Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Battle Los Angeles comes to mind, considering that the US troops basically won by accident.
By the end of that movie they may have beaten back that one beachhead but there are still dozens more around the world that are more successful and the human casualties was in the millions for only a few days into war.

Last edited:
Well, about political clusterfuck, one of the first movies that comes to mind it's the 2005's Assault on Precinct 13.. Cause, I don't think that's either the night long combat and the widespread corruption that allowed, by movie plot, could be avoided that it would make national and international headlines...and/or even a Federal intervention/investigation of the whole incident...

Last edited:
Consider the movie the last 4 minutes of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey establishes a utopian timeline after 1991, complete with a Mars landing...

Crimson Tide always one of my favourite submarine films. The anti-nukes movement would have a field day if those events ever came to light.

The sheer amount of geographical changes affected to the Earth in Steven Universe during the attempted Gem colonisation.

1) A massive crater in Central Russia that has effectively created an eighth ocean reaching down to central asia. The changes alone there are too many to count.
2) The entirety of Eastern Africa has been sheared off and has collided with South America leaving a chain of islands down the coast of Africa and across the south atlantic, more that likely the genealogy of South America is vastly different.
3) Central America is accipelo, precludes any investment in a North Western passage.
4) India is also an accipelo
5) Eastern China and Australia have also been altered
I had huge problems with SU because of that. Human history should be completely different - assuming humans even happened - with an Earth like that... and yet the United States is a great power with a president in the same spot and pretty much like it is today, despite cutesy things like "oh, Hollywood is in Kansas." Doesn't help there's a similar tech level considering one of the writers said WWII didn't happen in this universe.

I got around it by just ignoring all this. It's not TOO hard to do - usually.

Lethal Weapon 2 would have fascinating implications for South African/US relations considering the South African Ambassador was part of a drug smuggling operation and attempted to murder two LAPD officers, one of whom was black, and their families.

Back to the Future Part II predicted in 2015:

The Cubs-Miami World Series.
the Miami team is unnamed but has a mascot of a Gator. The Florida Gators is a University team but let's suppose that team made it to the extent of becoming a Major Team. IOTL the Florida Marlins were formed in 1993 but became the Miami Marlins in 2012. Let's say that doesn't happen and the Florida Gators become the Miami Gators and make it to the World Series. This actually makes somewhat more sense since the Marlins and the Cubs are both National League Teams. This implies the Gators made it. The Cubs meanwhile don't lose the NLDS to the New York Mets

Princess Diana being Queen.
This would require Princess Diana never divorcing and obviously never dying. It would also mean the Queen either abdicates or dies in a tragic accident.

Female President
The President being a woman(presumably Hilary Clinton if we follow any sort of real world logic, so this would mean Clinton most likely won in 2008 but could have also won in 2012. The newspaper has her stating that she is tired, either implying she may not seek reelection or will be happy to be leaving.

Pontiac still exists
OTL it became defunct in 2010. Also implies a Toyota Dealership switched to selling American cars. Maybe Toyota went under instead.

Jaws 19
The last Jaws film was Jaws 4 and it bombed horribly. Jaws 4 was already out by the time Back to the Future Part II was released. This would mean 15 Jaws sequels in 28 years. The Sequels must have been very well received for there to be so many unless someone is just obsessed with making the sequels. Jaws 19 is apparently not that good since the newspaper has a review that says "Jaws 19 has no bite".

I'd be curious what kind of political clusterfuck would happen if CK Walker's Borrasca actually happened.
I believe that someone actually made a thread on it here on AH.com. I think that the consensus was that massive distrust in government occurred and all across the country people began openly lynching suspected criminals again while the FBI was given enhanced powers in the aftermath of the incident.
Found the thread, but I unfortunately doubt the reaction would be as optimistic as predicted three years ago, back when we hadn't seen how something similar would play out. More likely, Sheriff Walker 'commits suicide' in prison before naming his wealthy and connected accomplices while the cell camera malfunctions, then the entire thing gets memoryholed to the point where anyone still talking about it is considered a 'conspiracy theorist'. There are lists of close contacts, but law enforcement doesn't do anything and nobody cares enough to become vigilantes.

Katsuhiro Otomo's Steamboy from 2004 is already a bit of an alternate history to begin with, but the collapse of a flying castle along a massive flower of ice on the Thames River in London in 1866 is going to be rather "interesting". The end credits sequence also suggests the main character Ray to continue his "steam-powered flying superhero" schtick -- also, provided my understanding of the appearance of Scarlett O'Hara with a red monoplane is correct, there will be a WWI-esque Great War fought in ca. two decades' time that features gas warfare, zeppelins, paratroopers and such.

...you know, this might actually make an interesting ASB timeline. :hushedface:

Last edited:
The Steven King novel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt_Pupil, has a teenager with psychopathic tendencies losing it after corresponding with a former Nazi. The fact an outwardly normal teen became a serial killer who killed multiple homeless people over several years before going on a 5 hour mass shooting spree after being caught; he had started visiting a hidden (and unrepentant) former Death Camp guard, in the 1970s, would have had massive impacts. It would be harder to blame mass shootings after that on violent media instead of far right radicalisation unlike OTL.

Last edited:
Good thinking on the Apt Pupil thing, but I am somewhat confused by your last point. Most shootings tend to be caused by psycopathic behaviour gone out of control and other sorts of mental ilness. Politically motivates shootings are way rarer.

More likely what would happen is the media trying to capitalize on the tradgedy and start a neo-nazi panic similar to the satanic panic while missing the point about how someone should have noticed the signs of a deranged psyche on the making. Think Columbine aftermatch except instead of Marlyn Mason and Videogames it's anything nordic pagan and "fascist" (with what constitutes said fascism varying wildly)

What about this pre 9/11 movie:
Siege_movie_poster.jpg

What about this pre 9/11 movie:
Siege_movie_poster.jpg

I seem to remember this actually playing soon after 9/11 on cable. I was 13 and besides shocked, was a little jaded that this played while some channels decided against showing Godzilla movies that Halloween because of this destruction scenes being possible triggers.

It's been awhile since I seen it, but if I remember correctly, it did anticipate the Patriot Act in a way but exacerbated even more so.

Speaking of exacerbated, what about the immediate aftermath of Shaun of the Dead?

I'll drum up a better proposal on that later.

More likely what would happen is the media trying to capitalize on the tradgedy and start a neo-nazi panic similar to the satanic panic while missing the point about how someone should have noticed the signs of a deranged psyche on the making. Think Columbine aftermatch except instead of Marlyn Mason and Videogames it's anything nordic pagan and "fascist" (with what constitutes said fascism varying wildly)
On the plus side, a neo-Nazi panic would be something I'd be all in for unlike the Satanist one.

Because such moral panics work so well right? You do realize a "neo-nazi" panic might actually lead to more neo-nazis than before the panic started?
I guess if we are talking about stuff like banning any talk of the Holocaust and media like Wolfenstine because they have Nazis in them that could be the case. If its hunting for surviving Nazis like Mengle and an increased focus on spreading awareness and educating people on Nazi atrocities, I would be supportive.

Last edited:
I guess if we are talking about stuff like banning any talk of the Holocaust and stuff like Wolfenstine because they have Nazis that could be the case. If its hunt for surviving Nazis like Mengle and an increased focus on spreading awareness and educating people on Nazi atrocities, I would be supportive.

It would be the first one for sure. Moral panics are always about jumping at shadows and virtue signaling instead of actually addressing the problem.

The film Death of a President, which focuses upon George W. Bush being assassinated in 2007 by a man whose son died in the Iraq War. However, an innocent man of Arabic origins is arrested for the crime and is on death row. Dick Cheney becomes America's 44th president, and pushes through another Patriot Act. All of this would have huge consequences for the average American's psyche and trust in government, history's perception of the Bush Administration, the place of neoconservative geopolitics, and the fabric of electoral politics. In particular, the likely scenario of a Obama vs. Cheney election and its aftermath is not addressed (the film was released before the 2008 primaries).

Last edited: