Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho: Relations between the United States and Japan are so extremely bad that the USSR can simply annex Hokkaido in 1974 without anyone lifting a finger to stop it. Also somehow the USSR possesses enough advanced technology to build what can only be described as a massive space elevator in the middle of Hokkaido. Tower that manages to consume the entire island. Although it does not matter much, because the United States, for reasons never clarified, has started World War III by directly attacking the Soviet Union.

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World, or just Yu-no (I refuse to put the name in Japanese, it's stupidly long): Japan, and maybe the world, uses a different number system than Arabic, and apparently there are cycles of catastrophes every 400 years. It is also possible that the Japanese are partially beings from another damn dimension.

War of the Worlds. Humanity now has plenty of new alien toys, mostly military gear, to disassemble and reverse engineer. As well as the knowledge that aliens are out there. And they are aggressive. And the only thing that can protect us from them is biological warfare.

Battleship. The fact that the United States and Japan have managed to contain an alien invasion should lead to less suspicion that Japan is arming itself, and the popularity of the Missouri would skyrocket around the world.

Also somehow the USSR possesses enough advanced technology to build what can only be described as a massive space elevator in the middle of Hokkaido. Tower that manages to consume the entire island.
From all the hypotheticals possible locations where to build one, I should say that I never 'd thought about that Hokkaido being one of them...

From all the hypotheticals possible locations where to build one, I should say that I never 'd thought about that Hokkaido being one of them...
My theory is that this was simply because the writer was faced with the problem that he needed it to be a Soviet artifact built in Japan and there was simply no realistic way for the USSR to keep, say, Kyushu.

Although I think that from the moment you try to build a damn space elevator to use it as a matter exchange generator with parallel universes, the realism doesn't matter a bit for you.

Geon

Donor
Here's a thought. Tom Clancy's EndWar. I never played it but the premise sounds interesting.

So,, here is a thought. Looking at the three factions (U.S..; European Federation; U.S.S.R.) and assuming a victory scenario for one of them, what is the world like with a U.S. victory, EF victory, or Russian victory respecively?

okkupert_tv_series-973030171-mmed.jpg

The 2015 dystopic Occupied/Okkupert (TV Series) seems that would have pretty dramatic and far reaching Althistorical consequences. And,chiefly among them,IMO, would be the virtual dissolution, as matter of fact, of the NATO and/or the Atlantic/European mutual security/defense treaties agreements as well as the US foreign defense policy:
In the near future, the Russian army, with the approval of the European Union, begins the invasion and occupation of Norway, a country that has paralyzed oil and gas production due to the climate change crisis due to lack of resources. With this action, the Russian Administration intends to ensure access to oil and gas exploitation in the region.

okkupert_tv_series-973030171-mmed.jpg

The 2015 dystopic Occupied/Okkupert (TV Series) seems that would have pretty dramatic and far reaching Althistorical consequences. And,chiefly among them,IMO, would be the virtual dissolution, as matter of fact, of the NATO and/or the Atlantic/European mutual security/defense treaties agreements as well as the US foreign defense policy:

I remember criticizing that premise as completely ASB. I'm honestly not sure which of the underlying assumptions strikes me as more idiotic:

1) The EU would be desperate enough for oil to get mad at Norway for shutting down its oil fields.

2) The EU would decide that the best solution to this is to overthrow the Norwegian government, instead of trying to negotiate an alternative, find another buyer, or something similar.

3) The EU would decide that instead of invading Norway themselves, it's a good idea to outsource the job to Russia.

4) Russia would decide to do the EU this favor literally for nothing, eating all the "badboy" themselves. Instead of, I don't know, maybe sell their oil to the EU?

5) Russia somehow manages to stage a successful invasion of Norway. Which requires ignoring minutiae like they'd have to transport the entire expeditionary force by sea (through the bloody Arctic, no less), or go through Sweden and Finland (that's just not going to happen).

In terms of plausibility, you could tell me that Germany staged the Unspeakable Marine Mammal, and it's just as believable.

6) Assuming that, by some ASB miracle, these five assumptions are achieved…the reaction of the rest of the world is to just sit back and watch. Nobody does anything.

Except because for some reason Europe suddenly does a 180° turn, aligns 200% with Norway, and starts demanding Russia withdraw its troops from Norway.

Last edited:
I remember criticizing that premise as completely ASB. I'm honestly not sure which of the underlying assumptions strikes me as more idiotic:

1) The EU would be desperate enough for oil to get mad at Norway for shutting down its oil fields.

2) The EU would decide that the best solution to this is to overthrow the Norwegian government, instead of trying to negotiate an alternative, find another buyer, or something similar.

3) The EU would decide that instead of invading Norway themselves, it's a good idea to outsource the job to Russia.

4) Russia would decide to do the EU this favor literally for nothing, eating all the "badboy" themselves. Instead of, I don't know, maybe sell their oil to the EU?

5) Russia somehow manages to stage a successful invasion of Norway. Which requires ignoring minutiae like they'd have to transport the entire expeditionary force by sea (through the bloody Arctic, no less), or go through Sweden and Finland (that's just not going to happen).

In terms of plausibility, you could tell me that Germany staged the Unspeakable Marine Mammal, and it's just as believable.

6) Assuming that, by some ASB miracle, these five assumptions are achieved…the reaction of the rest of the world is to just sit back and watch. Nobody does anything.
Yeah, this series screenwriters/producers seems from the kind (like the Red Dawn ones), that wouldn't let that little thing as realism or plausibility would be in their way to develop their idea/premise...

Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho: Relations between the United States and Japan are so extremely bad that the USSR can simply annex Hokkaido in 1974 without anyone lifting a finger to stop it. Also somehow the USSR possesses enough advanced technology to build what can only be described as a massive space elevator in the middle of Hokkaido. Tower that manages to consume the entire island. Although it does not matter much, because the United States, for reasons never clarified, has started World War III by directly attacking the Soviet Union.

War of the Worlds. Humanity now has plenty of new alien toys, mostly military gear, to disassemble and reverse engineer. As well as the knowledge that aliens are out there. And they are aggressive. And the only thing that can protect us from them is biological warfare.
THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD THAT KNOW OF "THE PLACE PROMISED IN OUR EARLY DAYS"!!

For war of the worlds there actually is a midling animated movie exploring exactly that premise:

THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD THAT KNOW OF "THE PLACE PROMISED IN OUR EARLY DAYS"!!

For war of the worlds there actually is a midling animated movie exploring exactly that premise:
I honestly didn't count on finding someone else who knew the movie existed. I looked it up myself just because someone here mentioned it in another thread, and the description they gave seemed interesting to me. (Perhaps it was you who mentioned it).

Here is the latest HBO series DMZ , based on the DC/Vertigo title, which has Manhattan transformed into a demilitarized zone, hence the title, and yes it's an ATL, with the POD being a more radical reaction to 9/11 and even worse reaction to the 2008 election of Barack Obama:

Here is the latest HBO series DMZ , based on the DC/Vertigo title, which has Manhattan transformed into a demilitarized zone, hence the title, and yes it's an ATL, with the POD being a more radical reaction to 9/11 and even worse reaction to the 2008 election of Barack Obama:

Whoa nice I had no idea this was a thing.