Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) In the film it is stated that the amount of oil found on the Clampett property was equal to Kuwait's . I always wondered what the geopolitical effects would have been of a domestic oil strike of that size in October 1993, when the film was released.

I always wondered what the geopolitical effects would have been of a domestic oil strike of that size in October 1993, when the film was released.
Well, aside to would increase the US oil reserves, at international level, (imo) not would be so much 'geopolitical changes'... So, I don't think that this fictitious US oil company would want to flood the market, crashing it... Given that, I would suppose that the bigger 'changes' would be that Arkansas would become in the bigger crude oil-producing US state with the (internal) migration and economical consequences... Thus altering, at least at middle term the State demography and of course the State would live through an economic boom caused and 'fueled' for those seemingly immense oil reserves...

The sheer amount of geographical changes affected to the Earth in Steven Universe during the attempted Gem colonisation.

1) A massive crater in Central Russia that has effectively created an eighth ocean reaching down to central asia. The changes alone there are too many to count.
2) The entirety of Eastern Africa has been sheared off and has collided with South America leaving a chain of islands down the coast of Africa and across the south atlantic, more that likely the genealogy of South America is vastly different.
3) Central America is accipelo, precludes any investment in a North Western passage.
4) India is also an accipelo
5) Eastern China and Australia have also been altered
That's in Siberia. Still, it's existence would change the fundamental border between Europe and Asia, with the Urals unlikely to be considered a major divide ITTL.

I think about this every time I see a slasher or ghost or other horror movie. What would be the socio-political ramifications if, say for example, it was discovered that there was an undead serial killer murdering teenagers in their dreams? What would the government do about it? How would people react?

I've only seen parts of the movie, but I remember that Tom Cruise's character fights a couple of enemy planes and wins against them.
This should have caused an international crisis, especially since it occurred during the Cold War. Based on what I could find, the enemy was intended to be North Koreans, but it was never explicitly stated. Apparently the movie ends in a positive mood without any realization that the U.S. just got closer to starting WWIII (maybe?).

IIRC, what happened in Top Gun was basically an analog to the Mayaguez or the Pueblo incident except with the USN having a dog fight. In the movie, a freighter was captured in international waters and the USN comes to the rescue. The nation that tries to grab the freighter then goes after the carrier hence the dog fight. Remember, neither the Pueblo or the Mayaguez caused WWIII, although the Pueblo probably came closer.

What's about the aftermath scenario from Dante’s Peak and/or Volcano? Because, if letting aside, for this thread sake, their plot's premise extreme unlikeness... The post effects from the movies Volcanic eruptions from this magnitude not only would have lets get their effects no only in California or the US but in the whole world...

Transformers, despite being a two hour long ad, was pretty thorough when showing how the government during the Bush-era would react to an invasion of giant killer death machines that disguise themselves as sports cars.

Last edited:
Contagion - A deadly and highly virulent strain of influenza has swept the world; tens of millions are dead (minimum), and the global economy has probably cratered. The pandemic has probably caused the near-collapse of international trade, which would lead to famine, civil unrest, and other good things (especially in poorer countries). Even in developed countries, people would still be dependent on government food handouts for a while, and most countries would likely remain under a state of martial law. All the above would probably kill as many people as the initial pandemic did.

What about Coming to America? Zamunda appears to be a European-style monarchy where the royal family is still widely beloved, strong, economically powerful etc. We could choose to believe that life for non-palace Zamundans is crappy but it’s more interesting if they actually have first-world living conditions.

So basically how do we get an African country with a monarchy with first-world living conditions and what are the consequences of Prince Joffer’s marriage to an American woman?

Sky One's Dream Team had a few alternate football scenarios.
S1: 1997-98: Harchester are shown beating Arsenal 2-0 in the FA Cup, meaning no league and cup double for Arsene Wenger.
S2: 1998-99: Harchester win the FA Cup, so no English club has won the treble yet. More importantly, a player being assassinated by a sniper at Wembley would have massive implications.
S3: 1999-00: The final day of the season sees Harchester and Bradford (who stayed up IOTL) fighting for safety. (An unofficial website handwaved it by mentioning Wimbledon losing at Everton)
S6: 2002-03: The bottom four are Harchester, Bolton, West Brom and West Ham, rather than Sunderland. In addition, Harchester are told 2-3 days before the FA Cup Final that they can play either their final league game (which they need to win to stay up) or the Cup Final. I wonder how Chelsea (the side they beat in the semis) got all the cup final tickets on sale and sent out in three days...
S7: 2003-04: The consequences of a Premiership side nearly being folded in mid-season at the same time that Leeds were imploding would likely lead to the FA implementing strict ownership rules and probably averting the demise of Portsmouth. In addition, Harchester finish fourth ahead of Liverpool and Newcastle, so Istanbul doesn't happen.
S8: 2004-05: With Barcelona winning their CL group, the bad-tempered R16 tie against Chelsea doesn't happen. Arsenal are shown to beat Harchester in the quarter-final, my headcanon is that the semifinals saw Arsenal face Barca and Milan face Chelsea, with Milan beating Barca in the final. The biggest butterfly, however, is caused by the ex-manager driving his car into the team coach after the playoff final, blowing it up and killing himself along with much of the team. Presumably, this would lead to MASSIVE changes in stadium security.

The Eagle Has Landed - As it was implied in the book, Jack Higgins wrote the story as if he had researched a real event that was covered up. I have always wonder about how would the British and American Governments would've reacted to the revelation of the failed German attempt to kidnap Winston Churchill and the subsequent battle between the German Commandos and the US Army Rangers in an English town?

Consider the many changes implied by Jackie Chan's / Owen Wilson's Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights. You have a Chinese princess marrying a former bodyguard in California, with the bodyguard being formally elected as Sheriff as "John Wang" (Wang being pronounced "Wayne"), China's Emperor meeting Queen Victoria in 1888, and a failed assassination attempt which would exceed the attempt by Guy Fawkes:

Consider the many changes implied by Jackie Chan's / Owen Wilson's Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights. You have a Chinese princess marrying a former bodyguard in California, with the bodyguard being formally elected as Sheriff as "John Wang" (Wang being pronounced "Wayne"), China's Emperor meeting Queen Victoria in 1888, and a failed assassination attempt which would exceed the attempt by Guy Fawkes
Not only that but the fiercely anti-foreign Boxers were in a secret pact with an English Lord who was 10th in line to the throne of England, and both conspired to commit the assassination plot.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a rather clear one by virtue of the film's ending. That said, it DOES raise some questions about what will happen in the alternate Hollywood. For instance, what does Sharon Tate do thereafter? What about Roman Polanski? Do the rest of the Manson family get killed or arrested?
I assume Sharon would give birth, either retiring from acting for a short while or continuing to act, maybe even in a film with Rick Dalton. Sharon may or may not ditch Polanski, maybe even getting back together with Jay Sebring.
As for the Manson family, I could see them getting arrested much quicker. Keep in mind that there are now witnesses, both Daltons wife and Cliff Booth, who even knew who they were, and could likely identify the rest of them.
Rick and Cliff are likely to be seen as heroes in the media, especially the more conservative "Don't tread on me" types, like the NRA or flamethrower enthusiast.

I'd be curious what kind of political clusterfuck would happen if CK Walker's Borrasca actually happened.
I believe that someone actually made a thread on it here on AH.com. I think that the consensus was that massive distrust in government occurred and all across the country people began openly lynching suspected criminals again while the FBI was given enhanced powers in the aftermath of the incident.