Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

One of my personal favourites, which I may at some stage turn into a oneshot, is the modern 'Day the Earth Stood Still'. The movie itself I didn't care for but it ends on a fascinating premise - what happens now that all electrical equipment is gone, presumably forever?

One of my personal favourites, which I may at some stage turn into a oneshot, is the modern 'Day the Earth Stood Still'. The movie itself I didn't care for but it ends on a fascinating premise - what happens now that all electrical equipment is gone, presumably forever?
Billions starve over the next few years. Since it happened during the winter thousands more (at least) die from hypothermia in the first winter. The resulting migration, assuming that the events happen in December as this was the month the movie released, would result in more deaths as well.

Expect society to breakdown relatively quickly as there are no cars or means of communication over long distances. I can’t imagine the power would stay dead forever, there would be engineers, mechanics, and the like working feverishly to restore what they could. Even if it means rebuilding and moving parts by hand and using horses. Ironically, coal plants might be some of the first to come back on. I’m guessing even hydro plants went down too.

More analog machinery would still work but the world just got thrown back at least a couple centuries except most everyone doesn’t know how to survive in that way. I guess it’s better than killing everyone and the planet itself won’t be as polluted for awhile?

Consider that Starlog Magazine actually did an interesting piece based on the 1951 film, which showed how the Cold War would have been changed, had the Truman Administration had to deal with Gort and Klaatu,..

Consider that Starlog Magazine actually did an interesting piece based on the 1951 film, which showed how the Cold War would have been changed, had the Truman Administration had to deal with Gort and Klaatu,..

You got a link? Would love to see it!

It would make sense from a allegorical perspective

but completely falls apart when you remember that EVERYONE experienced this all over the world with water being heavily hinted to be the reason why the military triumphed

“Strange weakness” as the radio put it

the sheer absurdity of the situation would break the minds of humanity
Describing it as a "strange weakness" makes more sense if it was holy water specifically, and the weakness was discovered in "three cities in the Middle East" which seems like a reference to Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and Mecca and the three major Abrahamic religions.

In case you can’t find it, do you recall any of the major points on what they said?
Well, some of the main bullet points were:

* Korean War is halted less than a year into the conflict.
* Nuclear weapons treaties are implemented to end the arms buildup.
* Stalin and other other world leaders voice concerns over the fact that rather land at the United Nations in NYC, Moscow, or London, they chose Washington D.C., and recognized Truman as a world leader,...
*Space programs by c. 12 countries, as well as a United Nations space agency,....
* Rudimentary medical advances based on ideas hinted by Klaatu,...
* Carl Sagan making the case for relations with the Galactic Federation,...

Well, some of the main bullet points were:

* Korean War is halted less than a year into the conflict.
* Nuclear weapons treaties are implemented to end the arms buildup.
* Stalin and other other world leaders voice concerns over the fact that rather land at the United Nations in NYC, Moscow, or London, they chose Washington D.C., and recognized Truman as a world leader,...
*Space programs by c. 12 countries, as well as a United Nations space agency,....
* Rudimentary medical advances based on ideas hinted by Klaatu,...
* Carl Sagan making the case for relations with the Galactic Federation,...
Even if klaatu and the robot NEVER come back…the sheer impact of these changes will significantly alter the course of humanity

12 space agencies

the end of the Cold War

the arms build-up ceased

Those alone would lead to a very different world

And now, the 2015 Russian film, Getting Fat in a Healthy Way; where anything under 120 kg is threatened by the possibility of floating off into space, after an American space probe disaster:

Last edited:
Battlefield 3

The following events happen in the game's alternate 2014

The Islamic Republic of Iran is toppled by a Iranian paramilitary organization called the PLR, leading to a US invasion.

Paris is nuked by the PLR using a suitcase bomb, with Russia being blamed because the suitcase nukes were Russian in origin. 80,000 people are killed.

Depending on how fast the player is, New York is also nuked.

The ending of inglorious bastards allows for himmler to take control of nazi Germany

he wasn’t popular by the people or the military at the best of times

The ending of inglorious bastards allows for himmler to take control of nazi Germany

he wasn’t popular by the people or the military at the best of times
I always found it odd that no one thought about what to do with Himmler after Hitler and the others were killed.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Himmler had a Hitler lookalike rant about his death being a hoax and then carry on with the war.

FEpJp_yXsAsQ5jJ

EZe9OC9WoAEdM2O.jpg

An Ent Tree? L'Ulivo Pensieroso (the Thinking Olive Tree) in Puglia, Italy.

The Ds Heckenburg series, with Stalkers and The Killing Club prominent.

Up to a hundred people were "customers" for a human trafficking gang who kidnapped women for torture, rape and murder. The dude in charge gets caught but is murdered by his gang after they capture him while he's being transferred, before going on a rampage which ends with their customers' list being leaked (a disgraced bishop being one of them and most of them likely wealthy). Oh, and a member high in the police worked as a double agent.

This is going to make Epstein look like small fry.

Last edited:
I always wondered what the aftermath of Mars Attacks! would look like.

All of congress is dead, the executive branch wiped out to the point that the daughter of the last president is handing out medals. A whole bunch of Martian ships have crash landed all over the world, with lots of interesting new technology and toys to study. Oh, and apparently aliens can be killed by bad music.