deep).
6- No one ever considers the possibility of putting the United Nations in charge of the world. On the contrary, putting the United States in charge of the world is more likely to be considered first.

Curiously the author, and also the guy who launches the meteorite, are both American. So I guess is self-hate?
In my experience, some of the most virulent, hypocritical anti-Westerners are ones from Western nations themselves. With America in particular it's often a reflection of American exceptionalism, with it being instead only America can do bad and everyone else is just a victim of it. Though this veering into chat.

Ahem, to keep this from veering into chat territory, I think all of Clive Cussler's books involve an ATL that's the least bit weird...

To cite the examples I remember right now:

-The United States has Canada.
-The United States is called "United States of Canada".
-This spawn of a country has a practically impenetrable anti-missile shield.
-They also have a federal oceanographic agency... whose agents spend more time doing fucking CIA work than researching the oceans.
-They rescued the Titanic in 1988. This was helped because in this TL the Titanic sank in one piece instead of breaking apart.
-The USSR only continues to function because of the enormous number of American agents in the KGB pretending that everything is normal.
-Japan built nukes as part of a plan to sink the US economy. No one has done anything to take revenge.
-There are tons of Confederate gold coins running around West Africa.
-Kubilai Khan has his grave in Hawaii. Interestingly, no one in China has protested or demanded that it be returned.
-Absurdly OP technology that is never mentioned again.
-The Library of Alexandria is in Texas...

and I could go on but I think this sample is enough.

I feel Django Unchained and Hateful 8 cover the possibility of an interesting alt Civil War with it apparently starting a year earlier (probably due to Django's actions in the first film).